What's new

Chinese Ac86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zack1uk

New Around Here
Hi
My current TPLink Archer D7 has served me reasonably well. However, it does suffer from occasional need for a reboot (made worse by Plex it seems). I’m shortly going overseas for up to 6 weeks so need something a little more reliable.

First I looked at the AC68u as that fitted most of my needs (Plex, torrents, lots of WiFi clients), but then spotted an AC86u on gearbest for a very good price. I don’t really need incoming VPN or USB file sharing, but would probably use it if the router made it easy and did it effectively.

However, I’ve read a lot about 5 gHz channel issues with the Chinese sourced unit. Some say, just change say the region to get the channels back, some say update firmware, some say Both ASUS & Merlin firmwares are locked, some say it does work but reverts to default on reboot. I’m guessing each of these refer to different firmware versions.

What is the current situation please? Am I wasting my money buying a Chinese router to use in the UK.

I’m happy updating firmware, but not to comfortable with boot loaders, and manually editing hex or config files.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi
My current TPLink Archer D7 has served me reasonably well. However, it does suffer from occasional need for a reboot (made worse by Plex it seems). I’m shortly going overseas for up to 6 weeks so need something a little more reliable.

First I looked at the AC68u as that fitted most of my needs (Plex, torrents, lots of WiFi clients), but then spotted an AC86u on gearbest for a very good price. I don’t really need incoming VPN or USB file sharing, but would probably use it if the router made it easy and did it effectively.

However, I’ve read a lot about 5 gHz channel issues with the Chinese sourced unit. Some say, just change say the region to get the channels back, some say update firmware, some say Both ASUS & Merlin firmwares are locked, some say it does work but reverts to default on reboot. I’m guessing each of these refer to different firmware versions.

What is the current situation please? Am I wasting my money buying a Chinese router to use in the UK.

I’m happy updating firmware, but not to comfortable with boot loaders, and manually editing hex or config files.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I'm not sure what your concern is. I have 2 RT-68Us (2016, 2018), 2 RT-86Us (2018), and a Linksys E3000 (2010)... all made in China. I have some more old routers in a box in the garage... they are probably made in China, too. I'd get the 86U... incidentally, it is said to have hardware encryption for strong VPN performance in case you need remote access. If you get two, you can use them in an AiMesh when you get back home.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/483710/rt-ac86u_ac2900_dual-band_wireless_gigabit_router

OE

Last edited:
I'd just pay the regular Amazon price (not the overinflated prices). And a few weeks ago, Amazon was selling the AC86U at the same price as GearBest.

I'm not sure what your concern is. I have 2 RT-68Us (2016, 2018), 2 RT-86Us (2018), and a Linksys E3000 (2010)... all made in China. I have some more old routers in a box in the garage... they are probably made in China, too. I'd get the 86U.

OE

Gearbest is selling the China-distributed units.

Gearbest is selling the China-distributed units.

I guess I don't understand the difference. My made in China routers have come from Amazon and Micro Center... maybe even Newegg.

OE

I guess I don't understand the difference. My made in China routers have come from Amazon and Micro Center... maybe even Newegg.

OE
It’s not that they are made in China, but they are set up for Chinese use, some say it’s locked down, some say it isn’t. Some say firmware fixes it, some say it doesn’t.

I'd just pay the regular Amazon price (not the overinflated prices). And a few weeks ago, Amazon was selling the AC86U at the same price as GearBest.
Amazon do indeed have them at a good price, but considering I was originally looking at 68u’s from eBay, the amazon price is more than double where I started from.

For amazon price I could get two 2nd hand 68u and mesh the whole house. Just me and the better half using devices (albeit quite a few, but not all at the same time), so that might be a better option than a single 86u.

It’s not that they are made in China, but they are set up for Chinese use, some say it’s locked down, some say it isn’t. Some say firmware fixes it, some say it doesn’t.

I understand now.

I guess if you can't be sure, just pay up for a known build that is suited for your region.

Me, I would avoid a vendor that may be selling an uncertain mis-application, no matter the deal.

OE

Amazon do indeed have them at a good price, but considering I was originally looking at 68u’s from eBay, the amazon price is more than double where I started from.

For amazon price I could get two 2nd hand 68u and mesh the whole house. Just me and the better half using devices (albeit quite a few, but not all at the same time), so that might be a better option than a single 86u.

Know that the 68U does not support Smart Connect, which is a big piece of the mesh puzzle, imo. Having tried AiMesh with 68Us and now using 86Us... and trusting ASUS will iron out the wrinkles... I'd consider the 86U over the 68U... the 86U has more processing power and memory and just about 20% better WiFi coverage.

OE

Know that the 68U does not support Smart Connect, which is a big piece of the mesh puzzle, imo. Having tried AiMesh with 68Us and now using 86Us... and trusting ASUS will iron out the wrinkles... I'd consider the 86U over the 68U... the 86U has more processing power and memory and just about 20% better WiFi coverage.

OE
Ok thanks, sounds like the 86u is a more sensible choice. Mesh isn’t a must have for me as I could relegate the archer as an access point via powerline to cover the weak areas and garden. I’ve been doing this for the past few years with the archer and an old Billion router fairly satisfactorily

The AC86U is definitely a better device. It has noticeably better 5 GHz range, and as other's have said VPN is better than anything that ASUS makes at this time.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!