What's new

AX86u to replace Dream machine?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carnagerover

Hi all,

I have a Unifi Dream Machine that used to be stable and did most of the things I wanted, even had SQM which for the most part worked ok, except when multiple flows from the same PC or device would occur. However my UDM updated itself automatically from 1.5.6 to 1.8.0 firmware and every since stability has gone right out the window even now on 1.9.x firmware, doesn’t last more than a week anymore.

If I bought the AX86U and put Merlin on there using the Cake QOS would this be a stable option going forward? It seems a bit of a mixed bag stability wise looking through the forums here.

Last edited:
All depends on what you want in a router. Yes, Merlin has more features but I feel the Asus factory firmware is more stable and what is what I am using right now. I am also using a Pi 3B+ as a DNS server with DoT/DNSSEC because Asus stock lacks those features. Add blocking, VPN Client and "firewall security" do not concern me beyond what the Asus firmware provides. I feel the performance on my 100/100 FIOS is a bit better with the Asus firmware.

All depends on what you want in a router. Yes, Merlin has more features but I feel the Asus factory firmware is more stable and what is what I am using right now. I am also using a Pi 3B+ as a DNS server with DoT/DNSSEC because Asus stock lacks those features. Add blocking, VPN Client and "firewall security" do not concern me beyond what the Asus firmware provides. I feel the performance on my 100/100 FIOS is a bit better with the Asus firmware.
Hi,

My internet connection is 62Mbps down and 20Mbps up. Things that are important to me are stability and QOS, that is about it although range is also welcome. My ISP supplied router is a Fritzbox 7530 which is 100% stable but lacks a little in the WiFi range and QOS ability.

I have about 10 wired clients and about 21 WiFi clients, I use my Synology DS220+ as an adblock server with adguard and that works well for me. I know that Synology have a router in the RT2600ac and I can see that it has traffic management but I don’t think it uses anything like fq_codel as far as I am aware it seems more like bandwidth control. I would prefer to use Pie as my QOS as it has fair queue per IP address unlike codes which seems to get overwhelmed by things like steam etc.

Hi all,

I have a Unifi Dream Machine that used to be stable and did most of the things I wanted, even had SQM which for the most part worked ok, except when multiple flows from the same PC or device would occur. However my UDM updated itself automatically from 1.5.6 to 1.8.0 firmware and every since stability has gone right out the window even now on 1.9.x firmware, doesn’t last more than a week anymore.

If I bought the AX86U and put Merlin on there using the Cake QOS would this be a stable option going forward? It seems a bit of a mixed back stability wise looking through the forums here.
Cake-QoS is working very well on my AX86U running Merlin 386.2_beta2. I get solid triple A+ scores on DSLReports ... and have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at it from a bunch of wired and wireless devices ... without buffering or stammering. See my signature for more details on my kit.

Cake-QoS is working very well on my AX86U running Merlin 386.2_beta2. I get solid triple A+ scores on DSLReports ... and have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at it from a bunch of wired and wireless devices ... without buffering or stammering. See my signature for more details on my kit.
How is the stability over time?

Rock steady as far as built in Cake-QoS is concerned.

I don't use guest wifi #1 - others may have succeeded with this model and Aimesh ... but not me - works but wobbly.

How is the stability over time?
I have had the AX86U about three weeks. Have been switching between factory and Merlin firmware so I have no long term experience. Went back to Merlin beta yesterday. Running with both firmwares the router is rock solid! The 2.4 GHZ does not seem as strong as an AC86U. The 5 GHZ seems stronger. I am using the 2.5 Gig port for my NAS. WIFI set to Dual Band SmartConnect with AX mode enabled, WPA2/WPA3 Personal, 2.4 GHZ at 20 MHZ, 5 GHZ at 80 MHZ, universal beamforming and airtime fairness disabled. Some of my AC clients are connecting with WPA3! The two new laptops with AX really do well. Even run a couple of very old G cams with no problems.
Buy the AX86U if you can find one.

I feel your pain with your dream machine. I have an Amplifi Alien that until the last two firmware updates was working fantastic. Now they messed it up so bad it’s barely stable and working now. I don’t know what’s going on over there but Amplifi was great, they’ve actually pushed firmware updates same day the bug was reported, now crickets and weeks of waiting to fix a firmware problem if at all. Worse is they don’t allow you to roll back to a previous firmware and refuse to provide a solution, you’re stuck with what they push out. Something going on over there and it isint good.

I did grab a brand new RT-AX86U off of OfferUp and so far it’s been really great. I don’t think I’ll go back to Amplifi even if they get their act together.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!