What's new

AX88U as main AIMESH and AX11000 as node. Node disconnect once per week

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

welim

New Around Here
Hi, new to this forum. If I ask not clearly, please pardon me.
1. AIMESH main => AX88U (firmware 388.4 release)
2. AIMESH node => AX11000 (firmware 388.4 release)

For the AIMESH main, I do a reboot every two days at early morning when all asleep. I expect it will also do reboot for the AIMESH node.

This morning, I saw AIMESH node cannot be found. Basically AIMESH system, this node get disconnected.
Anyone encounter this? It seems AIMESH node got disconnected happen pretty frequent. Is ASUS AIMESH reliable or we need to reboot often to keep AIMESH system proper ?

May I also ask should I use 388.4_beta3 or should I use the main release?

Best Regards,
Wee-How

Hi, new to this forum. If I ask not clearly, please pardon me.
1. AIMESH main => AX88U (firmware 388.4 release)
2. AIMESH node => AX11000 (firmware 388.4 release)

For the AIMESH main, I do a reboot every two days at early morning when all asleep. I expect it will also do reboot for the AIMESH node.

This morning, I saw AIMESH node cannot be found. Basically AIMESH system, this node get disconnected.
Anyone encounter this? It seems AIMESH node got disconnected happen pretty frequent. Is ASUS AIMESH reliable or we need to reboot often to keep AIMESH system proper ?

May I also ask should I use 388.4_beta3 or should I use the main release?

Best Regards,
Wee-How

Please remove the "news" flag from your post.

It may be your reboots that are causing this. If you don't have a reason/need for pereodic reboots, don't do it. It likely is causing them to come back online around the same time and getting confused when trying to re-synch.

Thank you drinkingbird. I see.. I have the main router being AC88U (wifi off) and connect to various RJ45 point. One of the RJ45, I hookup to AIMESH main (AX88U) to use for the Wifi at home. The AX11000 is another as AIMESH node which connect to the AX88U via wifi...likely 5G-2 . I do a daily reboot for the "main router" (AC88U, not using merlin firmware since its not supported). It was not behaving properly after few days of run. By making it reboot daily, I dont have such unstable issue. So I thought that all ASUS modem required periodic reboot to maintain integrity...
Ok, I will stop the reboot and see how it behave for the AIMESH main and node.

Apology to my ignorant about the setting to "NEWS". I tried to remove or change, it dont allow me to click it.
Lastly, is "beta" consider unreliable as its not tested fully and we should always using "release" ?

Best Regards,
Wee-How

Apology to my ignorant about the setting to "NEWS". I tried to remove or change, it dont allow me to click it.
Click "Edit" at the bottom of your first post and then change the prefix of the title to "(No prefix)".

Thank you drinkingbird. I see.. I have the main router being AC88U (wifi off) and connect to various RJ45 point. One of the RJ45, I hookup to AIMESH main (AX88U) to use for the Wifi at home. The AX11000 is another as AIMESH node which connect to the AX88U via wifi...likely 5G-2 . I do a daily reboot for the "main router" (AC88U, not using merlin firmware since its not supported). It was not behaving properly after few days of run. By making it reboot daily, I dont have such unstable issue. So I thought that all ASUS modem required periodic reboot to maintain integrity...
Ok, I will stop the reboot and see how it behave for the AIMESH main and node.

Lastly, is "beta" consider unreliable as its not tested fully and we should always using "release" ?

Best Regards,
Wee-How

Why are you using the oldest and least capable router as your main router?

Don't run Merlin on the nodes, not needed. And try to keep your main router and nodes on the same code base, as close in version number as possible. 386 on the main and 388 on the nodes can be an issue.

Also beta is beta. It is not necessarily stable, that's why it is called that. Run released firmware unless you want to participate in testing or the beta has fixed a specific issue that affects you.

Also worth mentioning is the AC88U has problems with LAN ports 5-8 so don't use any of them 4. If you need extra ports get a cheap 1Gbe switch from amazon.

Why are you using the oldest and least capable router as your main router?

Don't run Merlin on the nodes, not needed. And try to keep your main router and nodes on the same code base, as close in version number as possible. 386 on the main and 388 on the nodes can be an issue.

Also beta is beta. It is not necessarily stable, that's why it is called that. Run released firmware unless you want to participate in testing or the beta has fixed a specific issue that affects you.
Thank you DrinkingBird. Not sure why I didnt rx this response via email but thank you so much for the help. I used AC88U as my wifi router previously. When I upgrade to wifi6, I bought the AX88U and then followed by AX11000. As I need an 8ports router from the optical modem, I set the AC88U as the router with wifi disabled. All RJ45 ports of my house will connect to this AC88U.

I then connect one of the RJ45 port in my house to AX88U. The other node is AX11000 (via wifi). I used AX88U as the main wifi mesh is because I found AX88U has superior Wifi strength and stability. At least the signal strength at the AX11000 further away from AX88U has a better strength and throughput. If I use AX11000 as the main mesh node, the AX88U at the other further end isnt receive a better signal quality and throughput. I deduce AX11000 isnt as good as AX88U and therefore make AX88U as the main mesh router.

The AC88U as the main router (not mesh) is because I just need a router which is at my basement. The wifi is not useful as it cant propagate up to my house. If I use the new AX88U or AX11000 as the main router, I wasted the wifi capability (wifi6).

If you know of better option, do let me know and I appreciate all the help.
I've disabled the wifi mesh timer (ie schedule reboot). So far its working fine. It seems the scheduler to reboot is very bad and having bugs

Thank you DrinkingBird. Not sure why I didnt rx this response via email but thank you so much for the help. I used AC88U as my wifi router previously. When I upgrade to wifi6, I bought the AX88U and then followed by AX11000. As I need an 8ports router from the optical modem, I set the AC88U as the router with wifi disabled. All RJ45 ports of my house will connect to this AC88U.

I then connect one of the RJ45 port in my house to AX88U. The other node is AX11000 (via wifi). I used AX88U as the main wifi mesh is because I found AX88U has superior Wifi strength and stability. At least the signal strength at the AX11000 further away from AX88U has a better strength and throughput. If I use AX11000 as the main mesh node, the AX88U at the other further end isnt receive a better signal quality and throughput. I deduce AX11000 isnt as good as AX88U and therefore make AX88U as the main mesh router.

The AC88U as the main router (not mesh) is because I just need a router which is at my basement. The wifi is not useful as it cant propagate up to my house. If I use the new AX88U or AX11000 as the main router, I wasted the wifi capability (wifi6).

If you know of better option, do let me know and I appreciate all the help.
I've disabled the wifi mesh timer (ie schedule reboot). So far its working fine. It seems the scheduler to reboot is very bad and having bugs

If you need it strictly as a router due to location of and don't need to go over 1 gig it is probably fine, but if you have wiring from there to your AX routers, why not just eliminate the AC88 and use the ethernet from the ONT to the WAN of one of the better routers? You can then use another ethernet to run LAN back to the basement to a simple switch (which will perform much better than the 8 port dual switch setup in the Asus routers) to connect other hardwired devices.

But you may not have 2 wires to the same place to be able to do that. If the wifi is disabled and you aren't exceeding its capabilities then there is nothing inherently "wrong" with the setup, an extra device to potentially fail or cause problems but as long as you're aware that it is there and may need to be rebooted or replaced if something goes wrong, not a big deal. Also keep in mind that router is end of life and not getting updates anymore.

Don't buy a better Asus router just for 8 ports though, spend $15 on a switch and hang it off it (that's all ports 5-8 are anyway, a second switch internally connected to the first, and they are known to be problematic).

Assuming all your ethernet drops go to the basement, I'd want something along these lines:

Basement ISP handoff ---------- AX Router 1 in your main house ------------ back to cheap basement switch ----------- AX Router 2 and any other wired devices
But that assumes you can get 2 ethernets between the basement and AX router 1.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!