What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The install of 384.6 beta1 over 384.5 went well on my RT-AC3200. I will let you know if I notice anything out of the ordinary. Thanks RMerlin!

Again install firmware v384.6 Beta 1, too install DNScrypt v2 (2.0.16) using CloudFLARE DNS (DoH), Enable DNSSEC (LAN -> DHCP Server) and use CloudFLARE DNS 1.1.1.1/1.0.0.1 in WAN.

I do not get the error, now CloudFLARE DNS works without problem, they fixed today.

I think you're right:

Makes me suspect that Cloudflare is the one that's broken, might be possibly due to their lack of proper support for EDNS.
Dnsmasq DNSSEC validation is stricter than previous versions, so broken upstream servers might no longer work as before.

Last edited:
Merlin,

Is the version of irqbalance on your onedrive site compatible with AC86U or is there a way to either compile one for it or download one that works with it?

Thanks,

J

New AC68U user here:
Setup the router today, updated to the latest official firmware; 3.0.0.4.384.21140.
Also setup QoS which made me agree to a EULA for TrendMicro.

I then tried to figure out how to install Merlin firmware but it wasn't possible.
The Firmware Upgrade interface was different from what I'd seen in screenshots & videos on the net, but little did I know the Upgrade interface/options change when you agree to the TrendMicro EULA

So each time I tried to flash Merlin's latest firmware I got this message;
Firmware upgrade unsuccessful. This may result from incorrect image or error transmission. Please check the version of firmware and try again.

So if you're on the latest official firmware(3.0.0.4.384.21140) and you can't flash to the latest Merlin, you'll have to withdraw from the TrendMicro EULA under Administration > Privacy.
When you withdraw the firmware upgrade options will revert back to normal and it'll accept the Merlin firmware and start installing it.

I see 3.0.0.4.382.50702 has been released today (18 July) by ASUS for the AC87U, no source code yet.

Hi Merlin,

Is there any possibility to have Merlin 384.6 final for the RT AC87U if the 3.0.0.4.382.50702 FW GPL code is released soon?

Up-time of 2 days now on my AC-3200. Perfect install and all is working just fine!

2 days 18 hrs on my AC-86 flashed over alpha 2. Had to reboot my cable modem to get all of my IPv6 clients to appear (5 vs 2 prior to rebooting) on IPv6 tab (they were connecting ok). Otherwise humming along flawlessly.

Thanks, Merlin!

Merlin,

Is the version of irqbalance on your onedrive site compatible with AC86U or is there a way to either compile one for it or download one that works with it?

Thanks,

J

I probably compiled it for ARM 2.6.26 devices. Someone would need to recompile it against the HND SDK and its 4.1.xx kernel probably.

Hi Merlin,

Is there any possibility to have Merlin 384.6 final for the RT AC87U if the 3.0.0.4.382.50702 FW GPL code is released soon?

I have no way of knowing if that source code is compatible since it's not even available yet...

The System Log would contain more details.

Also if you are using IPv6, there's been a number of bug fixes that could impact your existing connection. I recommend turning off your modem for 10 mins to fully reset your Internet connection on the ISP side.
The 5300 is not confused. It just does not update the internet status properly. If you click on the internet status button, you'll see the correct internet details on the right side. If "disconnected" really bothers you, then just reload the page on your browser.

2 days 384.6 beta 1 on ac68u over 384.5
All fine.......looks solid......
Thanks Merlin

RT-AC5300, dirty upgrade from 384.5 - everything seems to work but the main screen shows
Internet status:
Disconnected​
Yet, all devices are connected to the internet.
When I click on the Network Map, while the web page is loading, I can briefly see:
Checking connection, IP, etc including my DDNS name and Let's Encrypt cert logo​
...but that quickly goes away and insists - Internet status: Disconnected.

Where do I check why it's confused?
Thanks!

PS. I can't connect via my DDNS name, either. Too late to dig into it now.
Flashed back to 384.5 and everything's normal - Router knows it's connected, I can login via https://DDNS:port..... hmmm

Same here:

kg0UEjt.jpg

I have a connection from the ISP and the IP/status blinks - AC68U.

Last edited:
My internet status is always marked as "Disconnected" while DNSSec is enabled. Disable and it displays correctly.

Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 Beta is now available for all supported models, except for the RT-AC87U (as Asus hasn't updated that model to the 382_50624 code). The focus of this release was the update to the latest GPL code available. The highlights:

• Updated GPL to 384_21045(with 382_50624 binary components for the RT-AC56U and RT-AC3200).
  • Added option to enable DNS rebind protection, available on the DHCP page.
  • Updated dnsmasq to 2.80test2-17-g51e4eee, nano to 2.98 and curl to 7.60.0.
  • Added AES-*-GCM ciphers to the OpenVPN legacy cipher list.
  • Added support for the -p switch to netstat. This has been integrated into the Network Tools page, so now netstat will also report which process is currently tied to a specific port/socket.
  • WTFast support was removed from the RT-AC88U, RT-AC3100 and RT-AC5300, as the precompiled components are incompatible with modern versions of curl (wtfast would crash at start on these models). Only Asus/WTFast can fix this.
  • When enabled, DNSSEC validation is now enforced on DNS replies (due to a change in dnsmasq's behaviour). If you are no longer able to do do name resolution on various domains while DNSSEC is enabled, it means your upstream DNS servers do not support DNSSEC. You should either disable it, or switch to DNSSEC compatible servers.

Please keep discussions in this thread to this specific release. Off-topic posts might possibly be removed.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!