What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 Beta is now available for all supported models. The focus of this release was merging newer GPLs, and implementing the new connection tracking report.

The highlights:

• Merged with GPL 384_5329 (RT-AX88U) and GPL 384_45149 (other models). Binary blobs for the RT-AC87U and RT-AC3200 were provided by Asus to allow supporting these two models in this release.
  • Display a list of connections tracked by the Trend Micro DPI engine, along with the classification info. The table can be sorted by clicking on the field headers. The list was added to the "QoS Stats" page, which has been renamed "Classification".
  • Enhancements to the Wireless Log page (report number of spatial streams as well as the PHY type used by clients). Which info is available will vary between router models.
  • Updated built-in components: wget (1.20), nano (3.2), curl (7.62.0), Chart.js (2.7.3), dnsmasq (2.80-32-g28cfe36).
  • Enhancements to DNSFilter: now properly blocks clients using DoT or IPv6 to bypass it.
  • Various fixes and improvements to OpenVPN (resetting a client to default no longer wipes out policy rules or description, fixed DNS strict mode that wasn't working)
  • A number of other fixes and tweaks can be found in the detailed changelog

Please review the changelog for more details.

There is a number of known issues in this release that cannot be fixed at this time:

• dcd process crashing on RT-AC86U (bug in Trend Micro's code, outside of my control).
  • IPv6s on Tracked Connections have their last two bytes set to 00 (bug in Trend Micro's code truncating the last two bytes).
  • No IPS events logged (bug in Asus's code, IPS should work, just fails to log hits)
  • Networkmap listing may be unreliable. (Bug in Asus's code)
  • Users failing to read changelogs will probably complain about the above issues. (Outside of my control).

Please keep the discussions in this thread to this specific beta release. Off-topic posts will either be ignored or deleted, based on my mood at the time.

Downloads are here.
Changelog is here.

I'm so glad this is an itch you choose to, and are able to, scratch. Your code, along with Entware, and all the fine scripts provided by people in this forum, really make the router a powerhouse for those who like to tinker with such things. Thanks as always.

I'm so glad this is an itch you choose to, and are able to, scratch. Your code, along with Entware, and all the fine scripts provided by people in this forum, really make the router a powerhouse for those who like to tinker with such things. Thanks as always.
+1

Flashed on AC3200 , all working except the Client List which is now back to intermittently showing 1 or zero clients , 6 devices are connected and working.

Flashed on AC3200 , all working except the Client List which is now back to intermittently showing 1 or zero clients , 6 devices are connected and working.
4th bullet in the announcement under "There is a number of known issues in this release that cannot be fixed at this time:"

Smooth upgrade to 384.9_beta1 from alpha3 on RT-AC87u

4th bullet in the announcement under "There is a number of known issues in this release that cannot be fixed at this time:"

This also applies!

Very funny , but not very clever. I am well aware of the changelog , thank you.

IF you read the previous comments in the alpha thread on this "bug" , others had the issue and for several of us the last alpha fixed it perfectly.
I was simply letting Eric know that the issue has returned .

As it is I see a replacement router coming shortly and it very definitely won't be anything from ASUS.

3 years of constant bugs and firmware upgrades from ASUS actually causing / introducing more issues than they fix is wearing rather thin.

Uploading Beta1 on Alpha3 deleted all my files on the usb memory (AC86U). This is the first time it has happened to me.

Last edited:
Very funny , but not very clever. I am well aware of the changelog , thank you.

IF you read the previous comments in the alpha thread on this "bug" , others had the issue and for several of us the last alpha fixed it perfectly.
I was simply letting Eric know that the issue has returned .

As it is I see a replacement router coming shortly and it very definitely won't be anything from ASUS.

3 years of constant bugs and firmware upgrades from ASUS actually causing / introducing more issues than they fix is wearing rather thin.
The bug is in Asus' code, so Merlin can't fix it i.e. reporting it does nothing other than frustrate Merlin.

The changelog also says "may be", so it may start working again for you (equally if you return to the alpha, it may stop working after a period of time).

CHANGED: No longer reset the OpenVPN client's description, policy mode and existing rules when uploading an .ovpn config file.

Thank you!!! It's one of the best features ever.

Smooth upgrade. Thanks for all you do, Eric!

Clean install from alpha 3 to 384.9 beta 1 on RT-AC86U, basic settings I use and VPN working fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uploading Beta1 on Alpha3 deleted all my files on the usb memory (AC86U). This is the first time it has happened to me.
Best practice is to remove USB before flashing to free up memory. I forget sometimes though but do my best not to. I did get burned one time when I forgot and my USB drive got corrupted. I had to reformat it. The AC88U has 512MB flash. So, it can be forgiving. Probably more critical to remove the USB for routers with 256MB flash. Use the steps in the Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Upgrade guide I wrote and you won't go wrong.

Last edited:
Best practice is to remove USB before flashing to free up memory. I forget sometimes though but do my best not to foget. I did get burned one time when I forgot and my USB drive got corrupted. I had to reformat it. The AC88U has 512MB flash. So, it can be forgiving. Probably more critical to remove the USB for routers with 256MB flash. Use the steps in the Asuswrt-Merlin Firmware Upgrade guide I wrote and you won't go wrong.
I just forgot to take it out and it happened :(

Beta 1 working solidly on the rt5300 other than the stated issues in the change log. As another posted said above, that OpenVPN change is a huge quality of life change, without having to re-enter all your custom config's. 2019, the year of leaner router maintenance:D

Upgrade AC3100 from V384.9_alpha3-g90685d684 to V384.9_beta1, and dirty reboot router. All appears to be working, except for the following ASUS issue (NOT RMerlin's, as noted in his Changelog), that was re-introduced for the AC3100 in V384.9 Alpha builds, and still present in Beta build (last known working firmware for Networkmap listing for AC3100 was V384.8_2 Final).

• Networkmap listing may be unreliable. (Bug in Asus's code) - RMerlin's Changelog

The firmware doesn't touch disk content, even less firmware updates. Something else caused the issue, could be filesystem corruption that occurred during the reboot.

So, the only way to turn off the Tracked Connections is to disable QOS?
Also missing the setting to turn off wan up via DNS check.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!