What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.64 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks who have been complaining about USB mounting issues after a reboot specifically since 380.63_2, any feedback regarding this build?

The 380.64 beta period will most likely be quite short, as there isn't many changes, and so far only one new issue has been reported (and fixed). I'll need some feedback on this in the next few days, or this will end up as it is in the final release.

I don't know what it is, but from the Alpha version to the Beta, my AC68 as repeater stopped repeating properly.
I'm back using the Alpha and all devices (iPhone, iPad etc) connect to the repeater and work, but with the latest Beta, they have trouble connecting and then holding a connection.

Anyone have any ideas?

I suspect there might be something wrong with Asuswrt's maintannce on the Traffic Analyzer database. I once noted that my database had grown over 30 MB in size.

I'd recommend deleting the database and starting anew.

1) Disable Traffic Analyzer
2) Log in over SSH, and "rm /jffs/traffic.db"
3) Re-enable Traffic Analyzer

Everything related to Traffic Analyzer is closed source and outside of my control.
Thanks, I've deleted traffic.db although mine was only 3.6Mb in size I thought a fresh start may be in order.

I forgot to mention that after around 20 mins of non-responsive GUI the router had crashed and needed a power cycle.

Today I compare 380.64_beta1 with last source code added to "master" branch in Git repository and I noticed the following change in make file (target.mak):
OLD: APP="installed"
NEW: APP="nolocaldm"

With this option change the generated file is about 32Mb (much smaller than original one of 43MB).
What does this option stands for? What is the new meaning?

Today I compare 380.64_beta1 with last source code added to "master" branch in Git repository and I noticed the following change in make file (target.mak):
OLD: APP="installed"
NEW: APP="nolocaldm"

With this option change the generated file is about 32Mb (much smaller than original one of 43MB).
What does this option stands for? What is the new meaning?
It stops packaging a copy of Download Master with the code (which is out of date anyway). If you want to install it, you can download the latest version from the gui.

Router: RT-AC68U

3 days, 6 hours and counting since installing 380.64_beta1-geced399 and no issues encountered thus far.

Caveats:
I don't ask much from my router...

> dhcp (manual machine IP assignments are done via '/jffs/config/dnsmasq.conf.add' and not through the webgui)
> also a bit of custom 'hosts' and 'profile' stuff: '/jffs/configs/hosts.add' and '/jffs/configs/profile.add'
> 15 or so port forwards to other machines that do the heavy lifting on my LAN (fileserving, streaming, openvpn, pptp, etc.)

No QoS, no 'Traffic Analyzer - Statistic' stuff, no parental controls or other filtering.

I do have an ancient 2 GB thumb drive plugged into the USB 2 port for doing backups using john9527's 'User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility'. And I use a custom path directed to the USB thumb drive for 'Traffic history'.

My router has not experienced any of the CPU usage or Mem issues that others have mentioned.

After connecting via Firefox multiple times over the last few day I do believe webgui response has in fact much improved.

For me this beta has been good to go.

I'm currently considering pushing out a second beta, merging the security fixes found in today's new GPL. I need to evaluate how risky those changes are before deciding.

I don't know what it is, but from the Alpha version to the Beta, my AC68 as repeater stopped repeating properly.
I'm back using the Alpha and all devices (iPhone, iPad etc) connect to the repeater and work, but with the latest Beta, they have trouble connecting and then holding a connection.

Anyone have any ideas?

There's been zero changes to the wireless code. The only changes were to the httpd daemon, and one USB-related change in the router reboot code.

Still having my ac66u rebooting multiple times a day. Been going on for the last few updates.

Logs dont show any errors.

I've upgrade to the beta on an 88u. The GUI is noticeably faster. This is especially evident when I pull up a list of connected clients. That used to take a significant amount of time. Now it is very fast.

I have noticed that chrome now says it is not a secure link when I sign on to the GUI. I get an i with a circle instead of a padlock. Does that mean it is really insecure, or that it needs a new certificate? Is this anything that will be fixed in future software builds?

I'm having an issue with the GUI on a 68U, using safari on mac 10.12.(0/1/2):
- goto tools, goto other settings, all is still ok
- go back to the network map page, shows, but internet status stays on 'check connection and the system status graph part stays blank. Browser session hangs and takes full cpu.

When I use Chrome, it all works fine luckily, but I often have to refresh the page to get it to load.
Also, on my AC3200 I don't have this problem.

AC68U is plain and default configed as a router, no special scripts or settings. Qos/traffic/etc=off. Already did a factory reset, which fixed the problem of the reboot schedule not working.

Also, unable to check the beta firmware box on the firmware upgrade page

As for it working as a router, no issues with reboots or wireless not working etc, it's doing a great job :)

I've upgrade to the beta on an 88u. The GUI is noticeably faster. This is especially evident when I pull up a list of connected clients. That used to take a significant amount of time. Now it is very fast.

I have noticed that chrome now says it is not a secure link when I sign on to the GUI. I get an i with a circle instead of a padlock. Does that mean it is really insecure, or that it needs a new certificate? Is this anything that will be fixed in future software builds?
Are you using HTTPS(you probably have to enter sth like x.x.x.x:8443 or router.asus.com:8443, number can be different)? If so, follow the second post on this link.

However, I think what you are getting is Google's attempt to make website owners change from their websites from using insecure HTTP to HTTPS(sorry, can't find blog for you). Normally your router WebUI uses HTTP by default, which make google chrome reports that it as insecure. HTTP is insecure as it sends packets without encryption which means your information(router's password and settings) could be monitored by someone else in LOCAL NETWORK(if you disable Web Access form WAN). I'm not sure how it can be done, but it is possible that if one of your devices in local network is infected, it can be used to gather your information that you send to your router. However, you don't think you will ever have an infected device and you have Web Access from WAN turned off, HTTP should be quite safe.

HTTPS, on the other hand, is more secure version of HTTP. It can be set by going to Administration -> Authentication Method -> Both or HTTPS -> apply -> access your router with the same link as before but with ":8443" at the back. Yet, this will cause Google Chrome to report even more as insecure. This is because the key(TLS) used to encrypt data is self-signed(instead of being signed by trusted company); however, it is way safer than HTTP. Then you have to follow this link same as above link. This will stop Google Chrome reporting that it is unsafe.

I don't know that much about security, but HTTPS is way safer than HTTP, but HTTP is safe enough for many cases. I personally use HTTPS to be sure. And the reason Google Chrome is doing this is mostly likely related to some websites that ask for personal information(such as credit info), but use insecure HTTP protocol which can be easily spied through internet.

This was introduced with the latest Chrome release. Google is now going into paranoid mode, where anything that isn't a recognized CA is labeled as "insecure". Your connection is still fully encrypted, it's just that the certificate is a self-signed one rather than one issued by a known authority.

I'm having an issue with the GUI on a 68U, using safari on mac 10.12.(0/1/2):

Safari has become a PITA in terms of compatibility. Since this is now a Mac-only browser, testing against it is pretty much impossible short of spending a thousand dollars on a Mac.

Use a more standard-compliant browser instead.

Safari has become a PITA in terms of compatibility. Since this is now a Mac-only browser, testing against it is pretty much impossible short of spending a thousand dollars on a Mac.

Use a more standard-compliant browser instead.

Allright, will do.
Then the other issue mentioned is within chrome, I often have to manually refresh after clicking a menu item which opens a new management page, so not within a page. I just get a blank page with the progress icon circling. Click the stop/refresh button, page gets loaded.
No biggie, but annoying. Or is this also related to overpriced macs ;-)

Allright, will do.
Then the other issue mentioned is within chrome, I often have to manually refresh after clicking a menu item which opens a new management page, so not within a page. I just get a blank page with the progress icon circling. Click the stop/refresh button, page gets loaded.
No biggie, but annoying. Or is this also related to overpriced macs ;-)

No issue here, and I do all my development under Chrome. Check your installed add-ons for any potential conflict.

I'ld like to start off by saying, RMerlin, God Bless and much RESPECT to you for continuously giving us the latest & greatest. I believe we are from the same home town of Montreal...... Buddy I'ld love to buy you a lunch!
Installed latest beta on RT-AC3100 and all is good, no stability issues, drops etc.
Folks I've had the RT-N66, RT-AC68, RT-AC87U (AC2400), RT-AC3200 and have always been running RMerlins firmware with no problems as opposed to the Asus stock firmware. I've tried quite a few as well while always coming back to RMerlin's! Do yourselves a favor and follow his threads.

Once again thanks for your great work and hit me up for the LUNCH!

This was introduced with the latest Chrome release. Google is now going into paranoid mode, where anything that isn't a recognized CA is labeled as "insecure". Your connection is still fully encrypted, it's just that the certificate is a self-signed one rather than one issued by a known authority.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!