1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

Client mode

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by calee4nyaboy, Nov 22, 2019.

1. calee4nyaboy

calee4nyaboy New Around Here

I have an RT-AC1900P that DD-WRT says it's compatible with (I'm still on stock Asus though). I have an application that I must use Client mode on and DD has always supported that. But I would rather use this Merlin firmware but for some reason Client mode is not supported. It looks like Merlin only supports client bridge instead.

Based on DD's router database, this Asus has a broadcom chip in it. Why doesn't this Merlin firmware support client mode but DD does? I have seen many other users in this forum needing client mode but cannot use it. Such a bummer.

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

Merlin's firmware is still mostly based on (and restricted by) Asus' core design. So you should probably be asking Asus that question.

3. calee4nyaboy

No, actually this is the perfect place to ask it. Why? Because there have been many upgrades and improvements to the Asus firmware with this Merlin branch. It is the entire reason that the Merlin firmware exists. That's exactly why I'm not asking Asus!

4. RMerlin

RMerlin Super Moderator

My firmware is based on the Asus one. Everything related to wifi is closed source, and outside of my control.

5. calee4nyaboy

Thank you, that answers my question perfectly, unlike the previous poster. Thank you for your effort with this firmware. It looks like it won't work for me at the moment but I will definitely keep it in mind down the road for other applications.

6. elorimer

elorimer Very Senior Member

I always found dd-wrt to have confusing nomenclature here (client, client bridge, repeater, repeater bridge). Depends on the model. Some have media bridge, some only repeater.

7. calee4nyaboy

I may still be able to use Merlin if I can figure out how to separate the two networks. I can use Media Bridge to wirelessly connect my Asus to the main access point. But then I need the wired ports coming out of my Asus to be on a different subnet. Is there a way to do that? Maybe somehow using VLAN? I have never used VLAN so I am not sure.