What's new

Breaking Dad's Big Bad Gaming Discussion - For all things to do with PC Gaming !

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AGESA 1.0.0.7 is still a work in progress and doesn't really fix anything important as far as tempratures or other bugs are concerned.

It is also planned to be replaced (maybe that is why it is so unstable for so long for so many).

The 1.0.0.7A, which is the updated BIOS with Patch A addresses the issues. The only issue still with the Patch A, is the DDR5 Speed is still limited. There is plans for a Patch B already in the works and Patch C is also planned. OpenSIL has nothing to do with the buggy AGESA code, and also will not replace AGESA until Zen6 timeframe. AMD also has another AGESA beyond 1.0.0.7 to further fix and address issues while also pushing bug fixes and security updates still.

But sadly, Ryzen 7000 users will have to wait several more months before receiving the full list of fixes unless motherboard vendors implement a workaround. Apparently, AGESA 1.0.0.7 does not feature any bug fixes for the CPU thermal control system and only incorporates the new AMD-regulated SoC voltage limitation of 1.3v. However, HardwareLuxx says it doesn't know if the fix is already implemented into the patch. The tech outlet has asked AMD about the issue but has not received a response yet.

All we know is that other reports indicate AGESA 1.0.0.7 doesn't have these fixes in place, including a recent Reddit post showing a Ryzen 9 7950X running at over 110 degrees Celcius with a beta BIOS featuring the new microcode update. So it does not seem like the thermal bug fixes are in place. However, we can't confirm if the thermal issues are BIOS related or related to the AGESA microcode update, so take these reports with a grain of salt until we get official confirmation from AMD.

As the quote (above) from the link I provided shows, no, the issues aren't addressed.

The buggy AGESA code is surely a big reason for the openSIL code.

Believing otherwise is not objectively assessing the facts, as presented.

It's kicking off again....

Let's hope Asus listen.

Last edited:
As the quote (above) from the link I provided shows, no, the issues aren't addressed.

The buggy AGESA code is surely a big reason for the openSIL code.

Believing otherwise is not objectively assessing the facts, as presented.
New project @RMerlin ? AsusMerlin Motherboard Bios :D

I wish Steve stopped doing tabloid journalism and went back to what he does best, which is pushing in-depth charts of technical reviews. He published like three videos about the Artesian Build issues, 2 or 3 videos about Newegg's mishandling of RMAs, one video about Linus's pre-launch wording of his product warranty, 2 or 3 videos about Gigabyte's exploding PSU, and now two or three videos about Asus and AMD's BIOS issues, even using the word "Scumbag" in his video thumbnail. If that's not tabloid behaviour, I don't know what is.

He often complains when companies refuse to discuss these issues with him while having the whole discussion recorded. Steve's been in this industry long enough by now, he should know that company officials will regularly say things that have to be "off the record" either because this is information covered under NDA, because this is information that comes from another department and they aren't legally allowed to discuss it, or because anything they say may be used against them in a lawsuit if they misspoke or accidentally provided invalid information because they were trying to answer a face-to-face question. This is just how journalism works, we regularly get reports from "sources that cannot be named because they aren't allowed to discuss the matter" in articles about politics, finance or sports.

Jay's video seemed more relevant to me, because he provided first hand experiences to explain his position, and he won't be publishing two more rant videos with the sole goal of gathering more views.

Personally, I think the issue is industry-wide.

- Asus' motherboard went up in price and down in quality over the years.
- MSI had some X570 motherboard whose VRMs were running at around 100C, a good 20C higher than all other X570 board manufacturers.
- Gigabyte has had extensive RMA handling and QA issues, and exploding PSUs
- Intel's i225-V and i226-V NICs have been plagued with countless issues despite silicon revisions and driver workarounds (I'm still struggling with the i225-V version 3 NIC on my own motherboard, and starting to consider dropping a Realtek PCI-E NIC in there. Yes, Realtek is starting to be more reliable than Intel in the networking NIC department).
- NVIDIA drawing 450W of power through a small plastic connector that can be mishandled by customers, and tolerance margins at manufacturing can lead to a fire hazard
- AMD had some issues as well with their RX7000 GPU series (I can't remember what it was)
- How often is Microsoft pushing Windows updates that break stuff in a pretty significant way these days? It used to be very rare. Now, two borked update a year seems to be their norm, following them reducing the size of their QA team after the launch of the WIndows Insiders program.

While COVID-19 was often blamed as the reason for the drop in QA, I haven't seen things get any better as the COVID issues started to recede, and it all started before COVID. It's all about shipping products with as high a profit margin as possible (because if you don't have a Y2Y growth in the double digits, investors consider your business to be a failure), and shipping it as fast as possible (because you need to be first to market - software issues can always be fixed with a latter patch, right?). If anything, QA should be more important than ever, now that we are dealing with products drawing 200-500W of power, and doing all of this with transistors that are a few atoms wide only, numbering in millions on a small piece of silicon.

I love technology. But these past few years, I also started to hate technology. Because we're pushing too hard, too fast, with little concern about quality or potential issues.

/rant off

First time I’ve seen you rant @RMerlin, don’t mind it though. Nice to see your overall perspective on the industry.

As for power draw I think TechPowerUp or HotHardware don’t recall which did a test on Ryzen 7K and Intel 13th gen across various TDP profiles where they showed very little loss in performance at like 65W (Ryzen) and I think somewhat higher wattage but not far for Intel either, pretty much both product lines are pushing heavily past their optimal Frequency/voltage curves. Same for the nvidia 4000 series honestly from experience.

Last edited:
I wish Steve stopped doing tabloid journalism and went back to what he does best, which is pushing in-depth charts of technical reviews. He published like three videos about the Artesian Build issues, 2 or 3 videos about Newegg's mishandling of RMAs, one video about Linus's pre-launch wording of his product warranty, 2 or 3 videos about Gigabyte's exploding PSU, and now two or three videos about Asus and AMD's BIOS issues, even using the word "Scumbag" in his video thumbnail. If that's not tabloid behaviour, I don't know what is.

He often complains when companies refuse to discuss these issues with him while having the whole discussion recorded. Steve's been in this industry long enough by now, he should know that company officials will regularly say things that have to be "off the record" either because this is information covered under NDA, because this is information that comes from another department and they aren't legally allowed to discuss it, or because anything they say may be used against them in a lawsuit if they misspoke or accidentally provided invalid information because they were trying to answer a face-to-face question. This is just how journalism works, we regularly get reports from "sources that cannot be named because they aren't allowed to discuss the matter" in articles about politics, finance or sports.

Jay's video seemed more relevant to me, because he provided first hand experiences to explain his position, and he won't be publishing two more rant videos with the sole goal of gathering more views.

- MSI had some X570 motherboard whose VRMs were running at around 100C, a good 20C higher than all other X570 board manufacturers.
- Intel's i225-V and i226-V NICs have been plagued with countless issues despite silicon revisions and driver workarounds (I'm still struggling with the i225-V version 3 NIC on my own motherboard, and starting to consider dropping a Realtek PCI-E NIC in there. Yes, Realtek is starting to be more reliable than Intel in the networking NIC department).
- NVIDIA drawing 450W of power through a small plastic connector that can be mishandled by customers, and tolerance margins at manufacturing can lead to a fire hazard
- AMD had some issues as well with their RX7000 GPU series (I can't remember what it was)
- How often is Microsoft pushing Windows updates that break stuff in a pretty significant way these days? It used to be very rare. Now, two borked update a year seems to be their norm, following them reducing the size of their QA team after the launch of the WIndows Insiders program.

While COVID-19 was often blamed as the reason for the drop in QA, I haven't seen things get any better as the COVID issues started to recede, and it all started before COVID. It's all about shipping products with as high a profit margin as possible (because if you don't have a Y2Y growth in the double digits, investors consider your business to be a failure), and shipping it as fast as possible (because you need to be first to market - software issues can always be fixed with a latter patch, right?). If anything, QA should be more important than ever, now that we are dealing with products drawing 200-500W of power, and doing all of this with transistors that are a few atoms wide only, numbering in millions on a small piece of silicon.

I love technology. But these past few years, I also started to hate technology. Because we're pushing too hard, too fast, with little concern about quality or potential issues.

/rant off
I do wonder about this issue, no matter which bios version you are using, they can all be fixed with a simple manual cap on the soc voltage. I'm running 1303 1.0.0.6 which was the last non beta bios with cap and am not experiencing any high soc voltages, on full load I peak at 1.245 which is below the recommended by AMD of 1.25 (1.3)

I will stay on this bios until there is a non beta with 1.0.0.7 patch (a,b,c etc)

I also wonder just how many people out the millions of chips and boards these companies make have actually had this issue, and what settings the people that had these issues were using to get this burn out.

It hasn't really put me off AMD , although if I had a time machine I would probably of bought an Asrock board and not an ASUS one, just for more peace of mind. It does annoy me that Asus are forcing higher voltages to gain stability than they should be.

Ever since this issue came to light on reddit there has been mass hysteria over this issue, which is still going on today. At some point I will take out my chip just to have a check on it, but I really think I don't really need to, but hell for peace of mind w/e.

I'm sure Asus will bounce back, just like gigabyte did with their exploding psus.

As for power draw I think TechPowerUp or HotHardware don’t recall which did a test on Ryzen 7K and Intel 13th gen across various TDP profiles where they showed very little loss in performance at like 65W (Ryzen) and I think somewhat higher wattage but not far for Intel either, pretty much both product lines are pushing heavily past their optimal Frequency/voltage curves.
It's a diminishing return curve. Same thing with my Ryzen 9 5900X, where I manually limit PPT to 170W versus Asus's default that's 190W (or more, I forgot the exact value). Sure, Cinebench may be losing a few dozen points. But the fans are quieter, and my compile time are virtually identical as with the higher power limit.

I'm sure Asus will bounce back, just like gigabyte did with their exploding psus.
I bought a Gigabyte GPU last summer. Returned it 24 hours later because due to most likely a bad fan design, the cooling would start emitting a highly annoying oscillating sound once the fans reached around 1900 rpm. Switched to an Asus GPU that didn't have the issue.

It's just a single person anecdote here tho, I don't know for a fact if that issue is common with Gigabyte GPUs. I know that a few generations ago some of their GPUs were notable for having fairly loud coil noise.

/rant off
I agree wholeheartedly with what you said. Quality dropped all around on nearly the entire tech industry. I think part of it has to do with consumer demand and meeting a time schedule that is more aggressive than before while trying to cut cost down.

Adding to Microsoft's case, the consumer base is to varied and demanding, plus Microsoft is trying to stay as relevant as possible in the OS business along with constant updates. It does look like they finally slowed that pace down with constant changes to the underlying hood of the OS, but they still deliver 2-4 feature updates a year. QA has gotten better, but not completely to where Microsoft could be and should be for an OS. Even their games have been suffering as they rush to get them out and patch later.

I bought a Gigabyte GPU last summer. Returned it 24 hours later because due to most likely a bad fan design, the cooling would start emitting a highly annoying oscillating sound once the fans reached around 1900 rpm. Switched to an Asus GPU that didn't have the issue.

It's just a single person anecdote here tho, I don't know for a fact if that issue is common with Gigabyte GPUs. I know that a few generations ago some of their GPUs were notable for having fairly loud coil noise.
We bought a Gigacbyte P850M,850w for my sons pc build in May 21, it ran for a day or two, then it sparked and smelt of burning. We returned it to Amazon as faulty, it seems there was a lot of problems with this PSU so I am glad we did. We replaced it with a Corsair RM850x Plus Gold and guess what happened. It ran fine and then smelt of burning quite badly, appreciate new components get this smell but this was above and beyond what I felt was safe for a bedroom pc. So again we replaced this one on Amazon with an Asus Rog Strix 850w gold.

The Asus one has been stable ever since, no burn smell, quiet and does it job. Just thought I'd mention a positive for Asus.

We bought a Gigacbyte P850M,850w for my sons pc build in May 21, it ran for a day or two, then it sparked and smelt of burning. We returned it to Amazon as faulty, it seems there was a lot of problems with this PSU so I am glad we did. We replaced it with a Corsair RM850x Plus Gold and guess what happened. It ran fine and then smelt of burning quite badly, appreciate new components get this smell but this was above and beyond what I felt was safe for a bedroom pc. So again we replaced this one on Amazon with an Asus Rog Strix 850w gold.

The Asus one has been stable ever since, no burn smell, quiet and does it job. Just thought I'd mention a positive for Asus.
Some of these guys including Asus, use others to make/rebrand the PSUs, your Asus I believe is actually made by Seasonic. Your Corsair too ironically might have been a Seasonic unit. They sell under their own name as well. Not sure we can compare this with motherboards where Asus actually does more of its own thing.

Yeah it can go both ways, Corsair unlike Asus in my personal/anectodotal experience has decent post sales service, my few interactions with Asus were pretty terrible on the support side. They make some decent products and are ok with having updated drivers but I felt after sales support was non existent at least when dealing with QC issues at the time on an X550 laptop. To top it off the GPU would intermittently drop clocks drastically due to power limits, I fixed it by editing the GPU bios and backing off the boost clocks slightly and reported it to Asus and they ignored it. Im not saying Corsair products are necessarily better I've had my fair share of QC and other issues, especially with their fans, and their high end RAM is overpriced and doesn't necessarily contain high end RAM chips just paying for RGB. But after sales service was the difference.

Edit NVM: the Corsair RM series is supposedly by CWT, the AX lineup is Seasonic I think.

Last edited:
Some of these guys including Asus, use others to make/rebrand the PSUs, your Asus I believe is actually made by Seasonic. Your Corsair too ironically might have been a Seasonic unit. They sell under their own name as well. Not sure we can compare this with motherboards where Asus actually does more of its own thing.

Yeah it can go both ways, Corsair unlike Asus in my personal/anectodotal experience has decent post sales service, my few interactions with Asus were pretty terrible on the support side. They make some decent products and are ok with having updated drivers but I felt after sales support was non existent at least when dealing with QC issues at the time on an X550 laptop. To top it off the GPU would intermittently drop clocks drastically due to power limits, I fixed it by editing the GPU bios and backing off the boost clocks slightly and reported it to Asus and they ignored it.

Edit NVM: the Corsair RM series is supposedly by CWT, the AX lineup is Seasonic I think.
To be fair I've not experienced any issues with any ASUS motherboard, and I've used a lot of them over the years. They have all lasted right until the end and been hammered, abused and had everything thrown at them. The Issue with the soc voltage imo has become so overblown (pun not intended) by the likes of reddit with the simple fact that 1 bios setting, despite which bios is used, can negate all potential issues.

Out of the millions of boards produced there is only a handful that seem to have had this issue, and like Eric said, the youtubers seem to be using this as click bait for their own gain to a degree. That's not to say Asus are innocent and have not handled the whole affair badly either.

I am weary of Gigabyte quality more so with PSUs, but software they suck no matter the product. Corsair power supplies have been stable and reliable. I have an RM850X modular Power supply for my Son's system and I have an RM1000X for my system and they both are stable reliable PSUs with a great brand name that stands behind them. If you got a bad one with them, it may be just a random bad one. Also sometimes the place you ordered from. Never know what they go through once it leaves the manufacturer.

Asus I still have faith in, but will be a little more careful with and read their fine print disclaimers more carefully. They need to earn the trust of their brand and quality they have been known for. I think the internet blew it up bigger than what it may or may not be. Obviously it was an issue, but just how big, we do not know exactly...

Finally new asus bios non beta is out that seems to fix all the issues. Warranty nonsense removed as well.

Finally new asus bios non beta is out that seems to fix all the issues. Warranty nonsense removed as well.
I did see them speak out and apologize for the mess and original communication and shadyness. That new Bios was sooner than expected. Glad to see the rather fast response and fix.

Getting back to the main topic -- while CPU/GPU/Mainboard topics are fun...

I'll throw a firecracker in the room...

Screens, Keyboards, Mice, Audio...

Any particular favorites there - this is how we interact with the computer, and likely the most important aspect, so it would be fun to discuss particular preferences here.

For gaming - I've got an MSI Optix 27" QHD (2560*1440) curved display - I was a bit hesitant on the curved screen thing, but one does get used to it.

Nice thing is that it's 165Hz refresh and 1ms response time - It doesn't support nVidia G-Sync, but it does support AMD's thing (freesync?)

Works nice with my GE76 Raider and the 3060 is more than enough GPU to keep a 1440P screen fast for the games I play.

Daily driver - I'm still on Mac - Macbook Pro 16 Intel, so at least a dGPU is involved - Radeon Pro 5500M - and I have it driving an Apple 5K studio display.

It was actually the Apple 5K display that drove me to get the MSI screen - 1080 FHD at 27 everything looks too big, whereas 1440 QHD is in the Goldilocks zone...

Great writeup over in Forbes about Lisa Su

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!