What's new

AX92U - slow internet speedtest after upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386_41535-g1caa24a firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My euphoria for the new FW has taken a hit as I am now once again seeing the "ISP's DHCP did not function properly" errors in the system log with a WAN disconnect. Not seeing any corresponding errors in the CM110 cable modem which I recently bought (2 weeks ago). I suspected initially that the original modem was having issues but I don't believe that now. The latest log entry is below. This one was slightly different in that it appears to have briefly recovered but then could not stay connected. The only recourse is to reboot the router.

Feb 2 03:45:54 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Feb 2 03:46:32 kernel: 20:02:AF:EE:C8:96 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Feb 2 03:46:32 kernel: B0:68:E6:7C:29:A1 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Feb 2 03:47:38 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.
Feb 2 03:47:38 dnsmasq[1318]: ignoring nameserver 192.168.0.254 - local interface
Feb 2 03:47:47 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:47:53 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:47:59 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:48:05 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:48:11 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:48:17 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:48:23 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:48:33 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

So I am wondering if a factory reset is worth the effort, as I have a lot of DHCP reserved addresses I would have to re-add manually, etc. I am not even convinced that the factory reset is necessary. Anyone care to enlighten me? Once again I have 3 AX92U's setup in a mesh network.

Thanks in adv!

I found fatal error in my log today and yesterday, I run latest firmware . I run only AP-settings, see some of the log.

Attachments

• syslog(4).txt
    13.8 KB · Views: 120
I found fatal error in my log today and yesterday, I run latest firmware . I run only AP-settings, see some of the log.
I see the error - did the router crash? I don't see a crash log. It looks like there was an error but it didn't result in a crash. I had a similar error but it was a one time occurrence and didn't lead to any events. No disconnect occurred and the network remained stable. Did you lose network connectivity during the event?

My euphoria for the new FW has taken a hit as I am now once again seeing the "ISP's DHCP did not function properly" errors in the system log with a WAN disconnect. Not seeing any corresponding errors in the CM110 cable modem which I recently bought (2 weeks ago). I suspected initially that the original modem was having issues but I don't believe that now. The latest log entry is below. This one was slightly different in that it appears to have briefly recovered but then could not stay connected. The only recourse is to reboot the router.

Feb 2 03:45:54 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Feb 2 03:46:32 kernel: 20:02:AF:EE:C8:96 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Feb 2 03:46:32 kernel: B0:68:E6:7C:29:A1 not mesh client, can't update it's ip
Feb 2 03:47:38 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.
Feb 2 03:47:38 dnsmasq[1318]: ignoring nameserver 192.168.0.254 - local interface
Feb 2 03:47:47 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:47:53 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:47:59 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:48:05 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:48:11 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:48:17 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:48:23 dnsmasq[1318]: Maximum number of concurrent DNS queries reached (max: 150)
Feb 2 03:48:33 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

So I am wondering if a factory reset is worth the effort, as I have a lot of DHCP reserved addresses I would have to re-add manually, etc. I am not even convinced that the factory reset is necessary. Anyone care to enlighten me? Once again I have 3 AX92U's setup in a mesh network.

Thanks in adv!
Have you tried turning your modem on and off? If that doesn't work, you may try contacting your ISP and have them reconfigure your modem. If that doesn't work, since it's a new modem, I'd exchange it. Better safe than sorry.

I see the error - did the router crash? I don't see a crash log. It looks like there was an error but it didn't result in a crash. I had a similar error but it was a one time occurrence and didn't lead to any events. No disconnect occurred and the network remained stable. Did you lose network connectivity during the event?
Seems to be stable, I have not taken any reboot ...

Have you tried turning your modem on and off? If that doesn't work, you may try contacting your ISP and have them reconfigure your modem. If that doesn't work, since it's a new modem, I'd exchange it. Better safe than sorry.
Have not tried power cycle but this morning I went into the modem web interface and did a reboot from there. I have seen some forums where Comcast users have requested their tech support to re-provision their modems and it clears the problem. The previous modem I had (an Arris TM1602 from Spectrum) would show a SYNC Timing failure (see attached). Those errors were at exactly the same time I would get the "ISP's DHCP did not function properly" errors in the system log with a WAN disconnect. So looking at some information on that modem turns out its Puma chipset is problematic, which made me decide to buy my own modem, a Netgear CM1100 which doesn't use that chipset. Looking at the CM1100s event log I don't see any errors in parallel with these latest WAN drops. So I am not sure now if Spectrum is sending something the AX92U doesn't like or the other way around. Back when I had the previous modem, I asked Spectrum tech to look at it remotely and tell me what those errors meant. She was not too savy and told me she couldn't see any errors. She even told me I could not use a Cat 6 cable from the router to the modem, which had been there for at least a couple of years now. I'm getting wordy again....

Arris_TM1602AP2_EvtLog_SN_86P2T853C103074_20200116.png

I will try calling them and get them to re-provision the modem and see if that helps.

UPDATE: Since the re-provision was sent to the modem 2 days ago, I have not had any more WAN disconnects. Will have to monitor with fingers, toes, everything crossed.

Thanks a bunch for your patience and assistance.

Last edited:
See the log file, what does the router do here, May 5 ...., we are probably still in February. I have not touched the router in several days

Attachments

• syslog(4).txt
    409.8 KB · Views: 111
See the log file, what does the router do here, May 5 ...., we are probably still in February. I have not touched the router in several days
Mine shows a May 5 date whenever the router is rebooted (maybe yours crashed?). I assume during a reboot the internal clock gets reset to some default time until it gets an update from an ntp server. It looks like yours had a problem trying to get that update, but was finally successful.

Is there a way to change the ntp server selection or have secondary's, or is that built in to the router and cant be changed?

To me it look like your router did a reboot somewhere between Feb 4 08:20:47 and Feb 4 08:42:41. Asus routers always default to May 5th time during bootup, before the correct time is syncronised. I can not explain why there are so many "NTP start update" during startup??

As others have mentioned that's the start up sequence. It looks like the router powered off and powered on. Did you have a power outage? Or did someone turn it on/off? There doesn't seem to be a crash in the syslog.

thanks ... my wife just came to inform me that the power (light) in the whole district has been gone today for 15 minutes. That explains the situation

Guys, there is a Beta firmware out that requires manual install. It is a "quick fix" for several serious vulnerabilities .

Version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 Beta Version
2021/02/03 61.79 MBytes
ASUS RT-AX92U Firmware version 9.0.0.4.386.41994 (Beta Version)
Security Fixed:
Fixed CVE-2020-25681, CVE-2020-25682, CVE-2020-25683, CVE-2020-25687, CVE-2020-25684, CVE-2020-25685, CVE-2020-25686

Please be noted this is a quick fix beta version for DNSmasq vulnerabilities. Refer to "Method 2: Update Manually" in https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008000 to update this firmware.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 344aac862943f4f5026531587c4e04ea

Just a quick update from my side. Apologies, but I'm not as technical minded as some of you, so please be gentle.

I'm (or should I say, was) running 2 x AX92u (one set as router the other aimesh node) and a AX58u as a mesh node.
I'm on the 41712 firmware on the AX92u's and 41700 on the 58u.
Since updating to the 41712 firmware, we've experienced lots of weird issues, wifi drop outs, wireless clients not re-connecting once disconnected, wifi speeds dropping drastically on all channels. My mission this weekend was to factory reset the whole thing and start from scratch.. This decision was actually made for me this morning. I arrived at my work, 40 miles away from home. My mobile rang and it was my daughter telling me that the whole network had crashed and there was no internet at all. Living in the countryside, we rely on the internet for all communications as we rarely get a mobile signal in the village, in fact, my daughter had had to walk a mile or so to get a signal just to call me. So I turn around and head home.

On arrival, yes, the whole network was down. I switched off the three Asus boxes and the modem. Powered the modem back on, DSL connection active.. great.. Plugged my laptop into the router, removed everything else, powered on the router Asus AX92u and zip.. nothing. I took a look at my network connection on the laptop and the router had given me an ip 192.168.50.13 instead on the normal (what my network was set up to do) 192.168.1.13.. Strange, I thought. Next, the set up page pops up on my browser for the router.. it had completely lost all it's settings. It was like starting new. I decided enough was enough, so I removed this router and decided to re-purpose the other AX92u to become the router.. I set all this back up, introduced the Ax58u as the mesh node and re introduced all the clients back to the network.. Everything seemed fine, then about 1 hour in, we started getting dropped wifi clients again. Looking at the logs, there are various clients mac addresses all with the phrase "not mesh client can't update it's ip".

I feel like I'm going around in circles. I do think my first AX92u is faulty.. it's been extremely temperamental for some time.. to add insult to injury, I've just found out its out of warranty by a few days as well..

So, I'm left with deciding.. do I ditch Asus completely and move to something else.. What would that something else be? or, persevere and get a new AX92u or similar to use as a mesh node upstairs....

Apologies for the moan... just really annoyed that Asus have basically screwed my otherwise good setup by releasing the wrong firmware, then hiding the fact that they did and since then, I've had nothing but trouble..

Just a quick update from my side. Apologies, but I'm not as technical minded as some of you, so please be gentle.

I'm (or should I say, was) running 2 x AX92u (one set as router the other aimesh node) and a AX58u as a mesh node.
Since updating to the 41712 firmware, we've experienced lots of weird issues, wifi drop outs, wireless clients not re-connecting once disconnected, wifi speeds dropping drastically on all channels. My mission this weekend was to factory reset the whole thing and start from scratch.. This decision was actually made for me this morning. I arrived at my work, 40 miles away from home. My mobile rang and it was my daughter telling me that the whole network had crashed and there was no internet at all. Living in the countryside, we rely on the internet for all communications as we rarely get a mobile signal in the village, in fact, my daughter had had to walk a mile or so to get a signal just to call me. So I turn around and head home.

On arrival, yes, the whole network was down. I switched off the three Asus boxes and the modem. Powered the modem back on, DSL connection active.. great.. Plugged my laptop into the router, removed everything else, powered on the router Asus AX92u and zip.. nothing. I took a look at my network connection on the laptop and the router had given me an ip 192.168.50.13 instead on the normal (what my network was set up to do) 192.168.1.13.. Strange, I thought. Next, the set up page pops up on my browser for the router.. it had completely lost all it's settings. It was like starting new. I decided enough was enough, so I removed this router and decided to re-purpose the other AX92u to become the router.. I set all this back up, introduced the Ax58u as the mesh node and re introduced all the clients back to the network.. Everything seemed fine, then about 1 hour in, we started getting dropped wifi clients again. Looking at the logs, there are various clients mac addresses all with the phrase "not mesh client can't update it's ip".

I feel like I'm going around in circles. I do think my first AX92u is faulty.. it's been extremely temperamental for some time.. to add insult to injury, I've just found out its out of warranty by a few days as well..

So, I'm left with deciding.. do I ditch Asus completely and move to something else.. What would that something else be? or, persevere and get a new AX92u or similar to use as a mesh node upstairs....

Apologies for the moan... just really annoyed that Asus have basically screwed my otherwise good setup by releasing the wrong firmware, then hiding the fact that they did and since then, I've had nothing but trouble..
Have you checked with ASUS on your warranty? In North America, it should be 2 year warranty on AX92u. They were introduced in mid 2019, so if you're in NA, you may still be under warranty.

I would hold off on buying a new AX92u. The WiFi6e routers are coming out now. If your 92u isn't still under warranty, I'd see if you can position your remaining router and node to cover your house and wait a few months to see what options will be available for WiFi 6e routers.

Also, with your faulty 92u, have you tried -- reset -- flash firmware and then reset again? Sometimes this may resolve issues. There also is a beta firmware on Asus's site for the 92u. If nothing else works, you may want to try it. https://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RT-AX92U/HelpDesk_BIOS/

You need to factory reset both units after performing the upgrade to 41712 or it won't work.

Wifi speeds should be 50 - 100mbps on 2.4ghz and 300 - 500mbps on 5ghz. Auto channel selection has always got me the best throughput and lowest latency, even though the channels it selects don't look right. The system looks at the noise levels which are more important than the number of neighbouring AP's.

Make sure the signal between the 2 nodes is -60db or lower. Higher signals will work but you may notice stability issues. You can check the level using the mobile app.

You need to factory reset both units after performing the upgrade to 41712 or it won't work.

Wifi speeds should be 50 - 100mbps on 2.4ghz and 300 - 500mbps on 5ghz. Auto channel selection has always got me the best throughput and lowest latency, even though the channels it selects don't look right. The system looks at the noise levels which are more important than the number of neighbouring AP's.

Make sure the signal between the 2 nodes is -60db or lower. Higher signals will work but you may notice stability issues. You can check the level using the mobile app.
Yes, sorry, probably didn't make it clear. I factory reset all units before carrying out the initial downgrade, then again to move to the latest firmware. The node I have working is at -55db.

I would recommend Ubiquiti Unifi their AP Wifi6 work great you will need a router doesn't need to be unifi router and one desktop to control all of them . All Unifi AP have mesh options, at the moment their unifi mesh 6 system which consist of a router and 2 AP is in beta stages. My parents home which is 2 story house each floor around 250 square meters I am using 3 Unifi AP LR and it works perfectly seemless transition from both floor and the 3rd AP is in the yard. I honestly tried Asus at home but it seems they still need lots of work on the software side for the mesh on the routers.

I would recommend Ubiquiti Unifi their AP Wifi6 work great you will need a router doesn't need to be unifi router and one desktop to control all of them . All Unifi AP have mesh options, at the moment their unifi mesh 6 system which consist of a router and 2 AP is in beta stages. My parents home which is 2 story house each floor around 250 square meters I am using 3 Unifi AP LR and it works perfectly seemless transition from both floor and the 3rd AP is in the yard. I honestly tried Asus at home but it seems they still need lots of work on the software side for the mesh on the routers.
I have Ubiquiti at work. It's never given a hint of trouble. I think that is a good call. However, they are like rocking horse poo to get hold of. LOL.. Which router would you suggest?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!