What's new

[Beta] RT-AC87U 9.0.0.4.378.9110

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Anybody tell me where is option add Scheduler for Reboot Router ?
Do you really need one? I have one still with 7410 and it's on since that build was released.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Do you really need one? I have one still with 7410 and it's on since that build was released.
Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

this is a reason

Release NoteAdded
1. New wifi driver to improve wifi connection
2. Traffic Analyzer for monitoring your network traffic
3. Bandwidth Limiter in Adaptive QoS
4. USB to USB smart sync mode
5. A scheduler for Router Reboot
6. Can edit offline devices in client list

So suddenly @about 9PM yesterday the mDNSNetMonitor errors stopped on both AP and Router and haven't come back 12 hours later.

I've absolutely no idea what happened at that time - no devices were rebooted or any services changed. A bit of a mystery. Not sure they were ever actually a problem, although it would be good to know!

Read features what add in this beta

Wysłane z mojego SM-G850F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Looks like a dialogue of the deaf, LoL :D Some users here would like to find where this option is in the GUI and not why it has been introduced.

Last edited:
These errors are nasty. Whatever the problem causing these errors needs to be fixed asap. Because when it occurs, the router becomes totally unresponsive for a few seconds.
Sep 28 09:48:18 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Sep 28 09:48:21 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Sep 28 09:48:21 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Sep 28 09:48:30 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Sep 28 09:48:30 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong
Sep 28 09:50:25 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong

@Asus - Fix this problem

These errors are nasty. Whatever the problem causing these errors needs to be fixed asap.
@Asus - Fix this problem

Relax. It's a beta, and is intended for testing and spotting issues. If it really needs to be fixed "ASAP", then you shouldn't be running a beta IMHO.

Relax. It's a beta, and is intended for testing and spotting issues. If it really needs to be fixed "ASAP", then you shouldn't be running a beta IMHO.
SERIOUSLY, I don't even know why people like JK and Apple and others release public betas. It seems like there is always a significant portion of the users that whine and complain that the in-progress, test version doesn't run perfectly...or keep trying to add in their own personally preferable feature (in U.S. politics, this is referred to as pork-barrelling) set.

I admire those companies that offer public betas, but really wish that users would understand what a beta is and what a beta isn't and that looking for feedback doesn't equate to looking to incorporate everyone's wishes. I completely understand closed systems.

SERIOUSLY, I don't even know why people like JK and Apple and others release public betas. It seems like there is always a significant portion of the users that whine and complain that the in-progress, test version doesn't run perfectly...or keep trying to add in their own personally preferable feature (in U.S. politics, this is referred to as pork-barrelling) set.

I admire those companies that offer public betas, but really wish that users would understand what a beta is and what a beta isn't and that looking for feedback doesn't equate to looking to incorporate everyone's wishes. I completely understand closed systems.

Devil's advocate: these betas are bringing some much needed stability to the 5GHz network with the RT-AC87U. I'm using two of these routers (one routing, one as a wireless bridge) and my choices for anything resembling reliability are these newest betas (with their own set of issues) or the shipping firmware (.2769), leaving my iOS devices a disaster on the 5GHz network and my wireless printer inaccessible from anything connected to 5GHz. This isn't a true apples-to-apples comparison between the RT-AC87U and Apple's betas, because at least the stable versions of Apple's software are exactly that, stable.

Devil's advocate: these betas are bringing some much needed stability to the 5GHz network with the RT-AC87U. I'm using two of these routers (one routing, one as a wireless bridge) and my choices for anything resembling reliability are these newest betas (with their own set of issues) or the shipping firmware (.2769), leaving my iOS devices a disaster on the 5GHz network and my wireless printer inaccessible from anything connected to 5GHz. This isn't a true apples-to-apples comparison between the RT-AC87U and Apple's betas, because at least the stable versions of Apple's software are exactly that, stable.

No need to advocate as a devil, you seem to be appreciative of the opportunity as opposed to one of the ones that complains that it ain't perfect or pushing for your own personalized feature set to be integrated. I don't want to deal with betas, so I don't. I like being excited about the future though, so I read about them. When I did mess with betas, I appreciated them for what they are, which you appear to subscribe to also. I think that's my bigger message, be appreciative that these companies are even involving public beta testers instead of being demanding

Bottom line is Asus has had more then enough time to get a flagship router working as advertised. Yes i can say this because i like many of you have purchased and returned the 87U because the 5 G band in my opinion is flat out broke. Customers should expect a product to at least work as advertised before its released to the public the 87U is a Asus failure. o_O

I have the same setup as you, and I purchased these routers within the first week or two of availability (back when only the RT-AC87R was big because the U version wasn't available online yet). I tried some of the newer firmware, but 4950 was the last stable release I've had success with. I can usually get the primary router and bridge to 4-6 weeks of uptime before I have a reason to reboot them. I'm honestly just looking for the next release ASUS considers stable enough to post on their main router support page (without the 'Japan Only' badge), but it seems like we are a few more months away from the next stable drop.

To be fair, I keep my 5GHz network mostly empty, primarily used by the unit in Media Bridge mode. Most devices inevitably swap over to 2.4GHz within the span of a couple hours due to signal strength.

Sep 28 09:50:25 mDNSNetMonitor: GetLargeResourceRecord: opt 65002 optlen 8 wrong

Keep in mind that mDNSResponder is open-sourced - some of it is from Apple directly..

So if we go back to Apple's code... too many responses, so mDNS runs off the end of the pier...

Code:
for (i=0; i<msg->h.numAnswers; i++)
{
const mDNSu8 *ep = ptr;
ptr = GetLargeResourceRecord(m, msg, ptr, end, InterfaceID, kDNSRecordTypePacketAns, &pkt);
if (!ptr) { DisplayError(srcaddr, ep, end, "KNOWN ANSWER"); return; }
DisplayResourceRecord(srcaddr, "(KA)", &pkt.r.resrec);

// In the case of queries with long multi-packet KA lists, we count each subsequent KA packet
// the same as a single query, to more accurately reflect the burden on the network
// (A query with a six-packet KA list is *at least* six times the burden on the network as a single-packet query.)
if (msg->h.numQuestions == 0 && i == 0)
recordstat(entry, pkt.r.resrec.name, OP_query, pkt.r.resrec.rrtype);
}

for (i=0; i<msg->h.numAuthorities; i++)
{
const mDNSu8 *ep = ptr;
ptr = skipResourceRecord(msg, ptr, end);
if (!ptr) { DisplayError(srcaddr, ep, end, "AUTHORITY"); return; }
}

if (entry) AnalyseHost(m, entry, InterfaceID);
}

Bug? :D . IMO, no need to make any big investigation or complex hypothesis. On the contrary, I see this thread more and more with chatting and it will be hard for ASUS to navigate and extract bugs from it. I would keep it simple and stick to the issues.

This thread is one of only 2 globally for this beta and has maybe 10 posts per day. If this beta was my job I don't think it would be that hard to stay on top of!

The "chatting" would die down considerably if there was a quick post from the team saying "oh, yeah, we know what that is, it will be dealt with", or "can you gather info on a, b & c", in the absence of that you can't blame people for trying to nail the cause themselves.

On the other hand, I do understand if the team are too busy to endure us. Really it's their choice, get more involved and focus the discussion or leave us to it. Personally, having gone to the trouble of starting this thread, I'm surprised they haven't done the former, but it's their call.

Last edited:
Question is why have we never seen this problem before.

Because mDNSResponder wasn't in the firmware before.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!