What's new

conflict with dnsmasq and manually assigned IPs using the DHCP server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

grantiago

Occasional Visitor
I started out with a several questions. In writing this post, I answered a couple of them myself.
The remaining question is; Am I creating an IP conflict by having the same IP in both configurations: dnsmasq.conf.add and DHCP servers tab?

I have about a dozen manually assigned IPs using the MAC address in the -> lan -> dhcp servers tab.
I am also running dnsmasq to assign some domains on on my local apache server.

Should remove the server IP from the lan -> dhcp servers tab and set it in the dnsmasq.conf.add with:
dhcp-host=DC:4A:3E:44:25:AF,192.168.1.21 #hill server
The -> lan -> dhcp servers tab:
Code:
hill cam back  9C:8E:CD:1E:C4:48  192.168.1.22    Default    hillcam1
hill cam front  9C:8E:CD:1E:CA:E9 192.168.1.25    Default    hillcam2
apache server  DC:A6:32:EC:F7:68  192.168.1.21    Default hillserver # this one is the question?!
hpEnvy DC:4A:3E:44:25:AF  192.168.1.2    Default    hpenvy 
etc.
IN the basic settings RT-AC86U's Domain Name is set to lan. All of the above are accessible over http. For example http://hillcam1.lan

The dnsmasq.conf.add file:
Code:
###/jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
### lan assignments
address=/hills.lan/192.168.1.21
address=/grant.lan/192.168.1.21
address=/etc.lan/foo.lan/ansoforth.lan/192.168.1.21

My network is stable. Occasionally I see "Network error: Software caused connection abort" on any running putty terminals. Usually when I leave a terminal running through the night. I guess that means I have two remaining questions.

My hardware setup:
Asus rt-ac86u running merlin 386.5_2 as a mesh router
rt-ac68u on latest stock Asus firmware as a mesh node.
Netgear GS108 switch

I hope I have made myself clear.

Thanks for the hard work and resulting Asus firmware. SNB is my go to site for network questions and searches. I'm more of a reader than poster.

Last edited:
The remaining question is; Am I creating an IP conflict by having the same IP in both configurations: dnsmasq.conf and DHCP servers tab?
This makes no sense. The options in the GUI are used to create the dnsmasq.conf file. You can't directly edit that file, you have to use a .add or .postconf file.

EDIT: OK it looks like you're using a dnsmasq.conf.add file to add the address lines. You should remove those lines as they are redundant. The reserved host names specified in the GUI are added to the /etc hosts file which takes presence over dnsmasq. So while dnsmasq will not object to the having two entries for the same thing it's pointless.

Last edited:
sorry it is the /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add
and the lan tab: edit I removed this as it had my mac addresses.

Last edited:
Sorry, I've just re-read you original post and realised that I missed to point of your question. :rolleyes: Let me think about it.

Thanks. As I am sure you know, the apache vhosts handle the dnsmasq redundancy. Once that redirect hits the server Apache will send the request to the proper directory. Without those directives the different urls will go to the default /www/public_html/ directory at 192.168.1.21

It's just so I can be lazy and type in a short url, without IPs or drilling through the directory structures. Let me know.

OK that all looks fine as it is.

I would leave the GUI DHCP as the only definition for the server's "real" name (hillserver). So this name-to-IP would be resolvable regardless of whether you're using short names or FQDN's, and whether or not the server is a DHCP client or statically configured.

Then you just have the alias names for Apache's virtual hosts in dnsmasq.conf.add. The only potential issue is that short names (e.g. ansoforth) might not be resolvable by LAN clients, but that depends on the client's OS.

Thanks. I appreciate your time and advice.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!