What's new

Cleaning up the wiki

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tnx for the feedback in pm guys, keep on sending improvements ill happily add em :D as long as they are valid

I am on my second cup of coffee of the morning and did a quick look. It looks good to me. The only suggestion I have is to change the title of Tor and Country Block to Tor, Country Block and Microsoft Telemetry, since the script also includes the MS telemetry feature. Hope to that @redhat27 will add a version number comment line to create ip set.lists script on the update. :). I will look at it some more later today. Thanks again for your contributions!

Hello @Xentrk Now that all the scripts are in a git repository, its easy to see the history and the comments should give an idea what changed since the last revision
Thank you. With three routers to keep updated, I was going to write a script to check for a new version and update the script if there is one. If you were to include a version number in the code, I was going to use the version number inside the code located at https://raw.githubusercontent.com/shounak-de/iblocklist-loader/master/create-ipset-lists.sh to parse out and compare against the current one installed on the router. I will need to rethink the technique. Perhaps I will need to parse out all of the commit dates on this site:

https://github.com/shounak-de/iblocklist-loader/commits/master/create-ipset-lists.sh

Save them all to a file, sort the file, determine which one is the most recent date and compare against the last commit date I saved last time the script was downloaded. Then, if there is a difference, copy the updated code.

It would be even easier now: git client is part of entware-ng. Just install git with opkg install git. Then you can use the git commands to pull the updated code. If you are unfamiliar with using git, there are plenty of tutorials on the net to get you going.

However, I do not see the need to keep your router scripts updated with every change that is pushed out in git: Just update when something doesn't work right or a change is made based on the request that you/others made on the support forums. You know the saying: Don't fix it if it ain't broke ;)

It would be even easier now: git client is part of entware-ng. Just install git with opkg install git. Then you can use the git commands to pull the updated code. If you are unfamiliar with using git, there are plenty of tutorials on the net to get you going.

However, I do not see the need to keep your router scripts updated with every change that is pushed out in git: Just update when something doesn't work right or a change is made based on the request that you/others made on the support forums. You know the saying: Don't fix it if it ain't broke ;)
Thanks @redhat27. I wanted to expand my scripting skills which is another reason for writing the update script. I will look on the web for info on the git entware package. Looks promising.

Go for it, as long it stays within the basic style I've put in place for the wiki in general.

For DDNS, what would be best is probably to put an index at the top of it, with hyperlinks to specific services within the page. Otherwise, it would need to be split into separate articles within a new global section - since some of these barely have a few lines of text, that might be a bit of overkill.

It seems like AsciiDoc is the only format to support automatic TOCs on the github wiki, I've converted the markup using pandoc and fixed it up a little. The examples really need to be more consistent though, they're getting the IP from all over the place, wget, nvram, one is even writing it to a text file for some reason...

different skillsets when it comes to scripting i dont mess with others scripts.

also tnx for doing the stuff i was supposed to do been kinda under the weather with the flu so big tnx :)

I propose we remove the "Supports other platforms" column:
  • The table is quite narrow, it will give the description column some room
  • The column implies that it is in someways "bad" (may be confusing to new users)
  • Among the new scripts, the tor and country is the only one that queries nvram to check if IPv6 firewall is enabled. If a script is enabling IPv6 firewall (i.e. using ipsets with IPv6 it should only apply ip6table rules after checking whether IPv6 firewall is enabled on the UI (nvram ipv6_fw_enable)
I hope you see why I feel that "Supports other platforms" column is unnecessary and misleading

Last edited:
Thanks, I just removed the column. Actually it may be a good idea in the privacy filter script to check for whether the IPv6 firewall is enabled in the UI before you add the ip6tables rule in there.

it does, but i dont wanna use nvram since nvram is not present in all distroes.

dont want to be locked down to asuswrt if i decide to move on.

well if the user hasnt thier firewall for ipv6 configured then they got bigger problems then my script :)

So we can use that image to relay that in the installation instructions then..

again i dont want to use nvram parameters cause other distroes might not support that

in anycase this is pretty much offtopic

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!