What's new

backup dns server, possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dpreilan

Occasional Visitor
It there a way to set a second dns server. My dns server is an internal (lan) server. I had a power outage the other day and everything rebooted (including router) except my server. Everybody was dead because dns server was down.

I would like to set a second dns server on the router.

I would like to set a second dns server on the router.
Hi,

Where did you set the first DNS server?
On the router (under WLAN / WAN DNS Setting) you can set two DNS servers.

I assume that there you have set the first (your internal) server and the secound is free... :rolleyes:
The secound could be your IPs DNS or a public one (e.g. Google DNS).

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

thanks, I was looking at LAN, in dhcp server tab. I assumed this was the data it past to its clients

I didn't look at WAN, but I do see it now. I don't understand why it is there, but I will try it.

Thanks!

thanks, I was looking at LAN, in dhcp server tab. I assumed this was the data it past to its clients

I didn't look at WAN, but I do see it now. I don't understand why it is there, but I will try it.

Thanks!

The IP entered on the LAN page is what gets pushed to your clients.

The two IPs you can enter on the WAN page is what your router will use when the clients connects to the router's DNS proxy (assuming you didn't enter a different IP on the LAN page).

@RMerlin bumping this old thread.

Does the firmware select DNS Server 1 as default before it tries DNS Server 2? Meaning, if DNS Server 1 is offline it will switch to DNS Server 2?
Or is this random?

And also, is there a command to change the DNS Servers from command line?

Does the firmware select DNS Server 1 as default before it tries DNS Server 2? Meaning, if DNS Server 1 is offline it will switch to DNS Server 2?
Check your /etc/dnsmasq.conf file but AFAIK the following option is not set therefore the text in bold will be applicable.

-o, --strict-order
By default, dnsmasq will send queries to any of the upstream servers it knows about and tries to favour servers that are known to be up. Setting this flag forces dnsmasq to try each query with each server strictly in the order they appear in /etc/resolv.conf