What's new

AX92U - slow internet speedtest after upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Well I took the plunge and upgraded to 41712 firmware and got everything set back up. Running 2 AX92U in Aimesh mode with wireless backhaul on 5ghz-2. So far everything is working flawlessly, I got my fast speeds back on wifi and no drop outs yet. Fingers crossed I don't have to mess with it again. If everything is good from here on out I'll be more hesitant with the next firmware release. I'll update post again after I get to stress test this weekend with show streaming ect.

My two AX92Us have been very stable and fast even after switching the AX92U node from AP to AiMesh. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my AC68U's (firmware 386.41634)after switching them from AP. The problem was that the 2.4ghz ssid worked fine. But I think the 5ghz ssid is confused. It's not taking the AX92U's 5ghz-1's SSID and password. Instead, it's inheriting my AX92U's 5ghz-2's SSID and password. Thing is, I'm forcing AX connections only on my 5ghz-2, so if I use this SSID on non wifi6 devices it won't be able to connect when it's near my AX92U's. I had to switch back all 3 of my AC68U's from AiMesh to AP's. I'm gonna leave my AX92U node in AiMesh.

Hopefully Asus gives us the flexibility to select which 5ghz SSID to pass from a triband router over to dual band mesh nodes instead of automatically using 5ghz-2's SSID.

Last edited:
This morning, I switched over an AX92u from AP mode to AI Mesh to see if there's been improvements on AI Mesh over AP. I ran some initial tests this morning - the guest network on AI Mesh does isolate now. Generally, clients transfer fairly seamlessly without losing ping. These are both big improvements from past. The main drawback is there's around a 5% loss in maximum transfer capability. With 1gbps internet, under AP Mode, wireless AX speeds topped out around 900-915 mbps. With AI Mesh, speeds are topping out between 865-880 mbps. I wonder if the differences is inference? AP mode allows me to pick channels for SSDs on the router and APs. I used different channels. AI Mesh uses the same channel for router and nodes.

I will leave it in AI Mesh for the weekend and see if there are any other issues.

@Piggie, it sure has been great to see the improvements AiMesh v2.0 has brought to Asus routers. Particularly for a wired backhaul setup.

The following may be helpful if you have some flexibility in your router placements. Remember, changes don't need to be extreme to work, sometimes, mere inches make a difference. :)

AiMesh Ideal Placement

Wow! Am I glad I found you folks! I have 3 AX92U's in a mesh config (one wired backhaul, the other wireless) and have had good performance from them until the fatal 41535 update. Then it went downhill.

So I had many of the same problems that folks have posted here, like the slow speed tests on the 5G network, but wired seemed ok. A big problem that I had was getting a random "WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly." error in the router log and then the WAN connection would go down on the router and I would have to manually reset it to get internet back. I did not see this error on previous FW's. Since I am WFH I am usually sitting right next to all the network gear in my office, and when I would get a disconnect like this I noticed the cable modem (an Arris TM1602 from Spectrum) would never lose connection to the cable system. Desperate for a solution about 10 days ago, I swapped out the Arris for a refurbed Netgear CM1100 which doesn't use the Puma chipset that the Arris device had (that chipset seems to be problematic in the research I have done). Not sure if that corrected the WAN error or if back rev'ing the router FW a couple of days later got me back to where I was before 41535. Trying multiple solutions at nearly the same time is not a good approach I know, but having disconnects at 3am or in the middle of a Zoom meeting for 3 weeks was totally unacceptable. My thoughts were if the cable modem had briefly hiccupped causing a disconnect of short duration then shouldn't the router check to see after some period of time if the WAN is back up and if so reconnect? (BTW, Dual WAN is disabled, DHCP query freq = Normal) Any sort of auto reconnect if that exists was not happening. Has anyone else seen this WAN error in the log?

I hesitantly updated to FW 41712 after finding this forum and hopefully my network is back in shape. So far I see no issues. Might have to wait a few hours to see if the "WAN is not functioning" error comes back.

Wow! Am I glad I found you folks! I have 3 AX92U's in a mesh config (one wired backhaul, the other wireless) and have had good performance from them until the fatal 41535 update. Then it went downhill.

So I had many of the same problems that folks have posted here, like the slow speed tests on the 5G network, but wired seemed ok. A big problem that I had was getting a random "WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly." error in the router log and then the WAN connection would go down on the router and I would have to manually reset it to get internet back. I did not see this error on previous FW's. Since I am WFH I am usually sitting right next to all the network gear in my office, and when I would get a disconnect like this I noticed the cable modem (an Arris TM1602 from Spectrum) would never lose connection to the cable system. Desperate for a solution about 10 days ago, I swapped out the Arris for a refurbed Netgear CM1100 which doesn't use the Puma chipset that the Arris device had (that chipset seems to be problematic in the research I have done). Not sure if that corrected the WAN error or if back rev'ing the router FW a couple of days later got me back to where I was before 41535. Trying multiple solutions at nearly the same time is not a good approach I know, but having disconnects at 3am or in the middle of a Zoom meeting for 3 weeks was totally unacceptable. My thoughts were if the cable modem had briefly hiccupped causing a disconnect of short duration then shouldn't the router check to see after some period of time if the WAN is back up and if so reconnect? (BTW, Dual WAN is disabled, DHCP query freq = Normal) Any sort of auto reconnect if that exists was not happening. Has anyone else seen this WAN error in the log?

I hesitantly updated to FW 41712 after finding this forum and hopefully my network is back in shape. So far I see no issues. Might have to wait a few hours to see if the "WAN is not functioning" error comes back.
Let us know if you have any problems - the new firmware (41712) seems to be working well for most. 41535 really was a disaster!! It appears ASUS mistakenly released 41535. It has since been removed from the approved firmware for AX92u.

Sorry to hear your experience. Firmware 41712 has been good with my AX92us. Firmware 41535 on AX92u was a nightmare - constant crashes and slow speed. Firmware 386.40451 worked well with AP but crashed with AI Mesh. After you've reset your router, checked cable, and cycled modem on/off - if everything is at factory defaults and you've isolated the modem and router, and the crashes continue, I'd recommend reflashing the firmware, cycle modem, and keep factory defaults and see if the error continues. At this point, if the problem persists, the problem is either the modem or router. If you have another router and that works with the modem, it's likely the router. You may want to contact ASUS tech support. I believe you have a 2 year warranty in US - so you should be in the coverage period.
Yesterday I made another reset (WPS) and switched place router/node and their power supply (the swap should not make sense i guess, but I did it).
So far, almost 24 hours later, it still works with no crashes!

The routers have been running for 4 days now no problems in logs or connection everything works. The only thing I have found that for wireless clients it's best to reserve ip in DHCP otherwise when the ip renews and you are in the node area the client drops out, with assigned ip this problem is solved. I hope they update their other AX routers with AI mesh 2.0 because I have a AX56u which doesn't have the 2.0 update yet :) .

Update on new 41712 after a weekend of kids streaming playing games ect my network has been back to 100% reliable with no device disconnects or hiccups. Looks like ASUS finally released the correct firmware this time..

Yesterday I made another reset (WPS) and switched place router/node and their power supply (the swap should not make sense i guess, but I did it).
You switched the power supplies only or the AX92U's units only?

Update on new 41712 after a weekend of kids streaming playing games ect my network has been back to 100% reliable with no device disconnects or hiccups. Looks like ASUS finally released the correct firmware this time..

Very stable, I can confirm this...
1612162141492.png

You switched the power supplies only or the AX92U's units only?
Sorry for the confusion.
Router/node and their respective power supply switched place.
So same power supply to each unit as before.

I can't explain why it is working now, but it does. My best guess is that I made another (third?) reset of the units, not the switch.

I have been running stable on 41712 on two AX92Us for a couple of days now, I upgraded from 40451. Only initial issue was to get the AiMesh node connected again to the master after hardreset. Got it solved after unplugging all ethernet cables from the AP when running the AiMesh discovery. However I have NOT experience Wifi performance improvments like other members has reported. Instead my Wifi 5G performance on the Aimesh router has dropped from 650mbps to 175. The wifi performance on the AiMesh node is still 650mbps. I am using the default 40451 wifi settings apart from Universal Beamforming which is disabled. Anyone recommending other custom adjustments to the default wifi settings on 40451?

That's good news.
I have been running stable on 41712 on two AX92Us for a couple of days now, I upgraded from 40451. Only initial issue was to get the AiMesh node connected again to the master after hardreset. Got it solved after unplugging all ethernet cables from the AP when running the AiMesh discovery. However I have NOT experience Wifi performance improvments like other members has reported. Instead my Wifi 5G performance on the Aimesh router has dropped from 650mbps to 175. The wifi performance on the AiMesh node is still 650mbps. I am using the default 40451 wifi settings apart from Universal Beamforming which is disabled. Anyone recommending other custom adjustments to the default wifi settings on 40451?
Under AI Mesh, System Settings, is Ethernet Backhaul Mode toggled on? Have you tried a System Reboot from the same menu.

Check your node is on 5ghz, if it's signal is too low (node too far away from router) then it may have dropped down to 2.4Ghz.

Check your node is on 5ghz, if it's signal is too low (node too far away from router) then it may have dropped down to 2.4Ghz.
Or if it's too close to the node, you may still be on the node instead of on the router. You can check to see which interface the client is hooked onto by checking Network Map, Client, Interface

I am using Wifi SweetSpot app on my iPhone to analyse performance, 5meters away from the main router, so I can see it is on the 5ghz network. Performance measured in the same was better on 40451

I am using Wifi SweetSpot app on my iPhone to analyse performance, 5meters away from the main router, so I can see it is on the 5ghz network. Performance measured in the same was better on 40451
Does your app tell you if you are connected to the node or router? Or if your just connected to 5 ghz? If the node and router are close together, you won't release from one to the other.

The app just tell me I am on 5ghz. But the node and router a very far apart 30meters and I can see in the syslog when the connection shift between router and node happens.

The app just tell me I am on 5ghz. But the node and router a very far apart 30meters and I can see in the syslog when the connection shift between router and node happens.
Did you try a reboot under System Settings under AI Mesh menu? If you upgraded the firmware for router and node, this will reboot the router and nodes.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!