What's new

[Beta 384/NG] Asuswrt-merlin 384.4 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RT-AC87U - All systems go! Did an upgrade from 380.69_2 and everything seemed to work fine with previous configuration (custom VPN server good, port forwarding good, Manual DHCP Assignment good, all settings seemed fine and nothing bad for ~30 minutes of operation).

Decided to follow this guidance any how just to be sure:

People upgrading from firmware 380.xx are strongly recommended to do a factory default reset following the upgrade, and to manually reconfigure their router.

Only point that isn't clear is that there are two "Factory default" options in settings, and neither of them are "reset". One is "Restore" and the other is "Initialize". Which of these are we supposed to do? Went with Initialized since it sounded a bit more thorough, but not sure here.

Thanks for putting in the time to support the 87, really appreciate it.

Thanks Merlin , AC3200 flashed without any problem , can't see any issues .

I upgraded form alpha2 to beta1 on my AC5300 and I get these messages in my log files. QOS seems to work though.

Feb 28 08:11:25 kernel: SHN Release Version: 2.0.1 3529123_patch
Feb 28 08:11:25 kernel: UDB Core Version: 0.2.14 r3529123
Feb 28 08:11:25 kernel: Init chrdev /dev/idpfw with major 191
Feb 28 08:11:25 kernel: IDPfw: IDPfw is ready
Feb 28 08:11:25 kernel: sizeof forward pkt param = 192
Feb 28 08:11:27 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3356] qos_ops is not registered!
Feb 28 08:11:27 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!
Feb 28 08:11:30 crond[379]: time disparity of 546191 minutes detected
Feb 28 08:11:33 kernel: ERR[parse_qos_conf:932] Can't set new QoS conf while QoS is started!
Feb 28 08:11:33 kernel: ERR[ioctl_iqos_op_config:3592] parse qos_conf error!!
Feb 28 08:11:33 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_config() fail!
Feb 28 08:11:33 kernel: ERR[qos_start:3344] QoS is already started!
Feb 28 08:11:33 kernel: ioctl_iqos_op_switch(1) fail!
Feb 28 08:11:38 rc_service: udhcpc 603:notify_rc start_firewall
Feb 28 08:11:38 dhcp_client: bound 178.xx.xx.xx via 178.xx.xx.xx during 208543 seconds.
Feb 28 08:11:38 miniupnpd[1007]: shutting down MiniUPnPd
Feb 28 08:11:38 nat: apply nat rules (/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)
Feb 28 08:11:39 miniupnpd[3459]: HTTP listening on port 52827
Feb 28 08:11:39 miniupnpd[3459]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
Feb 28 08:12:03 kernel: br0: received packet on eth2 with own address as source address
Feb 28 08:16:18 kernel: htb: htb qdisc 14: is non-work-conserving?
Feb 28 08:23:06 kernel: br0: received packet on eth2 with own address as source address
upload_2018-2-28_8-40-6.png

Last edited:
Installed 384.4 Beta 1 on my AC88U

Same Astrill Router applet issues. No DNS resolution.

I have been an Astrill Customer for 5 years, but if this doesn't get fixed, I will be looking for alternatives.

on ac86u, with only smb2, both android and linxu destop cann browse the shares, only smb1+2, can. thanks
This is normal, the network browse ability is only supported on SMB1 and was removed from SMB2 and later releases (M$ wants you to use active directory or other complicated solutions). So, with >=SMB2 you need to know the hostname of the machine doing the sharing at least in order to find the share.

Thank You Merlin, excellent work. So far everything seems fast and rock solid.

even AiProtection Two Way Intrusion Prevention System seems to do well its dirty work

s.1519815197.jpg

This is normal, the network browse ability is only supported on SMB1 and was removed from SMB2 and later rele

I use smbclient to check with this errer
smbclient -L //192.168.50.1/ -U admin
smbclient- L //domain/ -U admin
both return error:
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE

Same Astrill Router applet issues. No DNS resolution.

I have been an Astrill Customer for 5 years, but if this doesn't get fixed, I will be looking for alternatives.

Best to contact Astrill support directly. Their method of persistence had to be rewritten for the .382+ so I assume it still has some kinks (at one point they were also waiting for a stable Merlin release to continue developement)

I use smbclient to check with this errer
smbclient -L //192.168.50.1/ -U admin
smbclient- L //domain/ -U admin
both return error:
protocol negotiation failed: NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE
You could try smbclient with the option:
Code:
-m SMB2

RT-AC87U - All systems go! Did an upgrade from 380.69_2 and everything seemed to work fine with previous configuration (custom VPN server good, port forwarding good, Manual DHCP Assignment good, all settings seemed fine and nothing bad for ~30 minutes of operation).

Decided to follow this guidance any how just to be sure:

Only point that isn't clear is that there are two "Factory default" options in settings, and neither of them are "reset". One is "Restore" and the other is "Initialize". Which of these are we supposed to do? Went with Initialized since it sounded a bit more thorough, but not sure here.

Thanks for putting in the time to support the 87, really appreciate it.

Or you can just factory reset the router with the little red button on the back. Hold it in for about 10 sec. or until the led blink.

Odd behavior with Client display on main page. After upgrading to beta 1 the client section shows "0" (zero) clients. If I click the terminal icon in the circle, the right-hand Client Status section displays an empty client list. In MS Edge browser the Client Status list periodically says updating, after which the "Wired" client list appears, but no "Wireless" tab. A few seconds later the wired client list disappears and the clients list blanks out again. This repeats indefinitely. In the Chrome browser, the client status section displays a broken icon indicating it can't connect to 192.168.1.1. I've cleared browser caches but didn't seem to have any effect. RT-AC86U is the device I'm testing on.

You could try smbclient with the option:
Code:
-m SMB2

It works, it list all my share point. but how can I mount then, root/ gerneral user under linux.
mount under windows 10 without any problem.
On my phone, I install different android apps. they all cannot connect
Thanks for your helpful.!

Last edited:
on ac86u, with only smb2, both android and linxu destop cann browse the shares, only smb1+2, can. thanks

That would be a problem with those clients, who might not support SMBv2. I believe that very few (if any) Android application do.

Initialize will also erase jffs data.

Yes, Asus didn't make these options intuitive by their labeling.

I upgraded form alpha2 to beta1 on my AC5300 and I get these messages in my log files. QOS seems to work though.

Known issue that also happens with stock firmware, just ignore them.

Astrill won't fix issues happening with beta releases, because it might be wasted development time as things might change again during development. I'd be patient, and wait until after the final 384.4 release is out to give them a chance to look into it. So far, they've always resolved any compatibility issues introduced by firmware changes.

You might want to contact them as well, since they're the ones who can fix any compatibility issues. I have no information as to how their plugin works or is implemented.

This is normal, the network browse ability is only supported on SMB1 and was removed from SMB2 and later releases (M$ wants you to use active directory or other complicated solutions). So, with >=SMB2 you need to know the hostname of the machine doing the sharing at least in order to find the share.

This is IMHO a major issue with the removal of SMB1 support - the lack of network browsing alternative. Not sure what Microsoft were thinking there... It will cause a lot of customer complains. Once again, someone at Microsoft is disconnected from reality, thinking that everyone runs a DC on their network... Small network users have been relying on the network neighbourhood for 20 years now, and suddenly it just stops working.

Yes, when would we choose one over the other? Well I guess from above comments you would only do the "initialize" if you were intent on clearing JFFS data.

Last edited:
I was having some troubles with 384.3 and AiProtection modules not loading fine on router startup that now are solved with this new version. Very stable, clean boot log and without issues until now. Thank you @RMerlin.

Weird, I was made to understand that the AC3200 would burst into flames immediately upon installation of 384 code.

For real? Snickering...

Thanks RMerlin

Smb2
Solid explorer in android work,
windows 10 work.
Ubuntu can only list the shares, so stay with smb 1 . Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!