What's new

China Great Fire Wall - Asus Router VPN suddenly stopped working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Brian12392

New Around Here
Hi, I am in China, mainland, here because of the GFW, chinese government censorship, i had to find a way to bypass GFW, so

I have been using ASUS router with Merlin firmware instlled, which enabled me to watch Netflix in mainland China, and Youtube, i like it because i can watch Netflix on my Big screen Android TV and YOUTUBE with Roku connected to TV,
But from 2 days ago, just when the Corona virus situation is going worse, connections to outside world seems to be Cut, because i couldm't connect to Netflix, Youtube, or facebook, etc by using the Ausu Merlin firmware,

Anyone has any idea or solution?

Hi, I am in China, mainland, here because of the GFW, chinese government censorship, i had to find a way to bypass GFW, so

I have been using ASUS router with Merlin firmware instlled, which enabled me to watch Netflix in mainland China, and Youtube, i like it because i can watch Netflix on my Big screen Android TV and YOUTUBE with Roku connected to TV,
But from 2 days ago, just when the Corona virus situation is going worse, connections to outside world seems to be Cut, because i couldm't connect to Netflix, Youtube, or facebook, etc by using the Ausu Merlin firmware,

Anyone has any idea or solution?

Any solution to bypass GFWC is temporary. Usually after some time the GFWC detects the tunnel. You may wish to share more information regarding your tunnel as now it is not clear where is the Asus router, who is the client device, who is the server device, what type of VPN is used, etc.

1. Who is the server device? For example: private server running on Asus router under your control located outside of China, i.e. at your home or friend's home. Or commecial VPN server located outside of China you subscribed for.
2. Who is the client device? For example: your Asus router in China or your end user device (PC, laptop, tablet, smartphone)
3. What type of VPN - OpenVPN, PPTP, IPSec, etc.

You may also do some googling on the subject "how to bypass GFWC". You will find a lot of information how the GFWC works.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!