What's new

Cisco Linksys E4200 Maximum Performance Wireless-N Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

My E3000 which I got back in May ran pretty dang warm, so warm in fact that I propped it up with some grommets to give the thing some more breathing room on the bottom. However, recently it started to loose connection to all my network devices and wireless during loads, though nothing that stressfull. I relented myself that it was dying despite my best efforts. Thankfully for Costco, I was able to exchange it for a Netgear 3800 which I hated for many reasons. Got my money back and picked up E4200 at Walmart for $160.

In an effort to hopefully prevent another slow cooking unit, i've propped it up as well. I hope this unit last longer, ive already complained to Linksys their routers need better passive cooling

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m1/Phantron/4200prop.jpg

Costco E4200V1 for $139 is where I got mine from after getting rid of the Belkin N750DB for $89 at Costco. My E4200V1 is a work horse here along with it's matching two RE1000V1 might have to get a 3rd one? I offload the switching on the E4200V1 with the Cisco two switches mention in my sig below. What Cisco needs to do is add a 12dcV fan with a heat sensor. I have central air on 24/7 around the clock here so E4200V1 keeps at 78 off summer months and 75 doing the summer.

Came across it and didn't see it mentioned yet. New official firmware released for the E4200V1 which fixes the WPS issue.

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/E4200

Release Notes:
Last Firmware version: 1.0.04 (build 11)

- Added Enabled/Disabled feature for Wi-Fi Protected Setup in the web configuration
- Added WPS lockdown feature
- Fixed Linux kernel IPv6 fragment identification remote Denial-of-Service vulnerability
- Fixed Router cannot get a WAN IP address form some ISP
- Fixed Internet Access Policy issue when disabling Parental Control
- Fixed some minor bugs

Of course, those running Tomato/DD-WRT probably don't care ;)

I had bought this router new (It was the E4200v1 new in sealed box but with the 1.0.04 (build 11) firmware. Portuguese dealers never had the v2 in stocks) and must say that is a great upgrade from my 4 years old D-Link DSL-2740B REV C2 with the EU_3.03 Firmware. The reason for the upgrade was an electric spike created by a thunder that stuck near my house (It has burned 1000M of aerial telephone cable plus all the appliances that were connected to the telephone line in the neighbourhood).

It was a great router, never had let me down but was almost time to change for a better thing.

My configuration actually was a Speedtouch 510v6 DSL Modem (I’m waiting for a Draytek Vigor 120) connected to the E4200 and I’m very happy with my actual configuration.

At the moment I have an Xbox 360, plus a Notebook with Win7 x64, an Mac Pro and a Huawei UAP 2105 Fentocell for 3G network at my home all wired. As wireless I have a MacBook Pro, an IPAD an Iphone 4S and another Notebook with Win7 x64. My xDSL connection is a 14M/1M.

Last edited:
My E4200V1 just failed on me not even 8 months and disconnections notifications go on day. Well I use female alert system here. I can't get good testing readings when programming in Android for Max WiFi Throughput I've been working on that for a few months now. But since the E4200V1 started up and it's so hot to the touch also. I've just purchased the EA4500 seems to be more stable and the faster CPU and double the RAM is a plus.

My E4200V1 just failed on me not even 8 months and disconnections notifications go on day.

AC adapter? Router itself is probably still good...

Well I use female alert system here.

Same here, wife is pretty good about letting me know when the network goes offline :D

AC adapter? Router itself is probably still good...

Same here, wife is pretty good about letting me know when the network goes offline :D

No it's the Router not the AC adapter. I do have a few other brands but they didn't hold out too long before pushing them. Anyway the new one seems to be quick. I use the network for programming and access data and updating it. So it gets a good work out.

... And my E4200v1 failed on me. That was fast, I must say. No lights. The AC adapter is OK, I checked with a DMM and have the 12VDC in the end of the AC Adapter.

Now I must think really if I keep with the E4200 but this time the V2 version or go directly to the Netgear N900 WNDR4500.

Get the EA4500

When it hit your shores you'll be a happy network person. Still my IIS Web Server runs much better even faster than the old E4200. Goes you show you Cisco got it right with this model. ;)

My ISP speed is 300 then i connect pc.

Download Speed: 299.22 mbps (37.4 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 267.63 mbps (33.5 MB/sec transfer rate)

Then connect E4200 With 1.0.00 firmware speed is ~200

Then firmware is 1.0.04 speed only 100

Download Speed: 103.43 mbps (12.9 MB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 101.88 mbps (12.7 MB/sec transfer rate)

1.where is problem?

Tray change MTU.
Tray some cabels.
Tray all ports.

but nothing.

Today I tested WAN to LAN speed.
all Linksys E4200V1 firmware.
1.0.00 speed ~200
1.0.01 speed ~200
1.0.02 speed ~100
1.0.03 speed ~100
1.0.04 speed ~100

After all firmware I make Hard Reset.
With all cabals I have Speed 300 From ISP.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2038763939.png

Something bed with router.
That do next me. how get full speed?

Interesting

Try different cat cable and see if the problem still persists... I use Cat7 cable personally your router should be perfectly capable of 1GBPS networking so it is likely due to either your cabling or your provider which is giving you issues ...

Side Note to rest of board:
I own 2 Version 1 E4200's and 1 Version 2 E4200 there is not a spot in my home that I do not get full signal... I am curious about putting DDWRT on one of these units but I do not want to spoil the good signal I am currently getting with very little hiccups. I would however love to do it providing it does not hinder performance at all cause I need to block my guests from illegal downloading nothing like getting a letter in the mail cause a friend or family member wants to download some random song it's happened to me before and it was quite a hassle nothing I want to deal with again....

The things that get me the most is these dang phone apps that allow you to download music it is tough to stop this from happening does anyone know of a good way to stop these MP3 download apps from the phones on your network I got a majority of P2P blocked with alternate DNS but still there are songs that sneak through... Of course this is not the best way to block but it does prevent most of the population from being able or willing to try and skirt there way around it. I appreciate the suggestions in advance.

Hey guys,

Just grabbed the e4200 v1 for super cheap.

I noticed that there is now a firmware upgrade that takes care of the WPS security issue. My question is if I should disable WPS on my router or not? Will I still have security measures in place if I do disable it?

Thanks!

I noticed that there is now a firmware upgrade that takes care of the WPS security issue. My question is if I should disable WPS on my router or not? Will I still have security measures in place if I do disable it?
WPS just provides an easy way to set up wireless security. If you can do / have done it manually, there is no need for WPS.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!