What's new

best parental control router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psy

New Around Here
Hi,

I ve been reading the website and the forums for a while. And since people here obviously know their stuff, i wanted to ask what router has the best built in parental control options. I was hoping to find something that allows to control acces per device for certain hours and for certain website. The best example i found was the skydog router. But you had to connect to their website. Which i don't really want. And skydog doesn't exist anymore:)

I don't need a 300$ router but having something that i'll be able to use for a while with a good range would be nice.

Thank you very much.

some routers have control over network such as times, forbidden sites, etc. Ive seen such in ASUS but i've never bothered to take a look. Safe browsing that cant be overcome has to be implemented in firewall and there are such firewalls for sales which are totally not worth it in my opinion since you can configure it yourself. Ive used mikrotik routerboards to play around in website filtering, data rate and you can control when but it is very complicated to do. You can even control skype transfers or functionality using it too or other applications as long as you have the L7 regex for it. L7 firewall is CPU heavy and requires a skilled user.

The premium routers like ASUS do have what you ask but their filtering capability is limited. You can block websites but you cant give it a long list. DNS blocking doesnt work with google chrome.
You can also control how long they spend online too with it.

Last edited:
some routers have control over network such as times, forbidden sites, etc. Ive seen such in ASUS but i've never bothered to take a look. Safe browsing that cant be overcome has to be implemented in firewall and there are such firewalls for sales which are totally not worth it in my opinion since you can configure it yourself. Ive used mikrotik routerboards to play around in website filtering, data rate and you can control when but it is very complicated to do. You can even control skype transfers or functionality using it too or other applications as long as you have the L7 regex for it. L7 firewall is CPU heavy and requires a skilled user.

The premium routers like ASUS do have what you ask but their filtering capability is limited. You can block websites but you cant give it a long list. DNS blocking doesnt work with google chrome.
You can also control how long they spend online too with it.

Using a supported Asus router along with my firmware will also allow you to lock clients to a specific DNS (such as OpenDNS). You can lock specific clients by MAC address, or lock your entire network. Since my implementation effectively redirects port 53 connections to the desired server, it can completely lock your clients onto your chosen server - unless they start using VPN tunnels. But when your kids reach that level of working around your setup, it's usually time to have a sitdown with the kid and explain to them a thing or two...