What's new

"Best" open source firmware for Netgear X10

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

John DeLuca

Regular Contributor
Hello I was wondering what is the best open source firmware for me. I would like a firmware that lets me increase the TX strength (energy to antennas) good for VPN and has good QOS/bufferbloat control for gaming. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really liked DDWRT on this router. Kong's latest build is really good. My wireless speeds are better with it. Unfortunately though, it's IPV6 options are limited to DHCP-PD, Native, and 6to4. I need a 6RD option since I don't know how to code it myself into startup commands. I do like the fact that you can set a specific IPV6 MTU though - an option that NETGEAR omitted from just the R9000.

I really liked DDWRT on this router. Kong's latest build is really good. My wireless speeds are better with it. Unfortunately though, it's IPV6 options are limited to DHCP-PD, Native, and 6to4. I need a 6RD option since I don't know how to code it myself into startup commands. I do like the fact that you can set a specific IPV6 MTU though - an option that NETGEAR omitted from just the R9000.

Where do you get the build from? Kongs website or myopenrouter? I'm getting it off of myopenrouter because that version apparently has crypto enhancing. However the build from his site is newer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the DDWRT forums. I think I've been going to Kong's site off a link in his sig. Last build I had was from 5/15. Very good stuff. Hardware acceleration is overrated. Netgears software probably needs it to keep up. DDWRT would be better with it but as it is, it's faster than Netgear and does more because it's just more efficient.

I really liked DDWRT on this router. Kong's latest build is really good.

Has anyone been able to confirm the X10 running DD-WRT gets anywhere close to being able to reach 1Gbps WAN throughput? One of the reasons I've stuck with Shibby's tomato on my gateway R7000 is that it supports CTF to be able to reach close to 1Gbps which I don't think the X1o may be able to accomplish w/o CTF under DD-WRT...

The ddwrt builds on myopenrouter are pretty much just linked from Kong's website so it's the same stuff. I can't really test though since I gave away my R9000 as I like my R7800 more ;), but yeah I think your right there probably isn't any hardware NAT acceleration.

Has anyone been able to confirm the X10 running DD-WRT gets anywhere close to being able to reach 1Gbps WAN throughput? One of the reasons I've stuck with Shibby's tomato on my gateway R7000 is that it supports CTF to be able to reach close to 1Gbps which I don't think the X1o may be able to accomplish w/o CTF under DD-WRT...

My connection is 1000/1000. On speedtest, there is no difference with netgear vs ddwrt in wired download speeds. Consistently getting 0ms ping and 950/950 on both FW. I've noticed better performance on Wireless though. DDWRT gives you the option for N only on the 2.4 band and AC only on the 5 band. This definitely helps.

Yeah I found the ATH10K open source drivers on DDWRT and LEDE to be pretty good sometimes better performing than stock.