What's new

Creating Guest network in Aimesh for RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Profaniter

New Around Here
Posting here for a first time, any help would be appreciated!

I just purchased Asus RT-AX86U, two of them so I can create AiMesh network. I'd have to say I'm loving this router so far. upgrading from Linksys Velop AC6600 (3-pack).

Question: they're all set up but I haven't create Guest Wifi Network, can I do so since I added a second one for AiMesh?

Thank you!

Posting here for a first time, any help would be appreciated!

I just purchased Asus RT-AX86U, two of them so I can create AiMesh network. I'd have to say I'm loving this router so far. upgrading from Linksys Velop AC6600 (3-pack).

Question: they're all set up but I haven't create Guest Wifi Network, can I do so since I added a second one for AiMesh?

Thank you!

Yes, the first Guest WLANs (index1 as seen in router lists/logs) will sync to all nodes, if you set them to. Note that those guest wireless clients will be issued IP addresses different from the main IP Pool. Inspect and confirm this and that guests cannot access your non-guest LAN and WLANs.

(Second and third Guest WLANs do not sync to remote nodes, last I knew.)

That said, I have not used the AX86U so trust but verify operation.

OE

Yes, the first Guest WLANs (index1 as seen in router lists/logs) will sync to all nodes, if you set them to. Note that those guest wireless clients will be issued IP addresses different from the main IP Pool. Inspect and confirm this and that guests cannot access your non-guest LAN and WLANs.

That said, I have not used the AX86U so trust but verify operation.

OE
okay so I went to the app and I found Guest Network, I'm trying to understand why it's giving me the option "Router Only" or "All AiMesh Node(s)"? which one should I choose?

okay so I went to the app and I found Guest Network, I'm trying to understand why it's giving me the option "Router Only" or "All AiMesh Node(s)"? which one should I choose?

Your AiMesh has two nodes... the router/root node (AiMesh router) and the remote node (AiMesh node). Every node is an access point (AP) that can broadcast WiFi signals. Only the first Guest WLANs can be configured to broadcast from all nodes, if you set them to do so.

So you decide... broadcast from router only? OR, broadcast from all nodes? The typical usage is to broadcast from all nodes to extend your guest WLAN coverage as far as possible.

A WiFi Analyzer app is useful for seeing the signals around you to know what is going on, radio-wise.

OE

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!