What's new

Complete network upgrade...would love some advice!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

porthacking

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,

So after many years away from building computers and networks I am starting anew: building a new computer, brand new network, and a savings-killer stereo. I'd love some advice.

The general plan...

Internet --> Wired Router --> 8 port switch (with VLANs setup).

8-port switch:
1) Internet in
2) My computer
3) Other computer/spare
4) Print Server
5) Linn DS (network stereo)
6) WAP
7) [RAID?] Backup (NAS)
8) Spare

As yet, I don't have any specific routers or switches in mind, but I have a few things I'd like.
1) Preferably metal cases
2) High quality (e.g. Netgear Prosafe???)
3) Ports preferably on the back (can be swayed on this though) as the equipment will be sitting on top of my desk and I'd prefer all the cabling to run down the back rather than having to bend them back over the top of the switch and then back down the back of the desk. The Modem, router, and switch will be close or stacked on each other (not in a rack though)
4) Jumbo frame support
5) VLAN support
6) Don't want a throughput bottleneck.
7) "cool" running, preferably without fans.

Suggestions for Router and Switch???

---

Next question...

I will be moving in 6-12 months (back into shared accommodation for a year or so). My network will remain exactly the same, however the internet will have a wireless component and I will need extra security.

Internet --> Wireless Router downstairs --> My network (upstairs in my office).

How should I connect to the net? Downstairs wireless router --> WAP in my office --> wired router --> switch etc (as above)? Note that the switch will still have its own WAP for running my stereo from my iPhone. I don't want this WAP to be internet in (preferably)

OR should I replace my router with a wireless router so it would then be downstairs wireless router --> new wireless router in my office --> switch?

I don't really like wireless routers and would like to keep them as far from my office network as possible.

Also, should I use a hardware firewall? Could I put one somewhere between the downstairs wireless router ('public') and the WAP/Wireless Router in my office? Or would I put it between the router and switch? etc etc. Not sure on this point?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

my suggestions

Netgear WNDR3700 router
Netgear GS108t switch
Netgear readynas for all your backup solution and music storage
Logitech squeezebox connected to to the network and controled via ipeng on your iphone for music solution.

sounds a bit like my setup that :D , i would suggest one of the faster nas boxes the NVX or the newer ultra for the music database as i currently use the Duo and find it lacks horsepower.

i seem to be going netgear mad these days :p

no need for a print server just buy one of the new epson printers
px710 with an ethernet port, just plug it in fix the IP via the router and you can print from any machine on the network.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me! I like the look of the Netgear stuff as well. I was leaning to that router and that switch too. Are they front or back ports though? Perhaps I missed it on the Netgear page.

I was going to get a Squeazebox but am going the full hog for a Linn DS instead.

I thought I might build a NAS....not sure....I have to make the main computer first and it was going to be Core i7, 8gig RAM, 64 bit windows, etc etc, x5 1-1.5 TB HDDs. I have about 800gig of music (flak) and growing, and am also putting my entire DVD library on there as well. Then there is the scratch drive, OS drive etc.....Probably want a RAID system to backup (not sure which array yet), but this will be $$$. I guess that is the price of getting all of the CDs and DVDs out of the living room though. Starting to take up too much room.

Thought about new printer, but just got a nice Brother Laser. Seems a waste...

the switch is front patched fella :D

one thing to consider building the NAS is power usage that was my main concern anyway and these off the shelf system seem to take that into account.

if the sky is the limit on your budget the the linn box is a pretty bit of kit but i think your not going to gain anything in the sound quality over the squeezebox especialy if you are using Flac

as an amp i use and onkyo 876 which i am very happy with connected via coax to the squeezebox.

can you shoehorn a jetdirect card in that brother printer ????

Last edited:
Do you know any similarly spec'ed back pannelled switches? I usually prefer front, but this will have to sit on my desk, and the cabling just gets in the way.

I have heard the Linn and Squeazebox side by side. The Linn wins. My bank account would have preferred the Squeazebox to win. I'm a professional musician so the best sound quality I can get is very important to me. I have been saving for this, so why not, Santa is giving me a 10 year advance on presents.

Not sure about the jetdirect card. I'll check! Thanks!

So I'm going to go with the Netgear GS110TP Switch. I'll work around the front patching.

Not sure about the Router though. I wont need wireless. I might be adding a WAP to the switch at a later point though to control the Linn. Can you get good non-wireless routers? Everything seems to have a wireless component. Can you just turn the Wireless off?

So I'm going to go with the Netgear GS110TP Switch. I'll work around the front patching.

Not sure about the Router though. I wont need wireless. I might be adding a WAP to the switch at a later point though to control the Linn. Can you get good non-wireless routers? Everything seems to have a wireless component. Can you just turn the Wireless off?

good choice there fella :D

If you're in the market to spend $$ on the Netgear GS110TP switch, consider a good router. I recommend the Zyxel USG100/200. Zyxel is releasing a USG50 next month, but they haven't yet released specs.

Netgear has a few wired routers, and some are pretty good, but I prefer the Zyxel units for their firmware and phone support.

Only want the good stuff. I am sick to death of cheap and nasty rubbish (i.e. Apple Airport Express and their hopeless crappy power supply and cheap internals!).

So, which NEtgear wired routers should I look at? I have tried to navigate their site but I can never find what I Want.

I'll look at Zyxel stuff tonight. Any Zyxel Switch recommendations?

Also, where is good to buy this stuff online? Needs to be able to ship to Australia though? EVen if it doesn't I have plenty of family and friends in the US who can ship to me.

Do you need SFP's? Do you really ever expect to use them? For a lot less cash, You can get the Netgear GS108T-200 which has PoE support. Or if you don't need PoE, GS108T (as originally recommended) or my personal fav, HP 1810G-8.

Last edited:
Do you need SFP's? Do you really ever expect to use them? For a lot less cash, You can get the Netgear GS108T-200 which has PoE support. Or if you don't need PoE, GS108T (as originally recommended) or my personal fav, HP 1810G-8.

+1 on the HP 1810G-8 these really are rock solid switches with a life time warranty on them and 100Euros cheaper than the Netgear GS110TP.

With respect to the OP and all the kind people who have answered, I think you're going in a wrong direction here.

The basic network layer (OSI lvl 1 & 2, aka the switch) does not add much value -- it 'just needs to work', and making it 20% nicer isn't going to be really noticeable further up the application stack. Of course follow good suggestions from smart people in a forum like this, and get a decent model. But don't bother to optimize on the physical layer (fx jumbo frames on a SOHO switch). Treat it as a commodity, keep it at stock settings, and if a switch or NIC fails, just replace it right away.

The value is in the more intelligent gear -- the routing / firewall'ing and higher up in the stack the NAS and the networked music system. Use your optimization energy here.

Now, my thoughts on that gear:

Music player
Sonos is really great, far better integrated and more polished than Squeezebox and others. Consider not getting their remote, but just use their free software remote control from an iPod, iPhone or iPad. The iPad optimized remote should be forthcoming, and could be really nice if they make good use of the iPads large and nice screen. For near audiophile sound you want the small Sonos satellite station (ZP90 if memory serves); then connect it to a good external DAC, and then hide it away. The Sonos units use a proprietary mesh wireless network operating in the 2.4 GHz band (i.e. stomping on your wireless LAN channels).

If not Sonos, then a higher-end offering such as the Linn DS.

Storage
A good NAS box such as a Synology etc. or a FreeNAS is of course always a good call. But take a hard look at Windows Home Server (WHS) on a nice piece of hardware, such as HP's integrated offerings. A WHS based on Windows 2008 has been announced, so Microsoft is carrying the product line forward. A WHS box is more flexible and capable than (most) NAS boxes.

Routing and firewall'ing
Again, a good all-in-one router / firewall /wireless AP such as the ones given good reviews on this site is a good call.

If you want more tweakability and more options for VPN etc, then consider pfSense on a micro-PC (Intel Atom, PC Engines Alix appliances etc). In this scenario you'd have a cabled firewall, which you then connect to your wireless router and set up the router to be a pure access point.

If your firewalling needs are not that big, then just go with the integrated ready-made wireless router solution -- it has less administration / upkeep.

How should I connect to the net? Downstairs wireless router --> WAP in my office --> wired router --> switch etc (as above)? Note that the switch will still have its own WAP for running my stereo from my iPhone. I don't want this WAP to be internet in (preferably)

OR should I replace my router with a wireless router so it would then be downstairs wireless router --> new wireless router in my office --> switch?

Depends on the physical location, and the ease / difficulty of running cables. All things being equal, cables are much faster and much more reliable than wireless. You do not want internal routing (multiple routers) on such a small network. If you must connect segments via wireless links (try hard to avoid this), then use bridging.

So something like:
  • Downstairs ISP "Modem" / ADSL / converter box / whatever your ISP supplies (but not a router)
  • cabled to upstairs router+firewall+access-point, with dual channel dual radio
  • cabled to switch for main (stationary) PCs & NAS
  • using the 2.4 GHz spectrum running <54 Mbps "G" for your music systems etc
  • using 5 GHz running <300 MBps "N" for your (laptop) PC's (NB: Requires NICs that can do 5 GHz).

Make it a priority to give your wireless AP good line of sight to as many important wireless clients as possible. If your wireless transmitter is best kept downstairs for this reason, then just set it up downstairs and run a longer cable up to the switch in the upstairs office.

HTH,

Last edited: