1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Change used computer unique numbers

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by KW., May 29, 2020.

1. KW.

KW. Regular Contributor

I have a used Dell laptop and wonder if its possible to make that laptop to change everything. Mac adress i know you can change. But is it possible to change every other identifier on the computer that existed before I got it?

And is it enough to just do format on the drives and windows restore?

EDIT: I understand its identifiers on the hardware, but its on software my question is about:)

2. degrub

degrub Very Senior Member

Nope. Not everything.
    Are you trying to hide your activity or the previous owner ?
    Bottom line , it can be traced back to you.

KW. likes this.
  3. KW.

KW. Regular Contributor

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  4. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

In terms of user software you could completely wipe the hard disk, including any hidden partitions like the ESP, recovery or OEM. That would be equivalent to installing a brand new disk.

But the hardware characteristics remain the same. You might be able to spoof a MAC address in software but the real MAC address is still there. In the BIOS/UEFI there are ACPI tables that allow the PC to be uniquely identified. This is how OEMs store the Windows licence key nowadays so that you don't need to read a product key off a sticker.

KW. likes this.
  5. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

MAC addresses are like serial numbers, they are embedded into the hardware. The best you can do is have the software ignore it and use a different MAC when configuring the network, but that won't replace the hardware-burned MAC, and reinstalling the operating system will restore the original MAC.

KW. likes this.