What's new

Can't Login to GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think I figured it out.

I'm in Windows 10 Pro version 2004.

I went to "Settings" then "Network & Internet" then at the bottom of the "Status" page I clicked "Network Reset." Then when the "Network Reset" page open, I clicked "Reset Now." In the notes above the "Reset Now" button it says that your PC will be restarted, but mine did not automatically do that, so I restarted it manually. I then waited while my PC reconnected to my WiFi network (I did nothing with the PC during this time), and then once it was reconnected, I opened my browser and typed "router.asus.com" and the router's GUI appeared.

I use a VPN, so I always have to disable it in order to connect to the router's GUI.

Before I did that "Network Reset" thing, I tried releasing and renewing the ip address, but that did not work reliably.

The next thing I'm going to do is log back into my VPN, and then disconnect from it. Then I'll be able to see if that changes my ip address back to the one that won't let me connect to the router GUI. If so, then I guess I'll need to perform the "Network Reset" whenever I want to access the router GUI.

I just connected to my VPN and then disconnected from it, and then I was still able to access the router's GUI.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
What about excluding your router IP's from that VPN?

I didn't think of that. Great idea! Thanks!

I have NordVPN, and I'm not sure how to exclude my router IP's from it...

Research time!

I think I figured it out.

I'm in Windows 10 Pro version 2004.

I went to "Settings" then "Network & Internet" then at the bottom of the "Status" page I clicked "Network Reset." Then when the "Network Reset" page open, I clicked "Reset Now." In the notes above the "Reset Now" button it says that your PC will be restarted, but mine did not automatically do that, so I restarted it manually. I then waited while my PC reconnected to my WiFi network (I did nothing with the PC during this time), and then once it was reconnected, I opened my browser and typed "router.asus.com" and the router's GUI appeared.

I use a VPN, so I always have to disable it in order to connect to the router's GUI.

Before I did that "Network Reset" thing, I tried releasing and renewing the ip address, but that did not work reliably.

The next thing I'm going to do is log back into my VPN, and then disconnect from it. Then I'll be able to see if that changes my ip address back to the one that won't let me connect to the router GUI. If so, then I guess I'll need to perform the "Network Reset" whenever I want to access the router GUI.

I just connected to my VPN and then disconnected from it, and then I was still able to access the router's GUI.

Hope this helps!
You may be having a different problem than the rest of us. When the GUI disappears on my routers, a lot of other stuff seems to also quit working behind the scenes. While the routers typically still seem to operate, the syslog no longer updates. Who knows what else is also screwed up.

Hello. I keep thinking that these problems are related to hardware. I have an RT-AC66U B1. I've never had a problem with a fading GUI. I have been using it with Merlin for about 2 years now. Through 2 firmware I do a nuclear reset and setup from scratch manually
I use AiProtection,VPN server,
Diversion+Entware+Skynet+ scribe +uiScribe
Now i use Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18. Very stable firmware for me.

This unfortunately seems to be happening to me as well on the AC3100... after a few days, the GUI becomes unresponsive. The first time in, it does ask for a username/password, but then after it times out, and after many retries, it's just a spinning browser. All other functions seem to be working OK, however I do have to agree that it does not seem to reboot automatically on its schedule at times. Good ol' manual reboot fixes it for a short while. This problem was getting so bad, that I just decided to set it to reboot every other day at 3am... sometimes it does, other times it doesn't... and usually when it doesn't, I can't get back into the GUI either. :( I'm going to give that ssh command a try, and see if that works for me (service restart_httpd).

This unfortunately seems to be happening to me as well on the AC3100... after a few days, the GUI becomes unresponsive. The first time in, it does ask for a username/password, but then after it times out, and after many retries, it's just a spinning browser. All other functions seem to be working OK, however I do have to agree that it does not seem to reboot automatically on its schedule at times. Good ol' manual reboot fixes it for a short while. This problem was getting so bad, that I just decided to set it to reboot every other day at 3am... sometimes it does, other times it doesn't... and usually when it doesn't, I can't get back into the GUI either. :( I'm going to give that ssh command a try, and see if that works for me (service restart_httpd).
My experience is when the router locks up SSH doesn’t work either. The only solution is to power cycle the router, which is hard to do when you are not on site.

Hello. I keep thinking that these problems are related to hardware. I have an RT-AC66U B1. I've never had a problem with a fading GUI. I have been using it with Merlin for about 2 years now. Through 2 firmware I do a nuclear reset and setup from scratch manually
I use AiProtection,VPN server,
Diversion+Entware+Skynet+ scribe +uiScribe
Now i use Asuswrt-Merlin 384.18. Very stable firmware for me.
It would be nice if there was a hardware diagnostic available for Asus routers.

My experience is when the router locks up SSH doesn’t work either. The only solution is to power cycle the router, which is hard to do when you are not on site.

My GUI stopped working today, so I logged into SSH -- which did seem to be working just fine -- but, after executing "service restart_httpd", I have not been able to get the GUI to reload. :( After running the command, it did say "done", and it restarted... but nothing is loading at all now. :(

So this is kind of interesting... or it could be a fluke? I just rebooted my router manually... things came back up normally, and CPU starting to calm down. I went under Firewall -> Skynet tab... the page was blank, and wouldn't load. After hitting back, and not getting anything, I tried to reload the main GUI. Getting the same results. It's completely non-responsive again. Could it have something to do with 3rd party pages that are integrating into the main GUI? I am also using ConnMon, which is used on occasion.

My GUI stopped working today, so I logged into SSH -- which did seem to be working just fine -- but, after executing "service restart_httpd", I have not been able to get the GUI to reload. :( After running the command, it did say "done", and it restarted... but nothing is loading at all now. :(
This is similar to what I have observed. If I am lucky enough to be able to login to SSH, and issue a REBOOT command, at least half the time the router does not reboot successfully, and I have to do a power cycle to get it back up.

I've had to leave this firmware due to this bug which I've experienced for more than 6 months on various builds. I flashed back to stock, moved the routing functions to an OPNsense box and I'm using the router as a Wireless AP only. It's a shame, I've enjoyed using this firmware for many years.

Not sure if this is a fluke (yet), but I've been running almost an entire week without the GUI becoming non-functional. Here's what I did: (1) Disabled the scheduled reboot (2) Disabled all the TrendMicro AI Protection components. I wasn't able to find where you can say no to the EULA, and disables everything out of the box, but I'm assuming you would see that after doing a reset? So far, these 2 changes have brought much better stability on this front.

Not sure if this is a fluke (yet), but I've been running almost an entire week without the GUI becoming non-functional. Here's what I did: (1) Disabled the scheduled reboot (2) Disabled all the TrendMicro AI Protection components. I wasn't able to find where you can say no to the EULA, and disables everything out of the box, but I'm assuming you would see that after doing a reset? So far, these 2 changes have brought much better stability on this front.

Well I spoke too soon... again back to the dreaded unable-to-pull-up-the-GUI-page after a good 1.5 weeks. ;( I'm going to have to let the true bug hunters go after this one...

Had another instance of one of my routers (ver 384.18) have the GUI disappear today (10/22/20). Same symptoms as before. Router seemed to be working, except for the inability to access the GUI or SSH. Had to power cycle router to get access to the GUI. Last syslog entry was on 10/14/22). This really needs to get fixed.

I have had the same problem for 10 months. Running RT-AC86U_384.14_0 for 10 months. Wonder if updating to the latest firmware solves the problem?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!