What's new

Release [Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.19 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
updated from 384.18 to beta1 on one of my 86u(s), no issues encountered with jffs. Plenty of space so I would imagine corruption may be due to users with an almost full jffs partition?

In my case I was using only 10 MB out of 47 MB JFFS capacity but still got partition unmounted. Had to format JFFS partition, restore it with a backup and reboot from GUI. All is well 10 hours past update coming from 384.18.

I upgraded my RT-AC68U from 384.18 to the new 384.19 beta1. All is working ok: OpenVpn, the new options Game and OpenNat and so further. I tried almost all as in every upgrade I make.
But I cannot access the Qos page linking me to a blank page. I tried to initialize the router but I get the same bug. Is this bug occurring someone too? Thank you for any feedback.

(this is my first post here but I use this firmware since 2 years upgrading almost every month; I didn't realize there was a forum too...)

Just updated on my AX88U but CPU is going Haywire again - no add-ons running, no guest network, fixed channels ....

1596475549670.png

Have done a factory reset / nuke with Alpha 2 showing same symptoms, not iem right now, will revert back to 384.18 for now

@aleandro, welcome to the forums! :)

Have you tried any of the following steps to solve your issue?

Do you have any scripts running via amtm or otherwise?

@ollimoe how long did you leave the router to settle down with the new firmware before flashing back again?

Did you try any steps in the following link to help solve it?

I have upgraded a few RT-AX88U's already today to .19 Beta 1 including my own since v384.19 Alpha 1, and with many more features enabled than you have and none have any of the issues you're reporting.

I just did a dirty update of my RT-AX88U from a4 to 384.19b1.

I noticed 1 issue: I have DNS leaks for traffic routed to my vpn providers (expressvpn and ipvanish). 'Accept dns configuration' is set to exclusive for these vpn clients. I see that dns requests are sent to the dns servers specified in WAN settings (for both vpn clients).

In the alpha firmware I did not have these DNS leaks.

Last edited:
@ollimoe how long did you leave the router to settle down with the new firmware before flashing back again?

Did you try any steps in the following link to help solve it?

I have upgraded a few RT-AX88U's already today to .19 Beta 1 including my own since v384.19 Alpha 1, and with many more features enabled than you have and none have any of the issues you're reporting.

I left it probably 15 to 20 minutes to settle - probably more needed no time/bandwidth to handle it today. Going back to 384.18 brought everything back to normal for now. Having that said I also tried the latest Stock FW swwing the same CPU spikes. This basically means a factory reset and manual reconfig with the next release on a quiet weekend.

Thanks Merlin, It took me a while to figure out how you cleaned/routed/simplified the new vpn code, because of my exotic setup. All is fine and scripts are working great!

I left it probably 15 to 20 minutes to settle - probably more needed no time/bandwidth to handle it today. Going back to 384.18 brought everything back to normal for now. Having that said I also tried the latest Stock FW swwing the same CPU spikes. This basically means a factory reset and manual reconfig with the next release on a quiet weekend.

The router needs some time to settle the new firmware in properly, to the best of my knowledge/experience, a minimum of two reboots is required to ensure that happens fully.

Specifically, at the 15 to 20-minute mark, I reboot any network I've made major changes to. After a further 60 minutes of uptime, I reboot the router/network one final time and usually don't need to worry about it until the next firmware upgrade.

The router needs some time to settle the new firmware in properly, to the best of my knowledge/experience, a minimum of two reboots is required to ensure that happens fully.

Specifically, at the 15 to 20-minute mark, I reboot any network I've made major changes to. After a further 60 minutes of uptime, I reboot the router/network one final time and usually don't need to worry about it until the next firmware upgrade.

Understood - nevertheless the cpu going haywire never happened before - just with the new FW versions - so might be a driver change or whatsoever. While I agree with your assessment above I have never seen such odd behaviour before. Therefore I assume one or more of my settings is incompatible with the new FW, therefore I'll proceed with an reconfig with next update. As said all is back to normal downgrading to 384.18

Having the CPU being active for a few minutes isn't a sign of doom. If after a day or two it had stayed the same (and after a reboot or two, as mentioned already), then I would be suspect too. :)

Just updated on my AX88U but CPU is going Haywire again - no add-ons running, no guest network, fixed channels ....

You have to run "top" to determine what it using the CPU. Chances are it's just maintenance being done on the nt_center database, which will eventually complete and return to normal.

I noticed 1 issue: I have DNS leaks for traffic routed to my vpn providers (expressvpn and ipvanish). 'Accept dns configuration' is set to exclusive for these vpn clients. I see that dns requests are sent to the dns servers specified in WAN settings (for both vpn clients).

What is your policy routing setup?

Also make sure you don't have IPv6 enabled, as this will bypass the VPN.

You have to run "top" to determine what it using the CPU. Chances are it's just maintenance being done on the nt_center database, which will eventually complete and return to normal.

Sounds promising :) As soon as am done with business I'll do another upgrade and let it settle over night - just as a test - will probably report back tomorrow then :)

What is your policy routing setup?

Also make sure you don't have IPv6 enabled, as this will bypass the VPN.

IPV6 is disabled.

Policy routing setup looks like this:
1596479036149.png

In the other VPN client setup I use 172.16.2.0/24 as subnet to route traffic.

As already mentioned: Accept DNS configuration is set to 'Exclusive'. Toggling between 'strict' and 'exclusive' doesn't fix the problem (as it did before with an issue where I used DNS filter)

Last edited:

Have done a factory reset / nuke with Alpha 2 showing same symptoms, not iem right now, will revert back to 384.18 for now
I saw something similar after upgrading my RT-AX88U that is my main Router. It settled down after a few minutes. I did not see this after upgrading my RT-AX88U that is in AP mode.

Right after upgrade:
I2b0OwL.png

Shortly after...
Gere8yV.png

IPV6 is disabled.

Policy routing setup looks like this:
View attachment 25117

In the other VPN client setup I use 172.16.2.0/24 as subnet to route traffic.

As already mentioned: Accept DNS configuration is set to 'Exclusive'. Toggling between 'strict' and 'exclusive' doesn't fix the problem (as it did before with an issue where I used DNS filter)

The source IP must match the subnet of your LAN, which I assume is 192.168.2.0/24. In this setup, you are not routing anything through your VPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!