What's new

[Beta] RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_8248 Unofficial Beta

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yeahp, like traffic analyzer something I was waiting for

Replied through Tapatalk

This is why manufacturers should not release half baked products. They should release products when it's fully functional, not "we'll fix it later" crap that they are doing.

If they don't deliver mu-mimo, nor fix the 5ghz issue, do we have grounds to sue? Or at least return the product and get a full refund past the 30 days of purchase?

I am thinking about taking this to small claims court if they don't deliver mu-mimo or at least fix the 5ghz issue. I am currently not using the 5ghz band because of this. I didn't buy a wireless N router.

How many people have actually confirmed that it's not working in this new firmware version? I'd like to see some more qualified reports and opinions on this new version in detail and with reliable data on whether the user who conducted the test has followed all required steps for carrying out a genuine assessment of the reliability of this fw build (i.e. ensuring that everything had been reset to factory defaults with wiping the nvram and explicitly not using any restore option, etc., etc.)

If you check the thread over at the other forum on which this fw had originally been released you will see it's spammed with unqualified comments, too many distracting rants and very few, clear posts which actually add any value or provide real information.

"After this beta I ran to my local Bestbuy, bought a Netgear instead and ever since then my life is complete!"-style postings are getting boring after a while, at least IMHO.

So, any more opinions especially regarding the 5GHz Beamforming performance of this firmware version?

How many people have actually confirmed that it's not working in this new firmware version? I'd like to see some more qualified reports and opinions on this new version in detail and with reliable data on whether the user who conducted the test has followed all required steps for carrying out a genuine assessment of the reliability of this fw build (i.e. ensuring that everything had been reset to factory defaults with wiping the nvram and explicitly not using any restore option, etc., etc.)

If you check the thread over at the other forum on which this fw had originally been released you will see it's spammed with unqualified comments, too many distracting rants and very few, clear posts which actually add any value or provide real information.

"After this beta I ran to my local Bestbuy, bought a Netgear instead and ever since then my life is complete!"-style postings are getting boring after a while, at least IMHO.

So, any more opinions especially regarding the 5GHz Beamforming performance of this firmware version?

I know it's not confirmed that the 5ghz band is fixed or not, i'm going to test it tonight myself, if it's not fixed then i am still willing to give asus 6 months to fix it before i take actions.

I'm not demanding too much stuff, i just want the 5ghz to be usable and reliable, that's all i want.

If they don't fix it, then that should be enough for me to be able to take it to small claims court along with the missing mu-mimo feature.

how long are we supposed to wait for mu-mimo? Isn't 2 years enough? I know there are no mu-mimo clients yet but that isn't an excuse not to deliver the advertised feature.

I'm not demanding too much stuff, i just want the 5ghz to be usable and reliable, that's all i want.
I agree. It'd be quite ironic otherwise if we'd get an actually more reliable and therefore better experience when choosing a more lo-fi 802.11n-only router, for less cash as well.

One year should honestly be enough. One year in tech is a lot nowadays. I bought this device in September last year and considering the fact that half of the mobile devices in our house are still having connection problems on 5G, which seem to be influenced by/related to software (since some fw version are worse than others in this regard) is quite disappointing to say the least.

I could go on about this for ages but for now - since I don't want to throw that router away or go through the annoyance of replacing it - I'm just hoping for the best... fingers crossed that the next tests will deliver some more positive results in that area. IMO if this won't work by the end of 2015 (literally, end of December) then this is a bad joke. A banana product that actually never turned yellow ;-P

For those who plan on testing this firmware, can someone test to see if the latency issues have been worked on? I've noticed up until the latest beta firmwares that while 2.4GHz connections hover around the 1ms latency mark (sometimes sub-1ms) between client and router, 5GHz connections are much higher at between 4-9ms.

how long are we supposed to wait for mu-mimo? Isn't 2 years enough? I know there are no mu-mimo clients yet but that isn't an excuse not to deliver the advertised feature.

I claimed the same error when i complained about it, 1 year passed not 2. :)

Last edited:
Regarding the basic stability of the 5GHz band (meaning without MU-MIMO and beamforming): I have to say that there are no hardware issues which should prevent a flawless function. As far as I was able to observe this over all these months, the connection issues are restricted to mobile devices and related devices (quasi-embedded, smart, etc. devices and those based on mobile OS'es, like set top boxes).

All of my regular computers which include Windows boxes with 5GHz and ARM Chromebook, also with 5GHz, are rock solid, with no connection drops at all. When it comes to the Windows machine e.g. I know that the connection is flawlessly perfect, as I need to use that for work - so what I'm getting is a 100% uninterrupted connection, via VPN over a whole 8 or 9hr work day - otherwise I'd see any connection drops instantly in the VPN client's logs and notifications.

So, as far as I know those problems are mostly related to mobile device's adapter's going into sleep mode while being connected to the RT-AC87, otherwise the non-Beamforming 5GHz is already quite stable for non-Apple users.

Anyway.......

How's this version looking so far? I saw not everything is fixed, but are there improvements so far on the 5Ghz side of things? Or still too early to tell?

Anyway.......

How's this version looking so far? I saw not everything is fixed, but are there improvements so far on the 5Ghz side of things? Or still too early to tell?
I would like to test if more days to have an opinion. But so far is going good for me

Replied through Tapatalk

Dear all,

RT-AC87U_3.0.0.4_378_8248

Fix French UI
Fix bugs
New: Enable Traffic Analyzer
Update: IPTV ISP profile setting of 'movistar' & 'meo'
Update: Quantenna SDK: v37.3.0.50 (acR3.2.1)
Update signature into 1.066
Update: dnsmasq: 2.75
Update: openssl 1.0.2d
Update: adjust the maximum number of Guest Network MAC filter. (16 client per Guest network)
Fix: 5Ghz AP isolate issue
Fix: Allow $, ",` and \ in SSID and WPA-PSK for Quantenna
Fix traffic monitor issues
Update Extend max VPN clients to 30 for high-end models
Fix: [Adaptive QoS] [Bandwidth Limiter] less than the actual speed setpoint
Fix:[AiProtection] turn cause the machine to reboot repeatedly endanger website
Fix: [USB Application] USB HDD can not mount
Fix: [AiProtection] Parental controls time scheduling blocking message can not be displayed

Download: http://goo.gl/zdcNK6

Require: Restore to factory default.

Please feedback to me if you encounter any issue.

Skimming through this I notice some "improvements" to the Trend Micro AI Protection.

This article however is of concern:

We’re in bed together, admit Intel Security, Trend Micro and NCA

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/0...cybersecurity_efforts_in_virtual_threat_team/

Regarding the basic stability of the 5GHz band (meaning without MU-MIMO and beamforming): I have to say that there are no hardware issues which should prevent a flawless function. As far as I was able to observe this over all these months, the connection issues are restricted to mobile devices and related devices (quasi-embedded, smart, etc. devices and those based on mobile OS'es, like set top boxes).

All of my regular computers which include Windows boxes with 5GHz and ARM Chromebook, also with 5GHz, are rock solid, with no connection drops at all. When it comes to the Windows machine e.g. I know that the connection is flawlessly perfect, as I need to use that for work - so what I'm getting is a 100% uninterrupted connection, via VPN over a whole 8 or 9hr work day - otherwise I'd see any connection drops instantly in the VPN client's logs and notifications.

So, as far as I know those problems are mostly related to mobile device's adapter's going into sleep mode while being connected to the RT-AC87, otherwise the non-Beamforming 5GHz is already quite stable for non-Apple users.

Do you regularly restart your router? Since around the _6xxx beta firmwares, I've been having an issue where computers will eventually not be able to connect to the 5GHz channel (Windows says it's unable to connect) and sometimes the 2.4GHz channel gets unstable. A router reboot always fixes this.

Not my case. Hopefully I never had tp restart mine, and with non apple devices works good. But with apple (iphones) I see some problems with wireless.
Im going to test this firmware an see how it works...

Replied through Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!