What's new

[Beta] Asuswrt-Merlin 384.9 Beta is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
All of the above reset each time I upload a .ovpn config file.

Double check the firmare version you are running, because it's working properly on my RT-AX88U.

Installed and running as expected on the 86U with the already mentioned bugs.

Otherwise humming along happily.

A question please:

Admin>System>Network Monitoring,
Can the ‘ping target’ be an IP address, or does that defeat the purpose?

Last edited:
A question please:

Admin>System>Network Monitoring,
Can the ‘ping target’ be an IP address, or does that defeat the purpose?
I use the first hop ISP router as the ping target

I use the first hop ISP router as the ping target
Using an upstream router may be OK if you have a static IP address. With my ISP I never know if my router will keep the same IP address on reboot or end up with an address that looks completely different from the last. My WAN IP updates every 15 minutes and I have seen the address change several times a day without rebooting!
If you decide to use an IP address I would recommend a DNS server like Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) or Google (8.8.8.8) especially if you use Stubby or DNSCrypt. I use stubby and had "connection failure" at times even though the router had an IP address. Turning off Network Monitoring, before 384.9 beta1, fixed this. Am going to give Network Monitoring/Ping a try with IP of 1.1.1.1

The httpd still freezes up and must be restarted in order to gain access to the GUI on my AC86U. This happened after less than 1 day on the new beta, where the previous versions of the newer code, the GUI would work for a few days (depending upon usage), before becoming unresponsive and need a service restart.

Are there any more details on what was supposed to be fixed with the httpd with the AC86U?

Using an upstream router may be OK if you have a static IP address. With my ISP I never know if my router will keep the same IP address on reboot or end up with an address that looks completely different from the last. My WAN IP updates every 15 minutes and I have seen the address change several times a day without rebooting!
If you decide to use an IP address I would recommend a DNS server like Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) or Google (8.8.8.8) especially if you use Stubby or DNSCrypt. I use stubby and had "connection failure" at times even though the router had an IP address. Turning off Network Monitoring, before 384.9 beta1, fixed this. Am going to give Network Monitoring/Ping a try with IP of 1.1.1.1
FWIW, I changed to network monitoring / ping with 1.1.1.1 somewhere around the 1st 384.9 alpha build and it's been fine ever since. I'm not using DNS for network monitoring at all.

The httpd still freezes up and must be restarted in order to gain access to the GUI on my AC86U. This happened after less than 1 day on the new beta, where the previous versions of the newer code, the GUI would work for a few days (depending upon usage), before becoming unresponsive and need a service restart.

Are there any more details on what was supposed to be fixed with the httpd with the AC86U?

I ‘thought’ that had been fixed with the latest firmware.
No longer having a problem here - thus far.
(Now just watch it happen again....... ;-). )

@RMerlin ... there is a compile problem for you to check out.

Unknown option "--disable-mipsfpu".
See ./configure --help for available options.
Makefile:4171: recipe for target 'ffmpeg/stamp-h1' failed
make[5]: *** [ffmpeg/stamp-h1] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory '/home/xxxx/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src/router'
Makefile:30: recipe for target 'router_all' failed
make[4]: *** [router_all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/xxxx/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/userspace'
make.hndrt:210: recipe for target 'userspace' failed
make[3]: *** [userspace] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/xxxx/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd'
make.hndrt:15: recipe for target 'parallel_targets' failed
make[2]: *** [parallel_targets] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/xxxx/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd'
Makefile:3960: recipe for target 'bin' failed
make[1]: *** [bin] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/xxxx/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd'
Makefile:4109: recipe for target 'rt-ac86u' failed
make: *** [rt-ac86u] Error 2

is trend even working ,with this release ? my fathers computer got jhacked with ak\ll trend turned on seems it did nothing to top the attack , not sure what happeed as ave not inspected router or comp, trendmight not be working but it sure eats ram on the router t uses 138 mb last time i looked , strange

@RMerlin ... there is a compile problem for you to check out.

Unknown option "--disable-mipsfpu".
See ./configure --help for available options.
Makefile:4171: recipe for target 'ffmpeg/stamp-h1' failed
make[5]: *** [ffmpeg/stamp-h1] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory '/home/xxxx/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src/router'
Makefile:30: recipe for target 'router_all' failed
make[4]: *** [router_all] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory '/home/xxxx/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd/userspace'
make.hndrt:210: recipe for target 'userspace' failed
make[3]: *** [userspace] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory '/home/xxxx/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd'
make.hndrt:15: recipe for target 'parallel_targets' failed
make[2]: *** [parallel_targets] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/xxxx/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd'
Makefile:3960: recipe for target 'bin' failed
make[1]: *** [bin] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/xxxx/asuswrt-merlin.ng/release/src-rt-5.02hnd'
Makefile:4109: recipe for target 'rt-ac86u' failed
make: *** [rt-ac86u] Error 2

Checkout a clean copy of the folder. I don't see why it would refer to mipsfpu when the models I support are all ARM-based.

Checkout a clean copy of the folder. I don't see why it would refer to mipsfpu when the models I support are all ARM-based.

I downloaded a clean copy and am now compiling. I guess corrupted files happens???

New git download same problem compiling. "mipsfpu"

Last edited:
Is this right? From RT-AC86U_384.8_2 to RT-AC86U_384.9_beta1

Running VPN 2 clients. “Client 1” is setup with Policy rules routing strict and 3 devices outside the tunnel with “DNS exclusive” like 192.168.1.0/24 and outside 192.168.1.10 and ip 192.168.1.20 etc etc. The Second “client 3” is setup for 1 device only with policy rules strict like 192.168.1.10 but now with “DNS Strict”. Problem is that the first 3 from Client 1 (routing outside the tunnel) are using the DNS from client 3 DNS strict, but in theory should use WAN DNS in my opinion. To solve this I set client 3 to use DNS exclusive or none, and all 3 from client 1 will use WAN DNS.

Long story short, 3 devices outside the tunnel will use DNS from other VPN client when set to DNS Strict.

I have a RT-AX88U and when I update the firmware to this beta my 5 ghz wifi stops. I have tried disabling/re-enabling, restarting etc but nothing brings it back apart from reverting to the latest non-beta firmware. I also had the same problem with the pre beta alpha releases. I have smart connect enabled and also tried disabling this but still did not bring back the 5 ghz.
The wireless log shows that 5 ghz is enabled but the BSSID displays as 00:00:00:00:00:00. Also the 5ghz led is off.

Also with the latest non-beta firmware if I make any kind of change to wifi, be it the smart connect rules or whatever then 5 ghz stops and I have to reboot to get it back. The 'service restart_wireless' doesn't have any effect either.

Last edited:
is trend even working ,with this release ? my fathers computer got jhacked with ak\ll trend turned on seems it did nothing to top the attack , not sure what happeed as ave not inspected router or comp, trendmight not be working but it sure eats ram on the router t uses 138 mb last time i looked , strange
AiProtection does work with this release and continues to block malicious web sites. If dad is not a savvy surfer he can easily get his PC messed up. Using a safe DNS server may help a bit. Learning safe surfing even better!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

right not a trend problem he responded to a message on web page his comp was infected and invited them in , i foolishly thought trend would block this from happening , no such luck , tech savy he is not nd e has no desire to learn
besides that 384.9 beta working well except for trend eating RAM ,,so turned off on my router

I have a RT-AX88U and when I update the firmware to this beta my 5 ghz wifi stops. I have tried disabling/re-enabling, restarting etc but nothing brings it back apart from reverting to the latest non-beta firmware. I also had the same problem with the pre beta alpha releases. I have smart connect enabled and also tried disabling this but still did not bring back the 5 ghz.
The wireless log shows that 5 ghz is enabled but the BSSID displays as 00:00:00:00:00:00. Also the 5ghz led is off.

Also with the latest non-beta firmware if I make any kind of change to wifi, be it the smart connect rules or whatever then 5 ghz stops and I have to reboot to get it back. The 'service restart_wireless' doesn't have any effect either.

Thanks for posting this, I thought I'm going crazy yesterday. Spent several hours on trying to find the issue and finally reverted back to 384.8_2. Tried different control channels, bandwidths, disable - enable nothing helps. Going back to 384.8_2 and everything works again. So there is definitely something in this firmware that doesn't work.
Restarting the wireless 5GHz service shows no errors in the sys log. Here is all that's displayed:
Jan 30 10:43:26 rc_service: cfg_server 1313:notify_rc restart_wireless

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!