What's new

Auto-restart every night?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

r00t

New Around Here
I've had this issue with my AC86U that randomly the 2.4 GHz stops working and I can't for the life of me fix it. I've tried everything I can think of, changed to merlin and back, but the only thing that manages to fix it is a reboot.

So I scheduled a reboot for a couple of times a week but it still sometimes bugs out in-between reboots.

My question is: would it be harmful to restart it every night?

I guess if you're already auto-rebooting twice a week plus the manual reboots changing to a daily reboot probably won't be that much more harmful. Perhaps if your router is on the verge of a hardware failure it might tip it over the edge. But that would be a good thing, because then you'd be able to justify to yourself the purchase of a new more reliable router.

I've had this issue with my AC86U that randomly the 2.4 GHz stops working and I can't for the life of me fix it. I've tried everything I can think of, changed to merlin and back, but the only thing that manages to fix it is a reboot.

So I scheduled a reboot for a couple of times a week but it still sometimes bugs out in-between reboots.

My question is: would it be harmful to restart it every night?
Mine doesn't do that but if it does that again. If you can on Merlin go to ssh and try. "radio off 0" . Wait a few sec. Then "radio on 0". Does that fix the 2.4ghz? If yes you can just create a cronjob to do it automatically. It should only restart the 2.4ghz. That way you don't have to reboot every night which will disconnect everything etc.

Good thinking @Matthew Patrick. If that works then there's the "wireless scheduler" option in the Wireless - Professional settings which should do the same thing.
Yep but I think that will restart the whole wifi interface. So both 2.4 and 5ghz. If radio off and on 0 works fine. It should be better since it will only do the 2.4ghz which means devices connected to the 5ghz band will be uninterrupted. Oh and If there are clients on the 2.4ghz that supports 5ghz it should roam too so it should be nicer