What's new

ax88u new firmware 3.0.0.4.384_7997-g9176478

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So far it appears stable, however were on fios with a 1000 down and 1000 up connection and have experience the following problem. We have two ax88u connected by ethernet, the access point can download at 600+ and upload at 900+ to my corporate file server off site, the ax88u that's setup as a router on this firmware only hits 500 down and 200 up. Under the 6436 firmware both the router and access point could maintain 450 to 500 up and down. This reduced upload limit was visible on previous 7xxx builds when the ax88u was in router mode. I will report back in a few days on overall stability.

Version 3.0.0.4.384.7997 2020/03/1970.63 MBytes
ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.384.7997
- Fixed CVE-2019-15126 (Kr00k) vulnerability.
- Fixed OpenVPN connection and UI bugs

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 28671fe2341967d0c49d0db676ebe0d8

It bricked my 5Ghz and messed my Lyra Mini up a little but a couple of reboots cleared it. Still early days so fingers crossed.

Before this update, i had version 7968, doing a factory reset afterwards. For this 7997 update, which i installed 2 days ago, i didn't do a factory reset, I just installed the update, then did another reboot. Checked the settings, all appears OK. I run a variety of devices (up to ~20). It was used heavily yesterday by the family, so far it's been rock solid, no drop outs ...knock on wood!!! I'll do the factory reset step if i run into problems. I usually wait a number of weeks before applying an update but was concerned with the "CVE-2019-15126 (Kr00k) vulnerability", so decided to give it a shot.

This firmware also has the same disease of stuffing up port forwarding if you change any damn single setting. Port Forwarding also randomly stops working without changing any setting. Reboot is the only option. I have set up Chrome Remote Desktop on one of the PCs to login to RT-AX88U's GUI and reboot the router from it's LAN.

I've got so fed up with it i have unplugged it. May seem a bit drastic but couldn't be bothered. Got Google Nest Wi-Fi in at the moment and although i miss the control, it does just seem to work well with no issues.... so far. I am sure something will come up. May keep the AX88u in the loft until it gets sorted.

I've got so fed up with it i have unplugged it. May seem a bit drastic but couldn't be bothered. Got Google Nest Wi-Fi in at the moment and although i miss the control, it does just seem to work well with no issues.... so far. I am sure something will come up. May keep the AX88u in the loft until it gets sorted.

unfortunately this seems to be the "normal behavior" of any new Asus firmware update. It's very frustrating. If you're looking at doing anything "special" like port forwarding, openvpn into your router, or setting the whole home to a VPN provider outbound, then it's common to run into issues. Our only alternative it seems is to go to Netgear which definitely isn't any better in my experience.

So why did we pay "top dollar" for a high end consumer grade router again?

unfortunately this seems to be the "normal behavior" of any new Asus firmware update. It's very frustrating. If you're looking at doing anything "special" like port forwarding, openvpn into your router, or setting the whole home to a VPN provider outbound, then it's common to run into issues. Our only alternative it seems is to go to Netgear which definitely isn't any better in my experience.

So why did we pay "top dollar" for a high end consumer grade router again?

pod3545, you're probably correct. As per my post above, i haven't had any issues thus far, i didn't even do a factory rest. The reason it's working well for me could be, as you said. I only use the basic functions. I have a separate NAS, so i don't use the USB ports, no Game Boost, WPS off, i don't use the AIProtection, no vpn features, etc. ...pretty well all the features off. I do though have port forwarding for SFTP, but only used on a "on needed" basis. I've used it a few times with no issues ...so far.

Now 1 of my routers had a total corruption of nvram with no settings changed. GUI started to lock up after 4 days and today the whole router became inaccessible. Thankfully WPS button Reset trick worked. Each passing day, I am losing faith in ASUS and this router. They are dishing out one turdy firmware after another.

Excellent hardware bogged down by unstable firmware.

Anyone else got the problem of high RAM utilisation as of the 7997 firmware build? Never had an issue with the previous builds.

upload_2020-3-27_15-38-47.png

No Merlin, just stock firmware. By addons you mean services? Yes, DLNA, SMB, disabling these does not seem to make a difference.

Loaded up 8018 firmware, seems to be a bit better, still higer then I recalled on previous versions. If you guys just can confirm you do not have this on your firmware builds, then I know it is something I will need to take a look at.

upload_2020-3-28_11-36-54.png

No Merlin, just stock firmware. By addons you mean services? Yes, DLNA, SMB, disabling these does not seem to make a difference.

Loaded up 8018 firmware, seems to be a bit better, still higer then I recalled on previous versions. If you guys just can confirm you do not have this on your firmware builds, then I know it is something I will need to take a look at.

View attachment 22230

Guys, this is not a problem or issue. The system is working as designed (unless you have other memory consuming software running), that is, to use almost all the available memory. If you login to a ssh session and run the 'free' command, you will easily see that half of the memory is used in buffers/cache. The system will free some of this memory when it needs to.