What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.16 beta (and 384.13_5) are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
<sigh> Do people still not understand the difference between Mb and MB? Yet they’re debating WPA2 vs 3? Smh.
I personally understand the difference between bits and Bytes, but I was thrown to see a network throughput measurement in Bytes per second since most of us relate to our ISP connection in Mbps. So I jumped the gun and posted the question thinking it might be a typo (even though I should know RMerlin's attention to detail by now). After Merlin replied I realized that Traffic Analyzer is also in Bytes per second, so I proudly accept the prize of "Putz of the Day". :oops:

I personally understand the difference between bits and Bytes, but I was thrown to see a network throughput measurement in Bytes per second since most of us relate to our ISP connection in Mbps. So I jumped the gun and posted the question thinking it might be a typo (even though I should know RMerlin's attention to detail by now). After Merlin replied I realized that Traffic Analyzer is also in Bytes per second, so I proudly accept the prize of "Putz of the Day". :oops:

I wasn’t singling you out, it was more a general comment about the breadth of “issues,” and how some really aren’t. Give that trophy back, in other words. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Samsumg Galaxy S10 supports WPA3

I just installed 384.16_beta1 on my RT-AX56U, I'm trying to understand how I should setup the QoS.
I have a 100/45mbps FTTH conenction (I didn't change the WAN packet overhead, which is set to 0), I tried to manually set bandwith to 75/35 (and even a more conservative 50/20) but the bufferbloat seems higher compared to the standard SFQ according to dslreport.
I tried both Adaptive QoS and Traditional QoS but I didn't notice any actual difference in bufferbloat, I'm confused.
Everything else seems to work fine.

@uwish

On some firmware upgrades over the years I find it necessary to have my iOS devices "Forget This Network" in the wireless settings and then recreate the Wi-Fi connection. Not sure it will work but its an easy first step to try.
Good idea,

I can give that a try..

I just installed 384.16_beta1 on my RT-AX56U, I'm trying to understand how I should setup the QoS.
I have a 100/45mbps FTTH conenction (I didn't change the WAN packet overhead, which is set to 0), I tried to manually set bandwith to 75/35 (and even a more conservative 50/20) but the bufferbloat seems higher compared to the standard SFQ according to dslreport.
I tried both Adaptive QoS and Traditional QoS but I didn't notice any actual difference in bufferbloat, I'm confused.
Everything else seems to work fine.

You're being much too aggressive with your settings. :)

Use a wired computer with 1Gbps LAN to adjust your settings. Using a wireless device is an exercise in futility when trying to set up QoS.

Start at the settings you're paying your ISP. In your case, 100 down and 45 up (make sure you are not switching these values in the GUI).

Decrease the download speed by 5Mbps at a time, making sure to test and simply browse the 'net for at least a few minutes in between before taking good notes and changing the download speeds once again by 5Mbps. You will quickly see where the best values are by referencing your notes. Now, do the same for upload speeds. Finally, you may want to fine-tune these values by getting to the optimum/closest 1Mbps values for your connection. Don't forget, it will be optimum for 'now', whenever that 'now' is that you do this process.

This is something that you may want to revisit/check every few weeks. Yes, things change. ;)

HTH.

You're being much too aggressive with your settings. :)

Use a wired computer with 1Gbps LAN to adjust your settings. Using a wireless device is an exercise in futility when trying to set up QoS.

Start at the settings you're paying your ISP. In your case, 100 down and 45 up (make sure you are not switching these values in the GUI).

Decrease the download speed by 5Mbps at a time, making sure to test and simply browse the 'net for at least a few minutes in between before taking good notes and changing the download speeds once again by 5Mbps. You will quickly see where the best values are by referencing your notes. Now, do the same for upload speeds. Finally, you may want to fine-tune these values by getting to the optimum/closest 1Mbps values for your connection. Don't forget, it will be optimum for 'now', whenever that 'now' is that you do this process.

This is something that you may want to revisit/check every few weeks. Yes, things change. ;)

HTH.
I tried every combination with 95/90/85/80 for download and 45/40/35/30 for upload, every time I run dslreport I get the exact same Download/Upload speed : 93mbps/48mbps, even if I set download to 1mpbs and upload to 1mbps, it doesn't make any sense.
Using the Automatic Settings make my bufferbloat skyrockets, Traditional QoS is cutting my download speed by 2/3 while keeping the upload to 48mbps.
*I'm using FreshJr's script and I tested with 1Gpbs LAN.

@axaro1, clearly not normal results. When was the last time you did a full reset/Initialize on the router? Did you minimally and manually configure it afterward? No saved backup config file used to restore any settings, correct?

It might be prudent to wait for the final release for this router (I think RMerlin just received this model to do better development with) too?

Does stock Asus firmware give better results for you at this time?

@axaro1, clearly not normal results. When was the last time you did a full reset/Initialize on the router? Did you minimally and manually configure it afterward? No saved backup config file used to restore any settings, correct?

It might be prudent to wait for the final release for this router (I think RMerlin just received this model to do better development with) too?

Its a problem with the QoS upload not limiting over wifi if I remember correctly

I didn't reset the router before flashing the firmware.
Most of the manual setting have been exported into the beta firmware after flashing.
The stock firmware is giving me more issues and worse results (bufferbloat during upload is fluctuating between 80-150ms with both firmwares, however 384.16_beta1 doesn't cause random 1000/2000ms spikes during the test).

@axaro1 to be sure, first flash the firmware you want to use, then reset/Initialize to full factory defaults. Then follow by minimally and minimally configuring the router to secure it and connect to your ISP. It would not be too much to turn off the ONT/modem too for at least 10 minutes while you're doing the reset on the hardware to also reset your connection to the ISP too.

I don't understand your statement 'Most of the manual setting have been exported into the beta firmware after flashing.' Was this done by using a saved backup config file? What exact customizations are you implementing?

@axaro1

I don't understand your statement 'Most of the manual setting have been exported into the beta firmware after flashing.' Was this done by using a saved backup config file? What exact customizations are you implementing?
I've put it badly, I manually uploaded the .W file to flash the firmware and all the settings that I previously modified in the stock firmware were retained after flashing.
The only customization I implemented is FreshJr script, I had to tweak multiple settings in Wireless->General and Wireless->Professional to get rid of random ping spikes (confirmed by pinging the router) on a device with an AX200.

Its a problem with the QoS upload not limiting over wifi if I remember correctly

This is weird, the upload bufferbloat I'm getting with cable/wifi is the exact same.

@axaro1, what you performed has been recently referred to around here as a 'dirty' upgrade then.

You may want to follow the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides to at least know how your router behaves in a good/known state.

Please see my link in the signature below for both guides. :)

Hi everybody!

When an .ovpn file is uploaded by the OpenVPN Client Settings, always happens under 384.15, that the check box "Verify Server Certificate" is missing and stays in undefined condition: no Yes and no No (see screenshot).

This prevent starting of the OpenVPN Client. After have set it one time, it stay there until you decide to upload again an .ovpn file. You must remember to recheck it everytime!

View attachment 22025

May it depends upon the .ovpn file settings?

If already not to be fixed in 384.16, I ask kindly to fix it

Thanks & Regards
Giorgio

I will need the content of that ovpn file to check, as this setting is based upon the content, and the handling is different between older legacy models like the RT-AC87U and the other models.

SOLVED - WAS GIVEN OLD CERTIFICATE.

RMerlin, I don't know if this is related to the beta 1 firmware, but after I updated I can no longer connect to my client 1 VPN. I use a differnt VPN company for Client 2 and I can connect just fine.

When using client 1 and getting these particular error messages:

VERIFY ERROR: depth=2, error=self signed certificate in certificate chain: C=CH, ST=Lucerne, L=Meggen, O=Golden Frog GmbH, CN=Golden Frog GmbH Root CA, emailAddress=admin@goldenfrog.com
Mar 19 10:25:01 RT-AC86U-3E70 ovpn-client1[1654]: OpenSSL: error:1416F086:lib(20):func(367):reason(134)
Mar 19 10:25:01 RT-AC86U-3E70 ovpn-client1[1654]: TLS_ERROR: BIO read tls_read_plaintext error
Mar 19 10:25:01 RT-AC86U-3E70 ovpn-client1[1654]: TLS Error: TLS object -> incoming plaintext read error
Mar 19 10:25:01 RT-AC86U-3E70 ovpn-client1[1654]: TLS Error: TLS handshake failed
Mar 19 10:25:01 RT-AC86U-3E70 ovpn-client1[1654]: SIGUSR1[soft,tls-error] received, process restarting

Any help identifying would be great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!