What's new

browser redirecting to login screen

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dfurnish

New Around Here
This may have nothing to do with the router but I'm really struggling to work out what is going on.

Occasionally when I start browser I'm redirected to a screen asking for login credentials. If I cancel out of the message it just bounces back. The message is very terse with a heading "Log in" and mentioning my SSID and one of several websites including "itools.info", "capture.apple.com" & "ibook.com". The popup is headed "Authentication Required" and it mentions my router IP and has fields for username and password.

I believe it has something to do with Apple's method for detecting a "Captured Portal". The router is set up with a simple home network secured by WPA2. More details available if required.

It is driving me nuts because it prevents internet access on ipad, iphone and laptop until suddenly, minutes or hours later, it inexplicably fixes itself. I've tried all sorts of things to fix it including rebooting modem, router and devices, checking internet without router (OK) upgrading to latest firmware, resetting wifi settings on router and devices.

I would really appreciate any tips for fixing or troubleshooting. Thanks

This can be caused by either the modem losing its connection to your ISP or the router losing communications with the modem. You should be able to see a 'WAN Connection' event logged in the router syslog.

Easiest thing to try for a first step is to replace the modem-router Ethernet cable. Use a good quality cat5e or cat6 cable.

This may have nothing to do with the router but I'm really struggling to work out what is going on.

Occasionally when I start browser I'm redirected to a screen asking for login credentials. If I cancel out of the message it just bounces back. The message is very terse with a heading "Log in" and mentioning my SSID and one of several websites including "itools.info", "capture.apple.com" & "ibook.com". The popup is headed "Authentication Required" and it mentions my router IP and has fields for username and password.

I believe it has something to do with Apple's method for detecting a "Captured Portal". The router is set up with a simple home network secured by WPA2. More details available if required.

It is driving me nuts because it prevents internet access on ipad, iphone and laptop until suddenly, minutes or hours later, it inexplicably fixes itself. I've tried all sorts of things to fix it including rebooting modem, router and devices, checking internet without router (OK) upgrading to latest firmware, resetting wifi settings on router and devices.

I would really appreciate any tips for fixing or troubleshooting. Thanks

I have started to experience this same exact scenario the last 2 days.

RT-AC87U, Asuswrt-merlin 378.50.

It started yesterday after I rebooted the router. I have an open WiFi network (I live in a house fairly remote!)
Normally, on an iPad I simply select my SSID and away I go.

After a reboot, the iPad will demand that require Authentication and brings me to the login for the GUI. Even after logging in and then Logout from the GUI, no go.

As dfurnish said, after a few attempts and patience, it works....

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior after a reboot?

Google "itools malware"

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!