What's new

DFS radar channel choice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rylo

New Around Here
I been using channel 132 which is radar sensitive, channel 100-116 is radar sensitive passive.

Which one do I want to be using? Sensitive only or sensitive passive?

Attachments

• IMG_8961.jpeg
    IMG_8961.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 29
I been using channel 132 which is radar sensitive, channel 100-116 is radar sensitive passive.

You are misunderstanding the meaning of passive. Use whatever channel works best for you.

Passive means the router can only passively monitor those channels for activity and interference, as required by regulations. The same doesn't apply to channels 132 to 144 because you're currently using them. If you were to change to channel 100/80 then channels 132 to 144 would start to become passively monitored.

Last edited:

Let the router choose. Setting a fixed channel , especially in the DFS range, can lead to an unhappy experience. Others may disagree but for me auto channel with auto bandwidth (20-40-80-160 MHz in my case) works best.

Let the router choose. Setting a fixed channel , especially in the DFS range, can lead to an unhappy experience. Others may disagree but for me auto channel with auto bandwidth (20-40-80-160 MHz in my case) works best.
Even if one configures A DFS channel manually or a width that requires the use of one, the router sill scans for RADAR and will change channel if detected. The use of DFS effectively changes your channel selection to Auto with a selected starting channel.

Even if one configures A DFS channel manually or a width that requires the use of one, the router sill scans for RADAR and will change channel if detected. The use of DFS effectively changes your channel selection to Auto with a selected starting channel.

With the added bonus of random outages if radar is detected.....