What's new

Attaching My Passport 3.0 on RT-AC86U (LAN only)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GK59

Regular Contributor
I've had this drive for a few months now but never hooked it up to my router until now after upgrading from NT66U to my new AC86U. It's formatted in NTFS and plugged into the USB 3 slot of course and I have USB Application open and "Enable Share" is on, Samba Protocol is SMBv1+SMBv2 but unsure of the rest of the settings, and only want to use the drive on the local network only, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
So if I have this set up correctly and I see it in my Network and can access it etc. but I can't seem to run WD Security app, it says "Attach a supported WD drive", what am I missing here? Also I created an account for myself under the main admin and password protected it but it doesn't prompt for the Network pw assigned. I've attached a few pics of the setup...

Attachments

• USB App-1.png
    USB App-1.png
    287.6 KB · Views: 440
  • admin account.png
    admin account.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
You'll have to explain some more what you mean by this.
I've edited as you posted...

I installed it just fine, it just doesn't sense it and gives the "Attach supported WD drive"

I've also fixed my Network password issue, just forgot to "apply" main settings after "apply permissions".

Last edited:
The router and Samba setup are fine and working properly.

I've not used the WD app's, but looking at the description of WD Security on their website I doubt you'd be able to use it.

As far as I can tell WD Security needs to talk directly to the HDD controller to perform the encryption/decryption. That's not possible when the drive is not locally attached to the computer running the app. SMB/CIFS (aka Samba) is a network protocol.

The router and Samba setup are fine and working properly.

I've not used the WD app's, but looking at the description of WD Security on their website I doubt you'd be able to use it.

As far as I can tell WD Security needs to talk directly to the HDD controller to perform the encryption/decryption. That's not possible when the drive is not locally attached to the computer running the app. SMB/CIFS (aka Samba) is a network protocol.
right and I was thinking it would be redundant with it attached to the network. Thanks Colin.

Now I can't seem to log into the admin account of the drive, I'm assuming we use the same credentials as the router itself? I created a temp account and assigned full R/W and a password and I connected fine with that, just not the admin account. Or is the 'admin' account a place holder to create actual account(s) under it to access the drive? If so, why are there permission properties for the admin drive when whatever is checked doesn't affect any accounts under it.

It appears to let me access the drive under an account with full R/W, even with a password, now I don't get the prompt for the pw as I had before.

Colin, is this post by you here, if I understand that correctly the reason why if I name an account the same as my windows login why it won't prompt for a password? (edit: nvm, this is indeed the case)

Attachments

• Network credentials.png
    Network credentials.png
    8.6 KB · Views: 474
  • admin account.png
    admin account.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
For whatever reason I can't get my PC to see this drive on it's network, but my laptop it is seen just fine. I've added my PC account details, pw etc. but still not showing up...

Network discovery is on but when I turn it on and save then go back it shows as off, same as on my laptop but it works there just not on the PC...

still not showing up, any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• Network Discovery.png
    Network Discovery.png
    130.3 KB · Views: 563
  • Network Discovery-2.png
    Network Discovery-2.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
What version of Windows are running on the PC and laptop?

For Windows 10 make sure "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client" is enabled in "Turn Windows features on or off".

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...rk-discovery-in-network-and-sharing-center-in

Are the following Windows services running?
  • DNS Client
  • Function Discovery Resource Publication
  • SSDP Discovery
  • UPnP Device Host
Win 10 Home x64 on laptop, 10 Pro x64 on PC, enabled all of these still a no go...

Edit: check that, it works now, thanks Colin.

btw, do we need just the "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client" enabled or the global "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support"?

btw, do we need just the "SMB 1.0/CIFS Client" enabled or the global "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support"?
If you want Samba shares to appear in Windows Explorer you only need the SMB client. You'd only need the SMB server if you wanted any shares you have on your PC to be visible via SMB to other users on the network (think Linux Samba clients).

If you want Samba shares to appear in Windows Explorer you only need the SMB client. You'd only need the SMB server if you wanted any shares you have on your PC to be visible via SMB to other users on the network (think Linux Samba clients).
Colin, many thanks for your assistance. For now I just have the SMB Client enabled, just sharing the USB drive is enough for now. In the past I always turn off UPnP device host for security reasons and noticed that after I added the drive I can leave this off with no issues.