What's new

Issues after upgrading to 386.12_x AC88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sykogee

Occasional Visitor
Hi

im looking for your expertise to diagnose an issue I have with an Asus AC88U that has been running 386.11 and hasnt had any issues.
Recently I downloaded the 386.12_0 & 386.12_2 firmware and installed, on rebooting the new firmware, the 5Ghz wifi was not appearing on any of my devices, 2.4Gh was available however.

I tried a facotry reset from the gui and also 30,30,30 reboot, but the 5Ghz wifi was not broadcasting.
I have since rolled back to 386.11 firmware and all is ok again and both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi are available and stable.

Can someone suggest what the issue could be with new firmware and the AC88U router?

Thanks in advance

30-30-30 reset does nothing on Asus routers. The AC88U is listed as End of Life and it may be time to pick up another router.

30-30-30 reset does nothing on Asus routers. The AC88U is listed as End of Life and it may be time to pick up another router.
Hey, thanks for the tip about the 30,30,30 not doing anything on Asus routers, obviously read some rubbish articles.

Id be intrested to know what the issue is with newer merlin firmware and my AC88U.
When it finally completely dies or goes unsupported with merlin fw ill get around to replacing it

How long are you waiting for 5GHz to come up?

Are you using amtm with a USB drive? And plugging that drive back into the router after you reset it? Before formatting it on a PC to NTFS format?

Are you verifying that the firmware flashes properly?

You may need to use the Nuclear Reset to get your router to a good/known state on the latest firmware.

How long are you waiting for 5GHz to come up?

Are you using amtm with a USB drive? And plugging that drive back into the router after you reset it? Before formatting it on a PC to NTFS format?

Are you verifying that the firmware flashes properly?

You may need to use the Nuclear Reset to get your router to a good/known state on the latest firmware.
Hi,

I left the router running for about an hour after flashing the firmware, checking various devices if the 5Ghz network appears at different intervals, on one laptop I run inssider and also monitor the available wifi networks from there

I havent used amtm previously, I download the update file on a wired PC and upload it via the GUI, I take a backup of the config prior to updating.

After the firmware has installed and the router has rebooted, I run a factory reset from the GUI and let it reboot and after which I reboot it again physically powering it off and removing the cable for 30 seconds then power it back on and let the router sit for about an hour before I jump on and restore any settings, subnet etc

The 386.12_0 & 2 were running on the router for about a day each, while i was testing, before I rolled back to 386.11

On rolling the firmware back to 386.11 the 5GHz wifi appears approx 5 mins after rebooting

Is there anything I should be doing when upgrading to 386.12 to verify it was successful, or after after the upgrade completes?
if it is faulty hardware, then im happy to replace it, but if is something that can be resolved that would be good to find out

By restoring the backup config files you're creating on the older firmware, you're effectively negating the full reset you did.

Do not use a saved backup config file to configure the router and connect to your ISP. Instead, perform a minimal and manual configuration.

If you find that doing the above still gives you unsatisfactory results, the following link may help you determine if your router is faulty or not.

See the link above titled Nuclear Reset.

I would also not be running inssider at all. Known to mess with, and skew the wireless results you are persuing.

Last edited:
Hi,

I left the router running for about an hour after flashing the firmware, checking various devices if the 5Ghz network appears at different intervals, on one laptop I run inssider and also monitor the available wifi networks from there

I havent used amtm previously, I download the update file on a wired PC and upload it via the GUI, I take a backup of the config prior to updating.

After the firmware has installed and the router has rebooted, I run a factory reset from the GUI and let it reboot and after which I reboot it again physically powering it off and removing the cable for 30 seconds then power it back on and let the router sit for about an hour before I jump on and restore any settings, subnet etc

The 386.12_0 & 2 were running on the router for about a day each, while i was testing, before I rolled back to 386.11

On rolling the firmware back to 386.11 the 5GHz wifi appears approx 5 mins after rebooting

Is there anything I should be doing when upgrading to 386.12 to verify it was successful, or after after the upgrade completes?
if it is faulty hardware, then im happy to replace it, but if is something that can be resolved that would be good to find out

Sorry if you already tried it, but just trying to help...

When you upgrade the firmware, do you have any usb disks or sticks attached to the router? If so try unplugging all usb devices before upgrading. And let them be unplugged until you see if the router can behave normally again.

After you have upgraded the firmware, booted and waited a bit. You say you are doing a factory reset from GUI. When you are doing the GUI factory reset, are you also thicking the box beside which says Initialize ? If not try that.

And after all this and 15 minutes with all cables unplugged (also network cables), and leave the power button on during this time.

And when you are restoring any settings, subnet etc, you are not reading in some backup config file, but manually punching in all the settings again? If not, try to manually configure the router and not use/read in any backupfile of any kind

Last edited:
Thanks for all the help and advice.
I have tested with uploading the firmware 386.12_2 again, this time I performed a Nuclear reset powering on while holding the WPS button down untill the power led went off.

From a wired PC I configured the router with the minmal setting by typing the ISP detail and configuring a WPA password and no other config.
I rebooted and left the router, meanwhile I was checking if the 5Ghz network appeared from a laptop, the 2.4Ghz became available after 2-3 mins from the reboot, however it was about 35mins untill the 5GHz became available. So it looks like the Hard reset after the upgrade helped.

I connected a few devices 1 laptop and 2 phones to the 5Ghz wifi. I ran a speed test from each wifi device and the wired PC.
Previously the wifi devices were hitting about 400Mbs download, this time they were only hitting around 130Mbs, even copying a bunch of files from the PC wasnt going over 130 - 140Mbs

A speed test from the PC I was getting a constant 612Mbs (my max internet speed)

I tried different channels, but each time saving I had to wait arround 35mins again to connect to the 5Ghz.
After a few of hours testing, Ive rolled back to 386.11 - again performing a hard reset and entering a minimal config (WAN and WIFI)
After another reboot the 5Ghz was available after 2 -3 mins and connected the same devices 1 laptop and 2 phones, this time the speed test was back to the higher speeds 400 + Mbs
Wired speed test was still the same 612Mbs

Does it sound like a failing router?

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help and advice, I think as you suggest I'll stick with 386.11 for the time being. Looks as though there are others having similar issues

Looks like I'm not the only person having 5Ghz dropping out my devices stay connected for about an error then drop to mobile data/nothing but for me it's been ever since 386.9.0 firmware which makes me think mine is more my WiFi settings.

Want the GT-AX6000 but no Black Friday drops this year :( Senetic have it cheapest at £223 but site don't look UK based and selling imports, sketchy!

Nearly brought it last year Black Friday but by the time I decide OK FINE it went up in price just my luck!

@L&LD in order to full reset my router (AC88U) to factory Asus before switching to Merlin which steps should I follow? the nuclear reset thread?

@L&LD in order to full reset my router (AC88U) to factory Asus before switching to Merlin which steps should I follow? the nuclear reset thread?

Is it currently running stock firmware or RMerlin firmware? Is it having issues already? One single issue, or multiple/random ones?

It is easy enough to flash (from RMerlin to RMerlin) and see if the issue is fixed. If not, proceed with a reset.

Normally, a single reset (WPS button method) is enough. A Nuclear Reset is only suggested if the router is showing it isn't in a good/known state, even after performing a single reset.

Of course, do this only after flashing the firmware you want to use/test, if you want to test it without worrying about any previous version interactions with it. But, just/only doing so before, is not the same thing. Even if it has sometimes helped people to allow them to flash the latest firmware they want to use, it should still be done again, after a successful flash to the one wanted/required.

Is it currently running stock firmware or RMerlin firmware? Is it having issues already? One single issue, or multiple/random ones?

It is easy enough to flash (from RMerlin to RMerlin) and see if the issue is fixed. If not, proceed with a reset.

Normally, a single reset (WPS button method) is enough. A Nuclear Reset is only suggested if the router is showing it isn't in a good/known state, even after performing a single reset.

Of course, do this only after flashing the firmware you want to use/test, if you want to test it without worrying about any previous version interactions with it. But, just/only doing so before, is not the same thing. Even if it has sometimes helped people to allow them to flash the latest firmware they want to use, it should still be done again, after a successful flash to the one wanted/required.
Hi,

It's currently running 386.12_2 Merlin. However, I'm thinking of resetting it back to stock so all settings are defaults then re-installing Merlin starting fresh? But not sure which steps I should follow, WPS reset then?

It's just Wi-Fi 5Ghz issue and WIRED issue (something on my router blocks Call of Duty no clue what) I've to
1) go back to ISP router while I play COD or
2) Play COD on a VPN with ASUS router but = higher latency 200ms+

Can't work out for the life of me what's blocking COD 'Waiting for networking' I don't use any Trend Micro services or what not (did try to just to see if they'd allow COD but nope so withdraw after no improvement).

Like the OP my 5Ghz drops after an hour or so and won't auto reconnect unless I got to Settings > Wi-Fi > Tap my network again (or sometimes 5GHz SSID just disappears until I reboot router).

No, you're confused about what resetting does.

First flash the firmware you want.

Then, reset to factory defaults.

This ensures that the defaults the currently installed firmware is using are the expected ones (and, there are no unknown/glitchy interactions with previous/other firmware versions' variables/settings).

If you reset the firmware installed to factory defaults, and then install a different version (particularly if switching between stock Asus and RMerlin firmware), a further full reset is required.

Full Reset (overview). See the links above for details.
  • Always flash the firmware you want first. Be sure it actually installed (see the GUI).
  • Perform a full reset to factory defaults using the WPS button method appropriate for your router (see first link above). Or, using the GUI and also Checking the box to 'Initialize all settings...' before hitting the Restore button. Or, using the Reset button on the back of the router.
  • If the router is still not responding as expected (i.e. not in a good/known state), then the Nuclear Reset method may help, or at least point to an actual (possible) hardware/firmware failure.
  • After performing each full reset;
    • Do not import any saved backup config files. This will negate the full reset just performed.
    • Do not insert any USB drives (at least during the testing phase).
    • And particularly do not insert any USB drives that were previously used for amtm/scripts, and have not been formatted on a PC to NTFS format - before inserting them into the router.
    • Configure the router minimally and manually (again, see links above for details), and do not toggle settings on/off (turning (some of) them back to 'off' isn't the same as leaving them 'off' in the first place), to connect to your ISP, and secure the router.

Flashing previous versions of the firmware does not start the router 'fresh'.

Performing a full reset while the firmware you want to use is installed, does.

No, you're confused about what resetting does.

First flash the firmware you want.

Then, reset to factory defaults.

This ensures that the defaults the currently installed firmware is using are the expected ones (and, there are no unknown/glitchy interactions with previous/other firmware versions' variables/settings).

If you reset the firmware installed to factory defaults, and then install a different version (particularly if switching between stock Asus and RMerlin firmware), a further full reset is required.

Full Reset (overview). See the links above for details.
  • Always flash the firmware you want first. Be sure it actually installed (see the GUI).
  • Perform a full reset to factory defaults using the WPS button method appropriate for your router (see first link above). Or, using the GUI and also Checking the box to 'Initialize all settings...' before hitting the Restore button. Or, using the Reset button on the back of the router.
  • If the router is still not responding as expected (i.e. not in a good/known state), then the Nuclear Reset method may help, or at least point to an actual (possible) hardware/firmware failure.
  • After performing each full reset;
    • Do not import any saved backup config files. This will negate the full reset just performed.
    • Do not insert any USB drives (at least during the testing phase).
    • And particularly do not insert any USB drives that were previously used for amtm/scripts, and have not been formatted on a PC to NTFS format - before inserting them into the router.
    • Configure the router minimally and manually (again, see links above for details), and do not toggle settings on/off (turning (some of) them back to 'off' isn't the same as leaving them 'off' in the first place), to connect to your ISP, and secure the router.

Flashing previous versions of the firmware does not start the router 'fresh'.

Performing a full reset while the firmware you want to use is installed, does.

Thank you! I finally got around to doing this and starting again last week.

However, now 2.5Ghz is dropping from smart home devices and 5.0GHz is now fine and doesn't drop (the opposite).

I'm running 386.12.4. I've not made any customizations to anything in the Router GUI yet in regards to WiFi as I've left it a week to stabilize with defaults I know WiFi is environment dependent and can't just copy someone's settings on here.

Also is 1Gbps the max speed the RT-AC88U can handle? I've a new 1.6Gbps line from Openreach/EE (UK) but never see that speed (I've a 2.5Gbps NIC in m PC) not too fussed as 1Gbps is pretty quick anyway just thought I'd ask.

Might upgrade my router just can't decide which model to upgrade too? is the GT-AX6000 still the go-to?

Last edited:
Hi All
So after some time, I decided to try to upgrade to the latest 386.12_6 firmware after I downgraded back to 386.11_0 some weeks ago on my AC88U router.
I was hopeful that the latest version would resolve the previous issues I experienced with with 386.12_x versions namely the 5Ghz WiFi being unavailable.
I did the upgrade and then followed by a factory reset. After which I only added back the ISP details and WiFi security settings

After waiting for an hour only the 2.4Ghz WiFi was able to be connected to from any of my devices, the 5Ghz SSID didnt even display.
I powered off the router for a couple of mins and powered back on, waiting approx 20mins but still no 5GHz showing on any of my devices

Is there still an issue with the current .12x firmware, is anyone else seeing the same issues or is it just my AC88U?

I have now rolled back to 386.11_0 and all is working again

Are you using DFS channels on 5GHz band?

Select fixed control channel 36 at 80MHz wide for 5GHz radio and try again.

Are you using DFS channels on 5GHz band?

Select fixed control channel 36 at 80MHz wide for 5GHz radio and try again.
No, Its not checked to use DFS channels, its just set to Auto for the Control Channel and Extension (currently using 64) and 24/40/80 Bandwidth

I will give it a try this evening and see if it helps

currently using 64

Control channel 64 is in DFS range. Use 36-48 or 149-161 (if available) only and test again.

Does this same router work properly on latest available stock Asuswrt firmware? I know it's EoL model, but for testing purposes.