What's new

Build Me A Network Complex Setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bluelogic

New Around Here
Hello All,

I'm have a interesting setup in my house. I'll post a diagram later. I have ATT Uverse in a two story house. The Uverse Gateway/Router is on the first floor. All the bedrooms are upstairs. Each bedroom has a TV, with one bedroom with a local network. An attic covers all bedrooms. This is what I need to do.

Uverse must run on wire, not wireless. I was thinking of these options but would like to hear opinions.

Cost Low / Labor : Go in the attic and run cable to all five bedrooms. Run all 5 bedroom cables to the first floor and plug right right into the Uverse/Gateway router.

Cost High / Labor Low : Buy a power-line adapter and connect to Uverse/Gateway router. Buy four more one for each TV. Use 802.11G 54MBPS for the computers my connection is only 24MBPS so I shouldn't need to move to 802.11N. I'm not sure if Uverse will support all the TVs on one port. It should through DHCP.

Thanks
Bluelogic

How many ports it the Uverse Router? If it has 5 open ports that would probably be the way to go...but...

I would add a patch panel to help with troubleshooting.
I might buy a relatively inexpensive 8-port gigabit switch and put it after the router. Then from computer to computer you would have plenty of headroom for any network expansion...like adding a media server or using voip.

If the uverse item is a router, then it should be able to handle 255 computers.

I would stay away from the power line adapters. While the speed coming out of the wall is slow, if you set up a media server and your family starts to really make use of it, then the poweline network could become a bottleneck.

Hedly,

AT&T U-Verse IPTV is sent to the set top boxes using IP multicast. U-Verse's implementation of IGMP is IGMP v3. Very few switches, even Enterprise-class ones, implement IGMP v3 snooping.

The U-Verse Router has 4-ports. The biggest problem is that each TV has to be connected directly into the Uverse Router if using Ethernet and not HPNA. This is my setup the home has only two coaxial cable lines. One upstairs where there are five bedrooms and one downstairs in the living room. What I'm thinking of doing is installing a patch panel in one of the closets and running four lines through the attic to each room. Then having AT&T move my U-Verse RG to that room, where I would run four lines from the patch panel to the RG. The Wireless G is fast enough for internet traffic.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks
Bluelogic

I know that this is an older post, but the U-Verse STB's do NOT have to connect directly to the AT&T RG. I have U-Verse service at my home also, and each box connects to a 24 port D-Link DGS-1024D Gigabit switch, with then has 1 port connected to the RG.

Due to lots of painting at my house, and moving my wife in, (newly married), I moved the DVR down to my network rack so that it wouldn't keep getting unplugged while trying to get the work done, and final setup of the house. The only downside to this is lack of pause and rewind of live TV. Just simply hit record, and start watching the recording, and virtually the same thing.

Here is a picture of the network rack that I have at my house.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa93/ZGodzicki/Computers/Operation Home Run/4842d586.jpg