What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.61 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off I love your builds and my router...:) I had excellent luck with 59 and skipped all the 60 builds. 61A2 seemed very stable and I just upgraded to 61B1. So far still seems very stable (all on my RT-AC5300.

I do have one comment (that is not new to this build but still needs mentioned in my opinion). If I have QOS off the Traffic Analysis page seems to count both upload and download correctly. If I turn Adaptive QOS on (and I have all other settings such that CTF is also on) then I see the following.

On the Traffic Monitor screen Real Time always shows almost exactly the same number in the Reception and Transmission areas (even when this is not true) and on the Daily Screen the Transmission number will always be just a little higher than the Reception number (Almost to the point where it looks like it is including all the Reception and Transmission data in the Transmission number but I'm not sure that this is true).

Traffic monitoring requires CTF to be disabled to be accurate. Asus inserted a notice about this on the traffic monitor page. Nothing I can do about it.

380.61 Alpha 1-2 = No issues , rock solid 9 days
380.61 Beta = The return of the infamous" Querying Switch" and the client list empty

There has been zero code change between alpha2 and beta 1 related to this. Beta 1 only upgraded Dropbear, and stopped force-enabling b/g protection.

"Querying Switch" usually happens if there's a Javascript error breaking the page. Open your browser console, and see the line where the error occurs, it will give you a hint as to the cause.

Networkmap failing to return a list of client has been known for a while, but I can't reproduce it, and users experiencing it cannot provide sufficient details to track it either, so this will have to be fixed by Asus.

My question is, is there a way to adjust how often the Media Server broadcast?

I don't know. Check the minidlna documentation to see if it's configurable, otherwise, it's hardcoded in minidlna's code. I know some people complained about disappearing DLNA servers with their smart TVs, so it's possible that Asus or the minidlna author resolved this by increasing the frequency of broadcasts (assuming that's what really happens).

I also notice that the TX Power adjustment for Wireless seems to be missing in the 380.61 version. Is this correct?

Asus removed the slider from the webui for routers that have a bootloader set for the US region, for regulation reasons.

Short Story:
380.58 = Rock solid for 3 months before 380.59
380.59 = Clients list not always^populated and querying switch problem intermitant
380.60 beta= Wan Disconnect or Cable unplugged message
380.61 Alpha 1-2 = No issues , rock solid 9 days
380.61 Beta = The return of the infamous" Querying Switch" and the client list empty

Nothing have changed in my devices names since 1 year and there is no QUOTES in the names. o_O

Rick-Laptop
Rick-PC
WDTVLive
Rt-n66U
where are the Quotes in this?
Same router here, no issues whatsoever with the reported error.

Running RT-N66U with the .61 Beta...

Router up and running for 12+ hours... I could not logon to router webpage... Tried different computers, some over wifi, others over wired connection, and none of them got the router logon page to come up. Web browser in perpetual loop waiting for router to respond.

But on all computers connected to the router, I am able to access the internet without any problem.

Had to power cycle the router to get the problem to go away...

Since I was not collecting syslog messages, I do not know the cause of the problem.

After the reboot, I did see these syslog messages, which appear unrelated but I'm not sure why I am receiving them since I have not USB drives connected to router..

Jul 31 20:00:12 syslog: module ledtrig-usbdev not found in modules.dep
Jul 31 20:00:12 syslog: module leds-usb not found in modules.dep

My question is, is there a way to adjust how often the Media Server broadcast?
I took a look at the code, and the notify interval is a hardcoded option at 600 seconds in the conf file and hasn't changed forever.

I think the broadcast can also be sent in response to a query from a client...Have you started using a new DLNA client or did an OS upgrade recently?

RT-AC3200 here. ran Alpha2 for a couple days and now flashed with Beta1.

So far,, so good!

I noticed that in my 2.4Ghz wireless on the RT-AC87U, the "b/g protection" is now enabled and I can't remove the tick (Wireless mode is "N Only"). Is this normal?

Also, I'm having some problems with my DNSSEC recently where I can't connect to my custom domain from my local network, however if I disable DNSSEC I can successfully connect.

I'd like to ensure that it's not related to the firmware. Is there anything I can do to see more DNSSEC logging?

Last edited:
As soon as i software reboot my rt-n18 connected via wire to my rt-n66u running 380.61 Beta (n66 works as a router, n18 works as an AP) - n66 reconnects to internet on its own with this error:
Aug 1 20:36:32 WAN(0) Connection: WAN was exceptionally disconnected.

How can i fix it? I cannot even find the reason why n66 disconnects from WAN every time n18 reboots.

I, too, have upgraded from .61 Alpha 2 to .61 Beta 1 on both my N66R and my AC68U. The upgrade on the N66R was uneventful, but the flash of the AC68U initially failed, leaving the router unable to boot. I am not sure what caused the glitch as I have flashed the router countless times with the RMerlin builds, including alpha, beta, and release versions. I attempted to unsuccessfully to use the Firmware Restoration utility, but I was able to push the .60 Beta 1 firmware to the device using tftp from my terminal session on my MacBook Pro following the steps outlined at https://chrishardie.com/2013/02/asus-router-firmware-windows-mac-linux/:

$ cd firmware_image_directory
$ tftp router_IP
tftp> binary
tftp> put firmware_image.trx
Sent __________ bytes in __._ seconds
tftp> quit
Once the transfer completed the router rebooted, and all settings were retained -- the router has been up and running ever since.

Thanks again for providing such outstanding support to the community.

Same here and you saved my day. Updated a RT-AC88U after 57 days of uptime from 380.59

Installed .61 Beta 1 on my AC68U and enabled QoS with 7 user defined policies and getting the following kernel message
Code:
HTB: quantum of class 10001 is big. Consider r2q change.
HTB: quantum of class 10002 is big. Consider r2q change.
HTB: quantum of class 10060 is big. Consider r2q change.

Looking good so far.

There has been zero code change between alpha2 and beta 1 related to this. Beta 1 only upgraded Dropbear, and stopped force-enabling b/g protection.

"Querying Switch" usually happens if there's a Javascript error breaking the page. Open your browser console, and see the line where the error occurs, it will give you a hint as to the cause.

Networkmap failing to return a list of client has been known for a while, but I can't reproduce it, and users experiencing it cannot provide sufficient details to track it either, so this will have to be fixed by Asus.

I see two JS errors:

1)

Error:
TypeError: clientList[clientlist_sort[j].mac] is undefined
drawClientListBlock()
client_function.js:2415
sorter.doSorter()
client_function.js:1941
sorterClientList()
client_function.js:2082
<anonymous>
client_function.js:2008

Source:
clientListCode += (clientList[clientlist_sort[j].mac].isWebServer) ? "<a class='link' href='http://"+clientlist_sort[j].ip+"' target='_blank'>"+clientlist_sort[j].ip+"</a>" : clientlist_sort[j].ip;​

2)

Error:
TypeError: evt.srcElement is undefined
show_app_table()
state.js:698

Source:
if(evt.srcElement.id == "app_icon" || evt.srcElement.id == "cancel_app"){​

Other clues

One thing may be that I have done editing on LAN - DHCP server page
  1. 35 static DHCP clients, where 6 DHCP clients were added recently ... crossed number 32, an unexpected limit, perhaps?
  2. used client-icon setting to show icon type, f.ex. "IPad", "Windows", etc... This is new for me, so maybe that is involved in the problem.
  3. used client-icon setting to set meaningful names on clients, changed from "new device" to "thomas-iphone" etc.

It surprises me, that one of the most visible differences between ASUS vs. Rmerlin code, is in System Log -> Wireless Log, where ASUS show raw command output, while Rmerlin shows very nice table of clients with detailed radio information.
Question:
I connect to router by SSH. What command produces the information about all clients as was shown by Network Map -> View Clients ?

Upgrading from Alpha to Beta (AC87U) failed. All LEDs were flashing, Wifi connection was OK (I could connect to both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks), but router's admin interface (192.168.1.1) couldn't be loaded. Websites didn't work as well. The issue was solved by rebooting router using a physical button, but when I connected to admin interface again, old firmware version 380.60 beta2 was displayed.

It's the first upgrade that failed so far.

I took a look at the code, and the notify interval is a hardcoded option at 600 seconds in the conf file and hasn't changed forever.

I think the broadcast can also be sent in response to a query from a client...Have you started using a new DLNA client or did an OS upgrade recently?

No new DLNA client or OS upgrade (no new drivers or anything). This is desktop computer running Windows 10 Pro. I just know I can flash the RT-AC87U with Firmware 380.59 and the notify interval happens as you said about every 600 seconds. Flash the router with 380.60 or any of the 380.61 builds and the notify interval happens about every 5 seconds. Nothing changes, just the firmware. I don't even change any of the settings. Maybe something else is causing it, just know I turn off the media server in the router or unplug the usb drive from the router and the "pinging" the router every 5 seconds stops.

Thanks for looking at the code and your input...

I don't know. Check the minidlna documentation to see if it's configurable, otherwise, it's hardcoded in minidlna's code. I know some people complained about disappearing DLNA servers with their smart TVs, so it's possible that Asus or the minidlna author resolved this by increasing the frequency of broadcasts (assuming that's what really happens).

Asus removed the slider from the webui for routers that have a bootloader set for the US region, for regulation reasons.

OK, thanks for your input...

Asuswrt-Merlin 380.61 Beta 1 is now available for all supported models.

The main change versus 380.60 beta was the merge of Asus's GPL 380_3831, which should resolve various issues, and add support for the RT-N66U and RT-AC66U missing in the previous beta.

This version is also compatible with the new firmware format used by Asus since 380_3xxx.

The main change since 380.61 alpha 2 was a fix for the b/g protection checkbox that couldn't be disabled if Wireless mode was set to Auto.

EDIT: Also, dropbear was updated to 2016.74, as this version should finally resolve the SSH port forwarding issue introduced by 2015.68.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Running 380.61 here good so far

The 5G Wifi range issues that snuck in around 380.59 seem to have gone - thank goodness for that.

Not sure whether this was due to changes in the Roaming Assistant. I don't touch that setting and I'm not completely sure what it does.

All good on 88U & 3200.

Everything running good using 380.61b1 on the 68u and 87u. No kernel panics and everything sets up correctly. Rmerlin, thanks for your hard work.

I noticed that in my 2.4Ghz wireless on the RT-AC87U, the "b/g protection" is now enabled and I can't remove the tick (Wireless mode is "N Only"). Is this normal?

Yes. If your wifi is set to N-only, then there's no b/g clients to handle, therefore the checkbox is disabled - that setting doesn't do anything.

Upgrading from Alpha to Beta (AC87U) failed. All LEDs were flashing, Wifi connection was OK (I could connect to both 2.4 and 5 GHz networks), but router's admin interface (192.168.1.1) couldn't be loaded. Websites didn't work as well. The issue was solved by rebooting router using a physical button, but when I connected to admin interface again, old firmware version 380.60 beta2 was displayed.

Rebooting before flashing is recommended, especially if the router has any USB disk plugged, or hasn't been rebooted in a long time. Try again flashing after doing so.

Installed .61 Beta 1 on my AC68U and enabled QoS with 7 user defined policies and getting the following kernel message

Those have been in Asuswrt since day one, and can be safely ignored.

I'd like to ensure that it's not related to the firmware. Is there anything I can do to see more DNSSEC logging?

Enable dnsmasq logging using a /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file:

Code:
log-queries
log-facility=/tmp/dnsmasq.log

Then:

Code:
service restart_dnsmasq
tail /tmp/dnsmasq.log -f

Try issuing a query.

Don't forget to remove the conf.add file once done testing and restarting dnsmasq, otherwise you will quickly fill up your RAM with that logfile.

I see two JS errors:

My guess is, the client list is empty, generating those errors (unless for some reason you have a device without a MAC address associated to it - I don't know how that could happen, but technically it might be possible).

Unless I can find a way to reproduce it here, we will have to wait for Asus to fix this one (as it also happens with their firmware).

It surprises me, that one of the most visible differences between ASUS vs. Rmerlin code, is in System Log -> Wireless Log, where ASUS show raw command output, while Rmerlin shows very nice table of clients with detailed radio information.

I re-implemented all the System Log pages (except for Syslog itself) a year or two ago, as I found the old layout to be impossible to use whenever you had a larger number of clients.

I connect to router by SSH. What command produces the information about all clients as was shown by Network Map -> View Clients ?

The info isn't obtained by running a command, it's stored in a memory block shared between httpd and networkmap, and gets inserted in an array format into the html code as it gets parsed by the httpd server, before pushing it to the client. You can't obtain that list from the shell. That's what makes it hard to debug by an end-user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!