What's new

Client mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

calee4nyaboy

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC1900P that DD-WRT says it's compatible with (I'm still on stock Asus though). I have an application that I must use Client mode on and DD has always supported that. But I would rather use this Merlin firmware but for some reason Client mode is not supported. It looks like Merlin only supports client bridge instead.

Based on DD's router database, this Asus has a broadcom chip in it. Why doesn't this Merlin firmware support client mode but DD does? I have seen many other users in this forum needing client mode but cannot use it. Such a bummer.

Merlin's firmware is still mostly based on (and restricted by) Asus' core design. So you should probably be asking Asus that question.

No, actually this is the perfect place to ask it. Why? Because there have been many upgrades and improvements to the Asus firmware with this Merlin branch. It is the entire reason that the Merlin firmware exists. That's exactly why I'm not asking Asus!

My firmware is based on the Asus one. Everything related to wifi is closed source, and outside of my control.

My firmware is based on the Asus one. Everything related to wifi is closed source, and outside of my control.

Thank you, that answers my question perfectly, unlike the previous poster. Thank you for your effort with this firmware. It looks like it won't work for me at the moment but I will definitely keep it in mind down the road for other applications.

Client mode is not supported. It looks like Merlin only supports client bridge instead.
I always found dd-wrt to have confusing nomenclature here (client, client bridge, repeater, repeater bridge). Depends on the model. Some have media bridge, some only repeater.

I may still be able to use Merlin if I can figure out how to separate the two networks. I can use Media Bridge to wirelessly connect my Asus to the main access point. But then I need the wired ports coming out of my Asus to be on a different subnet. Is there a way to do that? Maybe somehow using VLAN? I have never used VLAN so I am not sure.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!