What's new

RT-AX86U Pro Parental Control Question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

finklea73

New Around Here
Curious if this works or not. What if you put your routers MAC address as a Client Name in the Parental Control section for Web and Apps Filter. Would this block any of the content categories on the router?

Curious if this works or not. What if you put your routers MAC address as a Client Name in the Parental Control section for Web and Apps Filter. Would this block any of the content categories on the router?

I would guess that if it could work this way, ASUS would have simply offered that 'global' option. Also note that the router has more than one MAC address.

If you try it, be prepared to Reset and start over.

More: https://www.asus.com/us/support/faq/1008720/

OE

I want to block my internet from adult content instead of trying to block each individual device. I added my router as a client and so far so good.
There are DNS options in the WAN dns setting that may do this as well.

Screenshot 2024-02-14 143732.png

that bypasses the DNS servers right?

Actually, on stock Asuswrt anything with preset on-device DNS or using DoT, DoH, DoQ, etc. will bypass the WAN DNS servers.

The real question is - does router's own MAC in Parental Control really work? Have you tested it, how it was tested and what was the result?

Actually, on stock Asuswrt anything with preset on-device DNS or using DoT, DoH, DoQ, etc. will bypass the WAN DNS servers.

The real question is - does router's own MAC in Parental Control really work? Have you tested it, how it was tested and what was the result?
No issues with it messing up my router but, it doesnt seem to block anything. bottom line. it doesnt work.

You can do it:
- switch to Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, your router is supported
- use ClearBrowsing DNS servers (or other similar) in WAN settings
- enable DNS Director with Router redirection in LAN settings
- install Diversion and use it for known DoH/VPN/Proxy blocking
- block in Firewall, Services Filter ports 80/UDP, 443/UDP, 853/UDP
- you can use Trend Micro engine Parental Controls on top per device

What you get:
- DNS interception and redirection on port 53 to your WAN DNS servers
- custom DNS servers (unrestricted) to specific devices on your LAN
- common avoidance techniques as popular VPN and Proxies blocked
- custom DNS on device, DoT, DoH, DoQ, iCloud Private Relay blocked
- not guaranteed to catch everything on your LAN*, but perhaps >95%
- you have to deal with what you block, it becomes subject of interest

* - all of the above is out if the devices have access to mobile data or other Wi-Fi networks (friends).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!