What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice to see the SMB tweak implmented, should be some decent preformance improvements for those previously not using it.

For the record, I saw zero performance change here with and without buffers.

OpenDNS does not support DNSSEC, it never has. This has nothing to do with Cisco...

No, and don't expect any since that is part of the Linux kernel, which does not get upgrades.

Cisco had 3 years so far to add features

Working fine here on AC3200 on a "bridge modem - router setup", Astrill vpn app working perfectly well too, run time 9+ hours so far

For the record, I saw zero performance change here with and without buffers.

It only affects wireless transfers in my testing and I was getting improvements of something like x2.5.... Wired maxes out regardless.

Cisco had 3 years so far to add features

Provided they want to add it - so far they indicated they had no interest in doing so, as they believe DNSCrypt to be a better solution (tho DNSSEC is an official standard, while DNSCRYPT is a private project).

Just updated from 384.5 and everything went smooth. Had some issues on the 5Ghz connection and now everything seems to be in order once again. Thanks Merlin for the update!

86 & 88 updated smoothly (over alpha2) and working well :)
Thank You RMerlin!!!

Last edited:
Ditto! My AC3100 is running nice after a couple reboots. I had to re-enter my dhcp pool information. I assume the change to dnsmasq may have had something to do with it, however I don't know for certain. As stated above by many this edition rocks!!

Updated from 384.5 12 hours ago - I've been online all day, tested VPN server and client, streamed Plex, and there no errors in the logs, and no sign of trouble (86U).

Might need to switch to cloudflare but the protection is helpful.

FYI, some websites are inaccessible if you use cloudflare DNS, e.g. archive.is (just test it yourself using dig or nslookup).

They blamed archive.is for misconfiguration, which doesn't explain why other DNS servers have no problem accessing archive.is

Longer explanation:
Cloudflare doesn't support ECS, their argument is they don't want to leak end user's IP address to authoritative DNS servers, which archive.is dismissed as not reasonable (you leak more information from HTTP request you generate when accessing a website).

archive.is claimed, the reason cloudflare don't want to support ECS is to cause interference for budget CDNs who cannot afford to pay for Anycast IP and rely on information from DNS.

I kinda side with archive.is on this (but I admit I'm not knowledgeable enough).

Last edited:
My RT-AC86U will not take the beta update over WiFi. I restarted it several times and every time I uploaded the new file I would get the window with "Please wait. Applying settings" but that would not progress to the usual update one (with the percentage bar). I guess I will re-try it via Ethernet cable.

My RT-AC86U will not take the beta update over WiFi. I restarted it several times and every time I uploaded the new file I would get the window with "Please wait. Applying settings" but that would not progress to the usual update one (with the percentage bar). I guess I will re-try it via Ethernet cable.
Did you restart the router without any USB drives plugged in before updating?

Yep, I did. It is the same routine I follow each time and as I did last for the alpha release. I have to admit, this is the first time that I have experienced this with a Merlin FW.

RT-AC5300, dirty upgrade from 384.5 - everything seems to work but the main screen shows
Internet status:
Disconnected​
Yet, all devices are connected to the internet.
When I click on the Network Map, while the web page is loading, I can briefly see:
Checking connection, IP, etc including my DDNS name and Let's Encrypt cert logo​
...but that quickly goes away and insists - Internet status: Disconnected.

Where do I check why it's confused?
Thanks!

PS. I can't connect via my DDNS name, either. Too late to dig into it now.
Flashed back to 384.5 and everything's normal - Router knows it's connected, I can login via https://DDNS:port..... hmmm

Last edited:
Where do I check why it's confused?

The System Log would contain more details.

Also if you are using IPv6, there's been a number of bug fixes that could impact your existing connection. I recommend turning off your modem for 10 mins to fully reset your Internet connection on the ISP side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!