What's new

Choosing a gigabit WAN/LAN wireless router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vla

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm looking for a new device to replace my trusty WRT54GS.

The requirements are as simple as the following:
1) Gigabit WAN and LAN ports (with good LAN<->WAN throughput)
2) 802.11n wireless

I'd stay with Linksys which devices I like, however seems like their performance is not that good compared to competitors, so have to look for another alternative.

After initial filtering I stopped with the following models which are present on the local market:
  • TRENDnet TEW-633GR
  • TRENDnet TEW-639GR
  • TRENDnet TEW-672GR
  • NetGear WNR3500

Now I have some questions regarding the above models.

1) What is the difference between the TRENDnet models? What is better and why? (I managed to find only minor differences, though I believe there should be some more serious things)
2) Is there any information available on the performance of these devices? (I managed to find only 633GR in SNB reviews and charts)
3) Came across the page with NetGear WNDR3700. It is specifically mentioned that the device boasts a "super-speedy" processor. From here is my next question: what processor does WNR3500 use and what the difference in performance of these two boxes is expected to be? And any information about general performance of the new device is also welcome.
And is there any sense to wait till the device is available?
4) Came across the review of WNR854T, the predecessor of WNR3500, which, compared to 633GR performs rather poor. Any information about the performance difference between WNR854T and WNR3500 is welcome as well.
5) Any sense to wait for final 802.11n devices? When do they start to sell the devices with finalized specs? And are there any chances to update the latest draft devices to the final revision by a firmware update?

Some subjective thoughts:
Liked WNR3500 veeery much (of course because of the design). If WNDR3700 is not something completely different in terms of performance, I'd choose this model (if the overall performance is still fine compared to other devices above).

I would be grateful to know your opinions about all of the above.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
From what I've read here, seems like the WNR3500 is a cut down version of WNR854T. That most probably means that it cannot perform better than WNR854T. And this in its turn means that it performs worse than mentioned TRENDnet devices (at least 633GR which for sure performs better than 854T). I'm a bit upset with this fact... :(

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!