What's new

Cheap Wireless Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ElArZ

New Around Here
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase an affordable/cheap wireless router to share my internet.
I've been searching for some time and narrowed my choices.
But i need some help:
I can't decide whether to buy a WRT54G2, WRT54GL, DLink DIR-615 or a TRENDnet TEW-652BRP or some other similar product i missed.

I know that the advantage that the GL has over the others is the ability to use third-party firmwares which add a lot of features. But what would the third-party firmwares' advantage be in a small home network that's gonna be used primarily for internet with a max of 2 laptops (one is running vista) connecting wirelessly and 1 wired desktop?

I actually like the GL and the ability to customize it, but the G2 is better looking with a faster cpu and the D-Link and TRENDnet both support 802.11n.

So can someone tell me which way to go? Customizable? New? Fast?

Thank you.

P.S.: I want to be able to connect from 12-15m (40-50ft) away and a concrete wall in between.

My favorite inexpensive wireless router for simple wireless G internet connection sharing has been the Netgear WGR614. These can be bought for about $40 retail at places like Wal Mart etc. I have about four of them in use in various capacities and they all seem to work well.

There are many different versions of this router but the ones I have are the V7, V8 and V9's. I have two V8's running 3rd party firmware(DD-WRT). The V7 is set up at a friend's house and it works well to pass a wireless signal through one wall of his house, across a short distance of yard and then through a wall of his metal shop building. He's pleased.

Thank you very much.

I actually decided to just go ahead and upgrade all of my PC and get one of the new CPUs with a new board that supports GB Lan and so i decided to go with the WRT320N instead.