What's new

Asuswrt-Merlin - custom build of the Asus RT-N66U firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New additions since 144:

BandLuxe_C339
Celot_CT680
Celot_K300
Cisco_AM10
HISENSE_E910
HUAWEI_EC306
Haier_CE682
Huawei_E173_MoiveStar
Huawei_E353
Huawei_EC122
Huawei_EC1262
Huawei_K5005
IODATA_WMX2_U
LG_L_02C_LTE
LG_L_07A
LG_L_08C
LG_SD711
MediaTek_MT6276M
Nokia_CS_21M_02
NovatelU720
Onda_MSA14_4
Option_GI1515
Option_Globetrotter
Option_ICON_711
Pantech_UM150
Pantech_UM175
Qisda_H21
SU_8000U
Samsung_GT_B1110
Sierra_U595
Sierra_U598
StrongRising_Air_FlexiNet
T_W_WU160
Tata_Photon_plus
Telewell_TW_3G
ZTE_A371B
ZTE_MF192_VAR
ZTE_MF637_2
ZTE_MF652
ZTE_MF652_VAR

They are defined, but I cannot confirm if that means they actually work or not.

Last edited:
@RMerlin,

Interesting, actually my modem is in that list (Huawei K5005) :)

But can you chose one of them from the drop down list? I can only see the old ones that I posted. Didn't clear my settings since I went from the 155 version, maybe I have to do that.

EDIT: No, clearing to factory settings didn't do anything except I found out that it was not possible to go back with previously saved .cfg file. Had to enter all the settings once more :(
Also notice that the settings file is around 32k big, if all the NVRAM settings are saved without compression shouldn't it be 64K?

Last edited:
@RMerlin,

Interesting, actually my modem is in that list (Huawei K5005) :)

But can you chose one of them from the drop down list? I can only see the old ones that I posted. Didn't clear my settings since I went from the 155 version, maybe I have to do that.

Asus added them to the list of USB devices in the code, but they probably haven't added them to the webui yet. Might be work-in-progress - remember this is based on unreleased code.

EDIT: No, clearing to factory settings didn't do anything except I found out that it was not possible to go back with previously saved .cfg file. Had to enter all the settings once more :(

Just tested a factory default reset + reloading my settings, and it worked fine for me. Either you had an old config file that wasn't compatible (in general, you should always save a new backup whenever you change firmware version - this is true for any kind of firmware), or your browser was confused and you needed to restart it, and log back in the router.

Also notice that the settings file is around 32k big, if all the NVRAM settings are saved without compression shouldn't it be 64K?

Only the used space is saved, it's not an actual direct image of the partition. My test backup is 35 KB here.

Is it possible to add more than two custom dns servers to dnsmasq's host file?

Noticed also that wl interference mitigation mode is set to 0 (off). Before, at least on the my R-N16 and .155, is was set to option 4.

interference
Get/Set interference mitigation mode. Choices are:
0 = none
1 = non wlan
2 = wlan manual
3 = wlan automatic
4 = wlan automatic with noise reduction

Is it possible to add more than two custom dns servers to dnsmasq's host file?

Noticed also that wl interference mitigation mode is set to 0 (off). Before, at least on the my R-N16 and .155, is was set to option 4.

interference
Get/Set interference mitigation mode. Choices are:
0 = none
1 = non wlan
2 = wlan manual
3 = wlan automatic

dnsmasq: You could replace the dnsmasq config file in a service-start script, then restart dnsmasq yourself. Too limited usefulness and too much changes required to implement additional entries on the webui.

interference: I see nothing in the firmware that sets that option, therefore it might be the default option that Asus sets in the (binary-only) driver and that they changed for some unknown reason. If you want to set it to a different value, you should be able to do so through an init-start script.

Try this to see if this is enabled:
wl -i eth1 interference

syntax is:
interference Get/Set interference mitigation mode.

Choices are:

0 = none
1 = non wlan
2 = wlan manual
3 = wlan automatic

So to enable it on your Wireless Lan you would do:
wl -i eth1 interference 2

Then to confirm the setting took,
wl -i eth1 interference

So a before and after would be to check status:
wl -i eth1 status

And finally to turn it off:
wl -i eth1 interference 0

Last edited:
Your latest firmware says it's based on 3.0.0.3.157. Why am I not seeing the regular 3.0.0.3.157 firmware anywhere or info about it ?

Thanks

Your latest firmware says it's based on 3.0.0.3.157. Why am I not seeing the regular 3.0.0.3.157 firmware anywhere or info about it ?

Thanks

This is based on unreleased code. See this post for the details, also explained in the included changelog.

Last edited:
Updated OP with 3.0.0.3.157.12 Beta 2.

The big change in this version is the new NAT loopback code. The new NAT loopback code is based on an idea posted by Phuzi0n on the DD-WRT forums. The original code Asus was using is old DD-WRT/Tomato code that had the pretty bad sideeffet of NAT'ing every single connection between LAN devices. In addition to the usual double-NAT issues, this was also responsible for the crashes when enabling GRO and accessing a LAN device over VPN (NAT on top of VPN on top of NAT - I'll let you picture the results...).

This fix allowed me to re-enable GRO support, so in theory this should improve network performance when you are sharing files on a plugged USB device.

What I mostly need tested for this version:
  • General stability - making sure that the NAT loopback + re-enabled GRO support aren't causing new issues
  • Network performance when accessing files stored on a USB disk (especially compared with Beta 1)
  • Dual WAN - still looking for feedback on whether this is working as intended

Barring any new issue, I'd like to be able to push out a final release sometime next week.

Thanks everyone for their comments and support - that's really appreciated :)

Before I switch, is /mnt selectable in the servers page? I always have 2 USB hdds attached.

Thanks.

Before I switch, is /mnt selectable in the servers page? I always have 2 USB hdds attached.

Thanks.

If you are referring to the Media Server, then it works the same way it does in Asus's firmware. If you can't set it to the desired path check somewhere in this thread, I posted instructions on how to manually point to a different location - I don't remember what was the name of the nvram variable.

Just updated to the newest beta.

Seems to be running expect dual wan.

I got a cable connection as primary and I took and plugged a DSL connection i still have from work.
Set it to fail over with lan port 4.

But when i unplug my primary, it doesnt switch over. If I set the primary to LAN port 4 - its working just fine the connection.

So the switch over part isnt working correctly.

Keep in mind that the switch over doesn't happen immediately - the router will try re-establishing the main connection a few times before switching (in case it's just a temporary issue).

Monitor your syslog (tail /tmp/syslog.log -f) after unplugging the primary connection. Keep an eye for any wanduck message - I do see actual code that should try to re-establish the connections a few times (with a timeout between attempts) before giving up and deciding the primary connection is really down. Give it up to 5 mins to see if you get any wanduck log entries.

I remember that this failover was working properly with build 130.

Quick question, are the QOS features working in the latest build? I couldn't search the thread for this b/c of the stupid 3 character search restriction.

Quick question, are the QOS features working in the latest build? I couldn't search the thread for this b/c of the stupid 3 character search restriction.

Unless someone reports any issue, it should be working properly as far as I can tell. I do see traffic hitting my QoS rules here.

Is the Sonos fix still in this release? I have this build and I still get the half-gui bug when the Sonos is connected.

Is the Sonos fix still in this release? I have this build and I still get the half-gui bug when the Sonos is connected.

Yes, unless some other change broke it again. Can you confirm the issue disappears if the Sonos isn't on the network?

Yes, unless some other change broke it again. Can you confirm the issue disappears if the Sonos isn't on the network?

Yes, just tried it swapping the sonos in/out again to be sure. Happens on both my n66u units, both have the same 157 build one is an AP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!