What's new

Channel setup/wifi issues :(

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

compile

New Around Here
I just recently tried cleaning up my small network cabinet that I have in my house. I ended up having to buy a new router (Asus RT-N66U) as my E4200 broke (my daughter thought it was funny to stomp on it).

Here is my equipment:
Rogers Hitron gateway (have it set on bridge mode only as the wireless sucks on it).
Trendnet 8 gigaport switch.
Asus RT-N66U running Shibby Tomato.
I also have a Synology NAS but that is connected to the router.

I'm having WiFi issues. When connected via wired I have absolutely no issues at all. When connecting via WiFi my download/upload speed is almost non-existent and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I've used InSSIDer to try to figure out the problem, but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I've attached a picture of InSSIDer's scan/info, if someone is willing to help me pick the best channel possible I'd greatly appreciate it. I had a channel selected with the E4200 and it worked perfectly, but unfortunately I don't remember what I did.

I'm currently running 40mhz, chan 1 on 2.4Ghz and chan 153 40mhz on 5Ghz (which I have no issues with, but I only have 1 device that is 3 stream and that is my laptop (Intel Centrino 6300 wireless card)).

Could someone help me figure out what to do to fix this? :(
My networks are called Internet, and Internet-5G.

Attachments

• networkj.jpg
    networkj.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 486
This is kind of a stab in the dark but have you tried 20 MHz channel width on the 2.4 GHz band? It's sounding like this is due to interference and the RT-N66U should operate properly and switch back to 20 MHz when it encounters neighbouring networks (see here) but that's with the factory firmware - perhaps Shibby Tomato does not implement this properly.

I've done a lot of speed tests with my RT-N66U and 2.4 GHz 40 MHz tests lower than 2.4 GHz 20 MHz for me. I attributed this to interference from a neighbouring network. Tim's tests showed it should have switched over to 20 MHz anyway but I still got a noticeable speed drop (not huge like yours though).

Definitely don't do 40 MHz but in that utter mess, 2.4 GHz will be slow no matter what. I suggest buying dual-band client adapters :) They're dirt cheap on ebay (gently used).

Definitely don't do 40 MHz but in that utter mess, 2.4 GHz will be slow no matter what. I suggest buying dual-band client adapters :) They're dirt cheap on ebay (gently used).
Not necessarily true. You can have 100 nearby SSIDs detected. What matters is if you use a channel +/- 3 of an SSID that has a lot of busy traffic, heavy use.

Lay terms: SSID are like party line phone numbers of old. Depends on if you have a chatty household near the same channel you're on. Most people don't do heavy streaming on their WiFi. There are tools you can run for a day or two to see if you have an issue, and if so, just change channels (remembering to stay 3 channel numbers away from Mr. Chatty, because WiFi channel centers on are 5MHz, but the signal is 20Mhz wide).

Not necessarily true. You can have 100 nearby SSIDs detected. What matters is if you use a channel +/- 3 of an SSID that has a lot of busy traffic, heavy use.

Lay terms: SSID are like party line phone numbers of old. Depends on if you have a chatty household near the same channel you're on. Most people don't do heavy streaming on their WiFi. There are tools you can run for a day or two to see if you have an issue, and if so, just change channels (remembering to stay 3 channel numbers away from Mr. Chatty, because WiFi channel centers on are 5MHz, but the signal is 20Mhz wide).

True, but without a spectrum analyzer one can take a reasonable guess that 2.4GHz is probably a mess.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!