What's new

Can't save router settings - how can I fix?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zorax222

Occasional Visitor
I want to back up my router before upgrading the firmware (current Merlin version 380.68). When I clicked save in Windows 10, it would open the file in Excel. I fixed the registry so that .cfg extensions are no longer associated with Excel or anything else. Now when I click on save, I get a dialog box "How do you want to open this file?" It seems to want me to pick an app from the app store.

I don't want the .cfg files associated with anything so that I can save the router settings file. Any ideas as to how I can solve this problem?

Don't try to open the file, just save it to disk.

I'm not given the option to save to disk - when I click on the "Save" button, I always get the dialog box "How do you want to open this file?" For the time being, I set the file to open in Notepad and then do a save as on the file so the backup is named "update.cfg". I don't know if my save and rename method will even work if I need to restore my settings but it is my temporary workaround.

If I recall correctly, at some point in time with other Merlin firmware updates, when I clicked "Save" a dialog box in Explorer popped up giving me a chance to change the save location and the name of the backup file name. As others don't have this problem with the firmware, something must have changed on my computer (Window 10 Pro) to cause this to happen but I don't know what that may have been nor can I figure out how to fix it or find a workaround method.

I'm not given the option to save to disk - when I click on the "Save" button, I always get the dialog box "How do you want to open this file?" For the time being, I set the file to open in Notepad and then do a save as on the file so the backup is named "update.cfg". I don't know if my save and rename method will even work if I need to restore my settings but it is my temporary workaround.

If I recall correctly, at some point in time with other Merlin firmware updates, when I clicked "Save" a dialog box in Explorer popped up giving me a chance to change the save location and the name of the backup file name. As others don't have this problem with the firmware, something must have changed on my computer (Window 10 Pro) to cause this to happen but I don't know what that may have been nor can I figure out how to fix it or find a workaround method.
Which browser?

Which browser?

Jack - you're a genius! I'm using the latest version of Firefox - I tried both Internet Explorer and the Edge browser and was able to save normally without any problems. Thanks for the suggestion - I just never thought of the browser being the root of the problem.

Do you have any idea as to why the save function doesn't work correctly with the Firefox browser? Is there a setting that can be changed in Firefox so it doesn't do this?

Again - thank you very much!

Jack - you're a genius! I'm using the latest version of Firefox - I tried both Internet Explorer and the Edge browser and was able to save normally without any problems. Thanks for the suggestion - I just never thought of the browser being the root of the problem.

Do you have any idea as to why the save function doesn't work correctly with the Firefox browser? Is there a setting that can be changed in Firefox so it doesn't do this?

Again - thank you very much!
You've more than likely enabled always open rather than saving/presenting a choice. Chrome even allows you to always open certain types. Check FF settings. Failing that, reset FF to defaults, does problem persist?

I checked the applications settings and couldn't find an enabled always setting for that file extension so I reset Firefox to the defaults.

Everything now works with Firefox. Thanks!

I checked the applications settings and couldn't find an enabled always setting for that file extension so I reset Firefox to the defaults.

Everything now works with Firefox. Thanks!
Options --> Applications
Type cfg into the search bar and set "Always ask" or "Safe file" for that file type.
For next time...

I want to back up my router before upgrading the firmware (current Merlin version 380.68). When I clicked save in Windows 10, it would open the file in Excel. I fixed the registry so that .cfg extensions are no longer associated with Excel or anything else. Now when I click on save, I get a dialog box "How do you want to open this file?" It seems to want me to pick an app from the app store.

I don't want the .cfg files associated with anything so that I can save the router settings file. Any ideas as to how I can solve this problem?

Please know the difference between save and back up. Just back up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!