What's new

Beta ASUSWRT Official beta 386-RC1 for RT-AX89X

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ax89x on the beta 386 rc1 seems okay. 5 ghz radio is much louder than on the 384 firmware. router is 10 feet further away (than it was when on 384) from my test station and yet has a stronger signal (+6 dBm!!).

Macbook (Wifi 5) is getting 800 mbps down!! (Fastest on the old firmware was approx 700 mbps)... and the router is even further away now on 386 than before on 384!!! Asus or Qualcomm worked some magic on the backend...

Last edited:
any updates on RC2 or an update from the original beta?
I think the original poster has abandoned the thread.

(Side Note)
The Rc1 runs quite well. I installed this firmware a couple weeks ago and have not run across any issues. There are 8 people in my house and at any given time there are like 15 and up clients running at same time. So it seems pretty solid to me.

has Asus abandoned this product?
Kinda has because
  • Inadequate cooling and fan issues
  • Ridiculously expensive
  • No custom firmware prevented enthusiasts from buying
  • It is simply not in stock anywhere.
  • Asus themselves are refunding entire amount to people having serious issues

At best, Asus will continue firmware updates at slower pace (like RT-AC87U, Blue Cave) for the time being. But the fan breaking down before firmware updates stop coming in is a real concern.

I will look for a refund, does not feel that Asus will merge this product into the new 386 ai mesh 2.0 firmware stream.

It doesn't specifically say aimesh 2.0 but it says that there was a fix.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201119-112953.jpg
    Screenshot_20201119-112953.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 194
When Asus releases (for all supported routers) its 386.xx code, I'm confident there will be an update for this model too.

If everything else is working for someone except the lack of 'updates', I would suggest a bit of patience is required here.

I'm sure that Asus is concentrating on the biggest group at a time possible, the model here is certainly not one of its biggest volume sellers.

Kinda has because
  • Inadequate cooling and fan issues
  • Ridiculously expensive
  • No custom firmware prevented enthusiasts from buying
  • It is simply not in stock anywhere.
  • Asus themselves are refunding entire amount to people having serious issues

At best, Asus will continue firmware updates at slower pace (like RT-AC87U, Blue Cave) for the time being. But the fan breaking down before firmware updates stop coming in is a real concern.
where are you seeing that people are having fan issues?

Mine is working wonderfully, just to give a little insight. Big upgrade from my ac87u, only wish I could get the Merlin firmware.
Mine is running amazing as well. I just haven't seen where many people are having problems with there units. Also checking netgear website they have shortages on there top tier routers also. 2020 has just been a bad year for electronics in general.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!