What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.11 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK - I know it might be minor but what I am seeing on my 86U is an creeping, increasing memory consumption - after reboot mem utilization is at 52% - after an uptime of 3 days and 18 hours I am at 60% mem utilization. Nothing in the logs, no config changes etc. - no Qos AIProtect or whatever enabled - just acting as an AP.
On previous versions up to 384.10 I have been hovering constant between 54-55% after months of uptime - any clue what is going on or what is driving this??

Last edited:
OK - I know it might be minor but what I am seeing on my 86U is an creeping, increasing memopry consumption - after reboot mem utilization is at 52% - after an uptime of 3 days and 18 hours I am at 60% mem utilization. Nothing in the logs, no config changes etc. - no Qos AIProtect or whatever enabled - just acting as an AP.
On previous versions up to 384.10 I have been hovering constant between 54-55% after months of uptime - any clue what is going on or what is driving this??

I've got some sad news for you... Linux ate your ram :(

I've got some sad news for you... Linux ate your ram :(

That's not bad news at all but a helpful explanation for the less Linux-savvy folks like me :) So thank you for that. Nevertheless I assume the OS behind 384.10 and earlier was Linux too - and as I did not experience this behaviour earlier there is still the question as to why it is happening now. Or was this unfortunate co-incidence? ;-)

OK - I know it might be minor but what I am seeing on my 86U is an creeping, increasing memory consumption - after reboot mem utilization is at 52% - after an uptime of 3 days and 18 hours I am at 60% mem utilization. Nothing in the logs, no config changes etc. - no Qos AIProtect or whatever enabled - just acting as an AP.

60% is fine and low compared to mine. I am running 384.11 beta 2 and the lowest I have seen (without scripts) is 65%-69% after a reboot. With scripts (amtm, skynet,diversion,entware...) I reach +90% and everything works fine .

@RMerlin @themiron Stubby integrated with Dnsmasq, listening on port 53, without forwarding. Excellent job. Congratulations

60% is fine and low compared to mine. I am running 384.11 beta 2 and the lowest I have seen (without scripts) is 65%-69% after a reboot. With scripts (amtm, skynet,diversion,entware...) I reach +90% and everything works fine .
Basically, all scanning services (minidlna, transmission torrent, USB, adblock etc) consume memory. My RAM is at 40% after using only an SSD (with entware and NAS) on USB 3.0, Ext4 without journaling.

You have to consider how much of that ram is just being held vs actually being used. Linux will reserve ram for later.

That's not bad news at all but a helpful explanation for the less Linux-savvy folks like me :) So thank you for that. Nevertheless I assume the OS behind 384.10 and earlier was Linux too - and as I did not experience this behaviour earlier there is still the question as to why it is happening now. Or was this unfortunate co-incidence? ;-)
Is the AC86U new, or had you used it on previous releases?

If you had an older router before, it used an earlier version of the Linux kernel, and as far as I know, ASUS does not update the kernel versions as they update the router software. So even if you were on 384.10 on say an AC3200, you have a significantly older kernel. The reason this is important is because the kernel seems to have become much less aggressive at marking memory "free" in later kernels. On the whole, I think you can expect less "free" memory on the AC86U than on older routers.

I can't remember ever seeing less than 90% "used" memory on my AC86U. Typically I run in the 96% ot 98% "used" memory on my AC86U and I accordingly use a swap file. With modern memory management techniques, the idea of binary definitions of "free" and "used' memory is increasingly not accurate. To mangle Orwell, "some memory is more free than others."

since the third alpha i always get this message after a reboot
crond[1117]: time disparity of 530476 minutes detected
on my AX88U, currently on the latest beta 384.11 Beta 2.
started to happen after i uninstalled dnscrypt and went for DoT over the web GUI

since the third alpha i always get this message after a reboot
crond[1117]: time disparity of 530476 minutes detected
on my AX88U, currently on the latest beta 384.11 Beta 2.
started to happen after i uninstalled dnscrypt and went for DoT over the web GUI
Disregard that message. It is telling you the difference between default time (no ntp update yet) and the updated time (after ntp update).

guess so. strange thing is, with dnscrypt and setting the timezone inside it there was no such message

guess so. strange thing is, with dnscrypt and setting the timezone inside it there was no such message
Seriously don't sweat it. Welcome to the forum my friend! :D

That message has always been there since day one. It's because the router has no battery-backed up clock, so the clock needs to be set every reboot. That message indicates that crond was notified of the clock change, and is simply logging it.

That message has always been there since day one. It's because the router has no battery-backed up clock, so the clock needs to be set every reboot. That message indicates that crond was notified of the clock change, and is simply logging it.
not sure what dnscrypt did with setting the timezone. didn't have that while it was installed.
but i can ignore it, just thought i'd mention it in case it was escaping some people :)

Also seeing 5GHz not coming online after reboot on my A86U - problem seems to be intermittent. If I reboot via GUI 5GhZ does not come back on a regular basis. Can bring 5G band only back by switching off and pulling power for 30 secs ... will monitor

not sure what dnscrypt did with setting the timezone. didn't have that while it was installed.
but i can ignore it, just thought i'd mention it in case it was escaping some people :)
Dnscrypt used a method to cause time to just sync faster, bc it relies heavily on accurate time syncs with the internet on your router.

Did
I've done per what you suggested turn on custom scripts under administration page and turn on ssh enabled native ipv6 connected to putty inputting script supplied temp/home/root# is displayed then rebooted router but no such luck
Did you make the script executable?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!