What's new

AX86u - Beta5 Merlin FW is out!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky1111

Folks, many of you already discovered that Merlin released the much awaited RT-AX86U_386.1_beta5.zip!!!

From the Release notes: (@RMerlin - please correct me if I am quoting it wrong):
- UPDATED: Merged GPL 386_41700
- UPDATED: Openssl to 1.1.1i.
- UPDATED: Updated to OpenVPN 2.5.0. Note that OpenVPN 2.4.0 or newer is now required by the exported client config file. You can still manually configure an older client to connect with your router.
- UPDATED: dnsmasq to 2.84 (themiron)
- UPDATED: nano to 5.2.
- UPDATED: curl to 7.72.0.
- UPDATED: zlib to 1.2.11.
- UPDATED: lz4 to 1.9.2.
- UPDATED: e2fsprogs to 1.45.6.
- UPDATED: dropbear to 2020.81.
- UPDATED: miniupnpd to 2.2 (git snapshot from 20201129)
- UPDATED: Switched userspace ipset from 6.32 to 7.6 (to match with upstream)
- CHANGED: firmware update checks are no longer using the server address stored in nvram, for security purposes. Devs who were using that nvram should instead edit the webs_scripts/* to use their own URL.
- CHANGED: The old legacy cipher setting is now only available when running with static key authentication.
- CHANGED: Tweaks to the OpenVPN webui layout
- CHANGED: OpenVPN clients will now NAT all outbound traffic, regardless of the source subnet.
- CHANGED: Reworked the display of DNSPrivacy presets
- CHANGED: Added AdGuard (ad blocking) and CIRA Canadian Shield (non US-based service) to the DNSPrivacy presets.
- CHANGED: At boot time, OpenVPN killswitch will only be applied for clients set to auto-start with WAN.
- CHANGED: Increased number of available mount points for addon webpages to 20.
- CHANGED: Multiple routes can now be defined per client on the OpenVPN client-specific configuration.
- CHANGED: Improved NAT acceleration report for newer models on the sysinfo page. Now query the hardware for the current state instead of reporting the nvram values.
- CHANGED: When logging allowed connections is enabled, also log outbound LAN connections (reverts to the behaviour from a few years ago)
- FIXED: DHCP could fail to renew its lease with some ISPs when Trend Micro engine was enabled (workaround provided by Asus)
- FIXED: OpenVPN client remote IP wasn't updated on client stop/restart.
- FIXED: Couldn't force generating a new SSL certificate for the webui.
- REMOVED: Option to disable NCP. The NCP cipher list is now used both for NCP and non-NCP endpoints.
- REMOVED: fq_codel support for Adaptive QoS. Due to a change in how Trend Micro configures QoS, it is no longer possible to intercept these to inject fq_codel.
- REMOVED: Option to select sfq as a queue scheduler for t.QoS or Bandwidth Limiter, and always use fq_codel.
- REMOVED: Support for the Cloudcheck mobile app.

P.S. Correction: http://www.snbforums.com/threads/as...ta-stage-2-is-now-available.69116/post-655426

Many thanks on behalf of the community!

Last edited:
@RMerlin - few questions:
- do you expected performance issues that were in Beta4 / 386_41535 to be address in this release? (not very clear what 41700 addresses)
- are you expecting any improvements in AIMesh (stability, bug fixes, etc.)?

Many thanks again!

do you expected performance issues that were in Beta4 / 386_41535 to be address in this release?

I don't know because I didn't encounter these issues.

are you expecting any improvements in AIMesh (stability, bug fixes, etc.)?
Should be since Asus went from 41535 to 41700 there.

Awesome! I'll try out later today. The only issues I've noticed with Beta 4 has been that FlexQOS isn't performing well (against speedtest anyway) I mimicked the same setup as I have been using successfully under a AC68U. (recent AX86U convert now that there is Merlin support)

I am waiting for my kids to finish their online classes to try it myself.
Also thinking about doing hardcore full reset - L&LD style :) - with the new FW

I am getting this warning when I try to install over beta 3 on the RT-AC68U

Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

UPDATE: I got it working. I just had to do it from a machine that is closer to the router, since I was on a machine hooked up to an AiMesh node.

Also Beta 5 appears to have the caching turned on for some of the JavaScript files, it has some noticeable improvement https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/657

Going through the logs there should be more that are cacheable https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/issues/681

I think the general pattern I found is that as long as you don't see `<%` in the code (specifically JavaScript or HTML code) it should be cacheable.

Last edited:
I am getting this warning when I try to install over beta 3 on the RT-AC68U

Invalid Firmware Upload
To comply with regulatory amendments, we have modified our certification rule to ensure better firmware quality. This version is not compatible with all previously released ASUS firmware and uncertified third party firmware. Please check our official websites for the certified firmware.

UPDATE: I got it working. I just had to do it from a machine that is closer to the router, since I was on a machine hooked up to an AiMesh node.
please make sure that the FW you flashing matches your hardware...

Blocking wifi client device from internet doesn't work on RT-AX86U. On the Asus framework I just clicked the "Block Internet Access" on the client, worked properly.
- Tried the beta4 and now the beta5 too, with factory reset.
- Tried without any advanced features turned on (with factory reset too)
- Tried with guest wifi too (on the 2nd or 3rd place too).
- Also tried some workaround like setting a non existing DNS address for the client IP in the DHCP server settings, didn't help.

If it's useful:
- the device uses 2.4ghz wifi,
- and it's an IP camera and I would like to prevent it to stream the video externally (so not sure which protocol it uses) and use it only locally.

@RMerlin thanks for checking this, and if you or anybody else have any workaround please share it.

Please don`t spread beta feedback accross multiple threads, use the Beta thread for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!