What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been running 384.6 beta for 3 days thus far on my RT-AC3200 and thus far no 2.4Ghz wifi issues, prior to this I was running the latest Asus stock firmware again no issues and I believe the wireless driver is the same between the two so hopefully this marks an end to 2.4Ghz wireless problems.

Well that was weird.

Dirty update to 364.6_beta1 from a super stable all-is-great 364.5...
  • On reboot, suddenly client Chrome browser hates the self-signed cert, warns net::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID
  • OK sure whatever, so download the cert again via browser, save it, add it to computer...
  • Same thing
  • Try to load page anyway, loads middle of page, can't scroll up, right hand frame fails to load. (see below)
  • I assume this is still a Cert issue, try reloading the cert again (and again).
  • Reboot several times in-between dicking around w Certs.
  • No love, same stuff.
  • Can't try HTTP as I have it disabled and can't get to the config page to turn it on. <sigh>. Escalate to Level II.
  • Try SSH, SCP, works totally fine.
  • Browse logs in terminal, nothing jumps out at me.
  • Try loading the HTTPS page in an incognito browser window just for the eff of it.
  • Huh. Seems to work, but then immediately goes into a series of ASUS & TrendMicro "do you accept that we may or may not steal all your information and that you won't steal from us" agreements. Close window.
  • Go back to regular browser, and, suddenly... SSL connection is green-secure, page loads fully, everything is hunky dory, working perfectly, just as it always has....
Maybe browser was blocking the agreement pop-ups and locking me there... Can't figure out why the cert worked in Incognito and then suddenly started working in the regular browser... very weird stuff...

384.6beta1.failuretoload.jpg

Is there any issue with not agreeing to the license messages by the way? I might not have agreed to all of them before trying the 2nd browser window...

I compiled 384.6_B2 from RMerl's github. Works well with no issues. I have a RT-AC86U which is a great router IMHO.

I've notice a potential memory leak on the alpha and also beta (AC68U). I started beta with 118MB of memory used and 6 days later I'm at 129MB. Maybe this higher usage can be attributed to log, traffic analyzer or other data.

Last edited:
I've notice a potential memory leak on the alpha and also beta (AC68U). I started beta with 118MB of memory used and 6 days later I'm at 129MB. Maybe this higher usage can be attributed to log, traffic analyzer or other data.

Are you certain it's not just the way linux uses memory as it sees fit? ie.. disk caching, buffers, etc?

Hey Folks,

Reloaded my RT-AC86U from a clean factory reset over the weekend and loaded 384.6 Beta1. It is running with one OpenVPN server, AB-solution, a 512Mb swap on the USB stick, and all the inbuilt AI protection stuff active.
I'm having a problem with a continuous error message showing in the logs:

Jul 24 22:37:00 kernel: nf_conntrack: expectation table full

Every so often, the additional error of kernel: net_ratelimit: XX callbacks suppressed also shows up.
For something that seems to indicate that the abount of connections id more than the Kernel can take - I'm not seeing any connection problems here (and thats with a gaming PC, 2 phones, a laptop, Netflix from the TV, and a SamKnows whitebox) and all seems to working happily.

So - false error, or am I missing something?

- Dave.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 408
I'm not sure but the memory usage is growing daily.

I've found this on my RT-AC68 since 382 was first released.
I installed 384.5 33 days ago. After the reboot it was using around 42% of memory. I haven't rebooted since, and now I'm up to 76% of memory used.

I've not yet left the router long enough to see if it hits 100%, or if it eventually stabilizes. But it seems to go up around 1% a day.

I've found this on my RT-AC68 since 382 was first released.
I installed 384.5 33 days ago. After the reboot it was using around 42% of memory. I haven't rebooted since, and now I'm up to 76% of memory used.

I've not yet left the router long enough to see if it hits 100%, or if it eventually stabilizes. But it seems to go up around 1% a day.
The "used memory" number reported by the router is misleading at best; memory usage is more complicated than that. Memory that is "used" but can be overwritten immediately is included in the total of "used memory". Is that memory really used? There are a number of ways to get a better idea of the "true" amount of readily available memory, starting with "cat /proc/meminfo" in an ssh session. There are many articles online discussing "free" memory in Linux.

Many u and ü thats Erdogan-Turkish if you want to translate it on your own.

DSL-N17U is a cheap DSL-type, there is no support for these modemrouters by Merlin!

The "used memory" number reported by the router is misleading at best; memory usage is more complicated than that. Memory that is "used" but can be overwritten immediately is included in the total of "used memory". Is that memory really used? There are a number of ways to get a better idea of the "true" amount of readily available memory, starting with "cat /proc/meminfo" in an ssh session. There are many articles online discussing "free" memory in Linux.
If it's just cached/buffers growing (in the output of "free" after ssh-ing into the router) then sure it's not a problem... but the memory management feature is usually enabled (IIRC) by default and that is constantly trying to free those caches... if those aren't what's growing, but the free space continues to drop (or utlization grows) then it's not a case of linux DTRT, but a clear leak somewhere.

I've mentioned this before, but I'll show it again... run "grep VmRSS /proc/*/status|sort -k2 |tail" and see which process is at the end of the list, in /proc/$pid/status... then "ps |grep $pid" for the $pid and see which it is... in my case, it's the httpd process that's now using 22+Mb:

admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# grep VmRSS /proc/*/status|sort -k2 |tail -1
/proc/484/status:VmRSS: 23248 kB
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root# ps|grep 484|grep -v grep
484 admin 25848 S httpd -i br0
admin@RT-AC68U-77D8:/tmp/home/root#

That's evidence of a leak, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!