What's new

Continued drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vooloo

Occasional Visitor
I have an AC 5300 updated to latest firmware 386.11. Been experience constant drops throughout the day on both wireless and wired.
In lamen terms any suggestions?

You need to provide a lot more information.

It could be router, modem or Isp /incoming line.

What service do you have , cable, adsl , vdsl , fttc , fttp?

What do the logs say?

I have an AC 5300 updated to latest firmware 386.11. Been experience constant drops throughout the day on both wireless and wired.
In lamen terms any suggestions?
Here is a log I do not know how to read.
You need to provide a lot more information.

It could be router, modem or Isp /incoming line.

What service do you have , cable, adsl , vdsl , fttc , fttp?
cable. I have an older hitron modem. Upgrading on Tuesday. The drops are all day. Never been this bad.

Unfortunately your log file doesn't contain any useful information because it only covers two hours as it's swamped with connection messages from your Samsung device BC:8C:CD:26:22:C2. Try turning off that device and then repost the new log after the problem has been occurring for a few hours.

Did this problem start immediately after installing 386.11 or some time later?

Unfortunately your log file doesn't contain any useful information because it only covers two hours as it's swamped with connection messages from your Samsung device BC:8C:CD:26:22:C2. Try turning off that device and then repost the new log after the problem has been occurring for a few hours.

Did this problem start immediately after installing 386.11 or some time later?
K will do. It just started recently. 386.11 has been fine up till now.

running asus mertin on my RTac5300. Just updated firmware to 386.12.
It’s fairly common for my router to drop often when there is a new firmware update (prior to updating it). Once in update it it works well. Is this normal?

In a long run I would be looking for replacement. This router is on End-of-Life list, no future firmware or security updates are expected. This router also has quite frequent user complaints about connection issues. I had one to play with with failing intermittent issues radio. Temporary solution, an attempt to prolong its life - start fresh with clean firmware and don't change the default Wi-Fi settings too much. Use non-DFS channels only, 80MHz fixed for 5GHz radios and 20MHz fixed for 2.4GHz radio. Disable non-standard Universal Beamforming and TurboQAM, disable Airtime Fairness. Re-connect your clients with issues, forget the connection and connect again. There is no universal stability advice. You have to know the issue you are dealing with.

Looking to replace. Any suggestions? The range of this router is amazing. If it weren’t for the drops I’d never get rid of it.

Drops do not happen on wired connections. What is happening?

It’s happening with both wired and wireless. It cuts out, have to reboot the router. Happens every few weeks

It’s happening with both wired and wireless. It cuts out, have to reboot the router. Happens every few weeks

What cuts out? Internet? Talk to your ISP.

Need a better description. Your connection goes hard down like you see it actually disconnected, or it is connected but can't get an IP address, or has an IP but can't get on the internet, etc? Are you positive it isn't your ISP device or connection having issues?

A hard reset of the Asus and manual reconfigure may solve it. The newest firmware versions have known NVRAM issues on older routers and that could be to blame. Factory reset will clear out a lot of the old junk.

Or try going back to 386.7_2 which is a very stable version with no NVRAM problems and currently no security issues or anything that mandates it not be used. You say it was fine before 386.11 so I suspect you're having NVRAM problems or a compatibility issue potentially, so dropping back down may be your best bet.

Of course, it is possible the router is just dying, but worth attempting to save it.

Thx. Positive it’s not my ISP. The power light on the router goes out, no IP. I’ll do a hard reset and update to the version you’re suggesting.

Thx. Positive it’s not my ISP. The power light on the router goes out, no IP. I’ll do a hard reset and update to the version you’re suggesting.

If the power light goes out that's a hardware failure. Try the unplug and factory reset just as a hail mary but I'd plan on finding a replacement. It may just be the AC adapter, but more likely the router. If you can find a spare AC adapter with the same voltage and at least the same amperage (and it fits) you can give it a try.