What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 Beta is available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ordered a RT-AC86U for delivery tomorrow and reading through the notes regarding the OpenVPN implementation and changes from the way that Asus have implemented it would it be better for me to just flash this beta 4 firmware and enjoy the benefits of the Merlin build rather than start with the default Asus firmware...?

I would be using the router for with a VPN client access to AirVPN.

EDIT: Don't wish to seem disrespectful but is this beta version for the noted router "complete" and considered stable enough to use ...?

Thanks

As well as the above would I just flash beta 4 and then need to do a reset before using it for the initial setup.?
Thanks

Those temps are about average. Many of us use laptop coolers or fans stuck to back of the router depending on the model. This is a fix that gives great results for very cheap. In my case a 12$ usb powered laptop cooler. My temp sits at about 51 degrees.

Awesome skeal, that you for the tip... very much appreciated....:D

As well as the above would I just flash beta 4 and then need to do a reset before using it for the initial setup.?
Thanks
Yes flash the beta and reset to factory defaults.

Edit 17-Oct-2017: Added RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 builds.
Edit 24-Oct-2017: Uploaded 382.1 Beta 2. Changelog:
Code:
2e8b7ce Updated documentation
c21d7dd rc: Do not prepend 3.0.0.4 to FW version (console boot log, and minidlna config file)
f8702e9 webui: DNSFilter - fix the "Add" button image, better identify the Client field as a MAC
ec8fdf5 webui: fix OUI lookups
9744754 webui: update OUI database
80787fe webui: fixed Ethernet table layout on Sysinfo page
a21c78d e2fs: add back tune2fs (to match AM380)
2bee3b5 Converted changelog-382.txt to Windows format (it's time for Microsoft to add UNIX EOL support to Notepad me thinks - everything else does already)
58e3058 webui: add missing "Custom" DDNS type
7c6e9c0 dnsfilter: split rules across multiple nvram on HND due to 255 chars limit
053ff57 shared: fix nvram_split_get() and enable it
8be8bf7 httpd: remove unused variable
d4db370 dnsfilter: free duplicated string after building iptables rules
3bfea15 openvpn: fix a few cases where we requested the incorrect certificate types at config time.
4d69911 nvram: implemented workarounds and safeguards for HND limiting non-Asus nvram additions to 255 chars max
419fb9c Bump revision to beta 2
e6fadd7 dhd,networkmap: add missing dhd and arpstorm exe recovered from firmware releases
9296183 webui: add missing model-specific files for RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100
62913a4 sdk7114: merge working binary blob for RT-AC88U

Edit 2-Nov-2017: Uploaded 382.1 Beta 3. Changelog:
Code:
4fe0847 Updated documentation
fe83c7e libvorbis: checkout files from AM380, as the AM382 files would often fail to configure/compile on ARM
2ac3f39c httpd: Retrieve max CPU clock on HND from bcm_cpuidle rather than kernel cpufreq (which was removed with last SDK update)
762d92c webui: Convert HND CPU temperature from float to integer values
71f5b52 HND: merge latest SDK files from GPL 382_18219, which should in theory include the KRACK fixes for that platform
54a132d iptables: updated to 1.4.15 (fixes iptables-restore on HND)
43bcb9e wget: add files filtered out by gitignore
6ba6cda wget: update to 1.19.2, fixing connectivity to some servers
b19a332 webui: remove username/password validation from code used for CUSTOM DDNS
798dd0f opnssl: re-add make depend from AM380
8416601 openssl: update to 1.0.2l (1.0.2j from GPL was initially merged in for 382)
2654afb minidlna: remove USE_DAEMON option from config files, as it would sometimes get re-enabled (and it doesn't work)
35a05e9 kernel41: enable XT_SET kernel module
6b56d48 Bumped revision to beta 3

Edit 9-Nov-2017: Uploaded beta 4. Changes:

Code:
98e3abf build: rename deploy script to publish; fix documentation location; start/stop ssh agent
2cf5a2c rc: disable update checks if merlinupdate isn't enabled
d8be69c libvpn: make _set_crt_parsed() skip cert text and start at the PEM
5408770 libvpn: removed legacy nvram support, as we only support JFFS storage from now on
f9a9996 libvpn: rewrite get_parsed_crt() to only work at the file level, resolving buffer truncate issue as well; made set_ovpn_key() create folder if needed, and changed way it raeds the data
11f376b shared: set max length of vpn_client_addr to 128 chars, as it can be a hostname, not just an IP
4212c90 httpd: write back the new cert instead of the one already in nvram/jffs
de7f7b5 build: added confirmation request to deploy script; also upload documentation
7497066 build: add new deploy script used for Sourceforge and Onedrive
9a80631 qos: remove duplicate include (no code change) (closes #47)
58670ea usb: disable USB3 interference reduction by default
eeac558 openvpn: when WAN comes up, start ovpn clients after iQoS/FW have been started
d8086bb Bump revision to beta 4

Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 Beta is now available for the RT-AC86U, RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 only. No other models are supported for now as Asus hasn't migrated them to the 382 code base yet.

Asuswrt-Merlin 382.xx was started from a clean GPL release, with the Asuswrt-Merlin changes re-applied on top of it. This was made necessary due to the large amount of changes between 380 and 382. Because of this, both branches will for the time being be developed in parallel, as models will gradually be ported over from the 380 code to the newer 382 code (as Asus progressively migrates them to this new code base).

Due to this, some old issues might be resolved, while new ones might also have been introduced.

The summary of changes between 380.68_4 and 382.1:

• Code re-implemented starting from a pristine 3.0.0.4.382_15098 GPL release
  • Merged with GPL 3.0.0.4.380_16466
  • Implemented support for the RT-AC86U. All previous Asuswrt-Merlin features are supported, except for IPTraffic, which is not compatible with the newer Linux kernel used by this model.
  • Reworked OpenVPN implementation. Starting with 382_xxxx, Asus has made their OpenVPN implementation closed-source. Because of this, it was decided to stick to our (more advanced) existing implementation, and to fork away OpenVPN development from Asus's own. A lot of changes were made to the existing code as it no longer needed to remain in sync with Asus (and also to better interface with the new API Asus used with their new OpenVPN implementation). Because of this, it's also recommended to do a factory default reset when going back to Asus's stock firmware (or, be prepared to having to reconfigure your OpenVPN settings).
  • Added Full Cone NAT support to the RT-AC86U.
  • Added WiFi Radar to the RT-AC86U. This is Broadcom's own visualization engine, which can help troubleshoot wireless issues (for advanced users only). Make sure you read the full Changelog for more informations.
  • SSH keys are now stored in /jffs/ssl/ rather than in nvram (in part to deal with a change in 382's nvram management that has problems with long nvram values).
  • Updated OpenVPN to 2.4.4.
    [*]Various webui enhancements to the OpenVPN, Operational Mode and SNMP pages.
  • Changes to the new firmware check process (new manifest format, and also the Beta channel will now also check for any newer version from the Release channel)

Make sure you read the complete Changelog for more information.

Things that need to be tested:
  • Pretty much everything on the RT-AC86U, as it's a new model
  • OpenVPN in particular, as a lot of code was changed there

Please keep discussions in this thread to this specific release.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

i am new to this community and to routers i live in Eu Romania, my isp is 10/100 mbps Akta ( i will change it next week to 100/1000) , i don’t complain about speed tbh, but i almost died a day ago with my dlink 842 router when the plugin charge almost exploded.So i bought a new one, Asus Ac3200 after reading all posts i think this suits me the best . 350square feet house with wide open area , 8 devices at top . But today i’ve complained to my isp about speed and suddenly after like 2 minutes the wan turned red and internet was faster but laggier. i did not updated with custom fw, just with asus fw which downloaded by the router. i reseted it, now it’s white again but it’s useless, laggier and lowbbandwith , either my isp is bad or the router. 2.4 mbps when i had on my dir842 like 80.. can you guys tell me what to do from here now ? this was my last log before resetting

Attachments

• C98D74F9-2AB4-4CD0-9188-53244A392065.jpeg
    C98D74F9-2AB4-4CD0-9188-53244A392065.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 697
On beta 4...

I have another question. I have my hard drive hooked up to the USB and have enabled the Samba share.

I can create folders from my computer just fine when I have Allow guest login turned on. However, when I turn that setting off to where I need to enter a password to get into my folder, I get an error when I try to create a folder. But when I back out of the folder and return, the new folder is there. Bug? I am always creating folders and deleting. But is my only option to have Allow guess login turned on?

It was just a build snapshot I pushed to Onedrive last night, from this post.

Done a number of reboot these past two nights while testing things, no issue rebooting. Make sure it's not a plugged USB disk causing any issue. See if the system log contains any info.

Hi, yes I do have a HDD attached to my USB 2.0 port. Perhaps that is causing the reboot from the GUI to turn off the router? How can I help you all determine if the HDD is causing the problem?

ZAX301, Welcome, have a friend that moved here from Romania. You're on the Asuswrt-Merlin forum, not the stock Asus firmware section. It's always best to ask your stock Asus FW question there , but I'll try to answer this time. That's good speed you have, 1 Gb down to 100 Mb up, with good service response time from your ISP. Its doubtful your ISP harmed your router when they adjusted your bandwidth; possible, but not very likely. We've had our RT-AC3200 for a year, have used Merlins' firmware exclusively for years and have never had the router harmed by an ISP. If you have only 350 square feet to cover, you could probably probably turn the power down on your radios to avoid making your neighbors jealous, and to prevent leeching or hacking of your WiFi. I personally recommend RMerlins' v380.68_4 instead of the stock Asus firmware you have on your router now, it depends on what features you need. Merlins firware is rock solid, as secure as it can be, with a better, feature-rich environment to work with.

The photo you posted was a bit too fuzzy to see detail and since this isn't exactly the correct forum, I encourage you to read both the Asus forum, Merlins' FAQ and wiki, then all Merlin threads relating to the AC3200; its huge and will take a while. If you think your router is defective, you should be able to return it quickly for a new replacement. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to Merlins' fork of Asuswrt instead of stock Asus firmware. You do have a learning curve ahead of you, but when you're using Merlins FW, you'll be able to ask for help on the Merlin forum. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Had a question about the CPU Temperature on the AC-RT86U router?

Have installed the latest beta bios 382.1 beta 4. Everything seems to be working great. I was just curios about the temp. if this is ok...
For the 2.4Ghz - 55C -- 5 Ghz -- 55C and the CPU -- 83C to 84C.
Ambient Temp is 68 - 70 degrees.
Help on the would greatly be appreciated.

Based on the threshold values configured by Broadcom, the CPU is fine up to 95C, after which it reaches the first "trip" level (no idea what it does on fanless-routers, might be throttling).

i am new to this community and to routers i live in Eu Romania, my isp is 10/100 mbps Akta ( i will change it next week to 100/1000) , i don’t complain about speed tbh, but i almost died a day ago with my dlink 842 router when the plugin charge almost exploded.So i bought a new one, Asus Ac3200 after reading all posts i think this suits me the best . 350square feet house with wide open area , 8 devices at top . But today i’ve complained to my isp about speed and suddenly after like 2 minutes the wan turned red and internet was faster but laggier. i did not updated with custom fw, just with asus fw which downloaded by the router. i reseted it, now it’s white again but it’s useless, laggier and lowbbandwith , either my isp is bad or the router. 2.4 mbps when i had on my dir842 like 80.. can you guys tell me what to do from here now ? this was my last log before resetting

Off-topic, there isn't even a beta 382 release for your router model.

should the router still be reaching out to "fwupdate.lostrealm.ca" even though I have check for firmware updates disabled?

I double checked the code, and there's no way the automated check might be bypassing that setting - the nvram value is checked at the very beginning of the firmware check function. You had to have manually clicked on "Check" for the connection to occur.

I guess Ai-protection should be started after firewall scripts.

If AiProtection fails to restart the firewall when it gets stopped then this is something Asus will have to address - that code is closed source.

If I enable wan+lan ssh access on my 86u and reboot, or toggle wan connection, I lose internet access on my network, both wireless & wired.

Works for me, in fact my development RT-AC86U has WAN+LAN enabled at all time since it sits within my LAN, so I have to access it through its WAN interface.

Possible bug: System log -- DHCP leases shows nothing, even after a refresh, and I have DHCP enabled and serving IP's.

Works for me. Keep in mind that clients will have to request a lease for it to show up - existing leases that were already active before a reboot will not appear until their renewal, as the router has no idea they even exist.

I've noticed big speed inconsistency with SMB file transfers, not sure if it's a bug or normal.

One transfer could max out at 106MB/s and the next won't get over 17MB/s, then maybe you try a third and get top speed again.

This is with AI Protection, QOS and mostly all bells and whistles turned off btw

Just out of curiosity what should a local FTP transfer max out at?

One thing you could try is disabling SMB 2.0 and rebooting your client devices.

Based on the threshold values configured by Broadcom, the CPU is fine up to 95C, after which it reaches the first "trip" level (no idea what it does on fanless-routers, might be throttling).

Thank You RMerlin, for the information...

Appreciate it... I just wanted to make sure that it was not out of the specification area. I did order a USB Fan to hopefully cool it a little more... just to be on the safe side...:) Just Reminder safety third....small joke:D

ZAX301, Welcome, have a friend that moved here from Romania. You're on the Asuswrt-Merlin forum, not the stock Asus firmware section. It's always best to ask your stock Asus FW question there , but I'll try to answer this time. That's good speed you have, 1 Gb down to 100 Mb up, with good service response time from your ISP. Its doubtful your ISP harmed your router when they adjusted your bandwidth; possible, but not very likely. We've had our RT-AC3200 for a year, have used Merlins' firmware exclusively for years and have never had the router harmed by an ISP. If you have only 350 square feet to cover, you could probably probably turn the power down on your radios to avoid making your neighbors jealous, and to prevent leeching or hacking of your WiFi. I personally recommend RMerlins' v380.68_4 instead of the stock Asus firmware you have on your router now, it depends on what features you need. Merlins firware is rock solid, as secure as it can be, with a better, feature-rich environment to work with.

The photo you posted was a bit too fuzzy to see detail and since this isn't exactly the correct forum, I encourage you to read both the Asus forum, Merlins' FAQ and wiki, then all Merlin threads relating to the AC3200; its huge and will take a while. If you think your router is defective, you should be able to return it quickly for a new replacement. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate to upgrade to Merlins' fork of Asuswrt instead of stock Asus firmware. You do have a learning curve ahead of you, but when you're using Merlins FW, you'll be able to ask for help on the Merlin forum. Hope this helps, and good luck.
thanks for the advice , atm i’m reading how to safely install Merlin fw. Thanks alot!!!!

Asuswrt-Merlin 382.1 has now been released. This thread will now be closed. Thanks everyone for the feedback and bug reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!