What's new

Best format parameters for NTFS in AC68-U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marko Polo

I attached to AC68-U my thumb drive, which have been previously formatted to NTFS by means of Windows, and I get following error while plugging the drive
Jul 2 19:54:24 hotplug[1479]: USB /dev/sda1(ntfs) failed to mount at the first try!
Jul 2 19:54:24 usb: USB /dev/sda1(ntfs) failed to mount At the first try!
Jul 2 19:54:24 kernel: tntfs info (device sda1, pid 1533): ntfs_fill_super(): fail_safe is enabled
Jul 2 19:54:24 kernel: tntfs info (device sda1, pid 1533): load_system_files(): NTFS volume name 'SYSTEM', version 3.1 (cluster_size 4096, PAGE_CACHE_SIZE 4096).
Jul 2 19:54:24 syslog: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/SYSTEM
Jul 2 19:54:24 usb: USB ntfs fs at /dev/sda1 mounted on /tmp/mnt/SYSTEM.
Anyway, after that messages NTFS partition is mounted. I don't know if these errors are really serious but I decided to reformat the drive with the onboard mkntfs util. It has a plenty of parameters, hence is my question: is there any best-practice setup for NTFS formatter for Merlin? cluster_size? PAGE_CACHE_SIZE? any other?
I know that Merlin uses Paragon NTFS driver (or Tuxero?), so it might like some special settings, different from MS NTFS. No?

Nothing unusual in those log entries.

Don't mess with cluster size and such, stick to default parameters. Formatting the disk from a Windows PC will be fine.

Could be timing issues at boot time. Asuswrt's USB support ain't as robust as a real NAS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!