What's new

Connecting 2 buildings to share resources

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shawie60

New Around Here
Hi guys, I support a local trust that wants to share resources ( files & outlook calender if possible and mail each other directly )
Currently both offices are in the same block but seperated by 2-3 shops covering a distance of about 30 ft.
Both have independant ISP's and their own peer to peer network, due mainly to the fact that as a trust there interests have grown and changed.
Running a cable between the two isnt a problem, and had there been only 1 ISP things would be easier, but because both are on the edge of the server range ( according to both ISP's) the bandwidth is limited and just using one ISP might stretch resources too much.
So I'm after suggestions as the easiest, most cost effective way of linking the two together and sharing the items mentioned above.
As a charity cost is always a factor.
Id guess some sort of server would be needed but I dont have a great deal of experience in server technology.
I'm wiling to put the time in to learn if need be. Any guidence on 'hands on' books/guides would be appreciated also.
many thanks in advance,
glenn

Well, this depends on the network setup. Are they using low end equpment, or is it possible to do traffic shaping on the network? In terms of Cisco, it would be something like VLans and access rules.

Network one Addresses:
10.150.10.x
Network two:
10.160.10.x

Then run a network cable from building to building, setting up a set vlan on both switches with access rules for the set IP address. Say network one types in a host name with a 10.16010.16 address. Instead of routing out to the web, the switch would rout the traffic to the set port, and into network two.

You're starting to get into high end networking at this point, this is really just a start. Depending on your setup, it might also require settings on the DNS server, or the DNS servers working with each other (Something like a Domain Trust in AD). If you need to pass UDP data across the VLan, you will also need to set IP helpers pushing the data accross to specific IP addresses.

If you want to opt for more security you could place two routers on either side, acting as a sort of frame-relay, keeping unwanted eyes from prying into the other network. Something easily done with two Cisco 2600's (Which are dirt cheap these days).

Anyway, this is kind of a high level idea... Just the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

Well, this depends on the network setup. Are they using low end equpment, or is it possible to do traffic shaping on the network? In terms of Cisco, it would be something like VLans and access rules.

Network one Addresses:
10.150.10.x
Network two:
10.160.10.x

Then run a network cable from building to building, setting up a set vlan on both switches with access rules for the set IP address. Say network one types in a host name with a 10.16010.16 address. Instead of routing out to the web, the switch would rout the traffic to the set port, and into network two.

You're starting to get into high end networking at this point, this is really just a start. Depending on your setup, it might also require settings on the DNS server, or the DNS servers working with each other (Something like a Domain Trust in AD). If you need to pass UDP data across the VLan, you will also need to set IP helpers pushing the data accross to specific IP addresses.

If you want to opt for more security you could place two routers on either side, acting as a sort of frame-relay, keeping unwanted eyes from prying into the other network. Something easily done with two Cisco 2600's (Which are dirt cheap these days).

Anyway, this is kind of a high level idea... Just the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

thanks for the input, but unfortunately they are low cost equipment running the setup, 2 x netgear routers & 2 x switches with ip addressing in the range of 192.168.0.2 etc

In that case, the only way I could see this working, is if you static the IP addresses.

Have both buildings running on the same IP scheme, with the same subnet.

Something like this:

Router 1 IP 192.168.10.1
Subnet 255.255.255.0
DNS 4.2.2.2
DNS 4.2.2.3

Computer1 IP 192.168.10.01
Subnet 255.255.255.0
DNS 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3
Gateway 4.2.2.3 (This says to use the router in company 1)

Router2 IP 192.168.10.200
Subnet 255.255.255.0
DNS 4.2.2.2
DNS 4.2.2.3

PC 2 Ip 192.168.10.201
Subnet 255.255.255.0
DNS 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3
Gateway 192.168.10.200

You may also be able to use a larget subnet, assuming you need more addresses with something like this (Someone correct me if consumor grade stuff can't take the larger subnet).

Router1 IP 10.150.8.1
Subnet 255.255.254.0

Router2 IP 10.150.9.1
Subnet 255.255.254.0

the 254 subnet covers both the 9 and 10 lan ID's, assuming the routers can follow that schema (Allowing twice the number of IP's on the same subnet).

I would say static them so you don't have two DHCP servers fighting on the same network. If you want to see the other side of the network, you will have to use direct IP address (As I'm guessing you don't have a DNS server running). This shouldn't be to big of a change, if you're just mapping drives/adding printers.

Mind you this is just an idea.. I can't say if it will work or not. Might want to wait for someone with better knowing of the linksys/netgear/d-link range to respond their opinion..